PS3 Webman fan mod fan speed

Discussion in 'webMAN MOD' started by vr6cer, May 12, 2018.

1. 79
    vr6cer

vr6cer Member

Hi Everyone,

How safe to use webman fan mod with a minimum fan speed at 40% and with a maximum of 65°C? Is it wear the cooling fan if I use my system like this, faster than with the default sysconfig settings? Fortunately with this fan mod settings the fans are not annoying loud, but even during heavy gaming, the fan speed never goes above 50% and the cpu and gpu are both nearly or below 65°C. My machine is a ps3 slim cech2103a with rebug 4.82.2 cfw (dex mode, cobra enabled).

Thank you for all of your help and advise.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

2. 12,892
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I'd say fairly safe. I've never personally heard of anyone blowing out the fans by doing this. if the ps3 is anything like the 360, the syscon fan speed doesn't increase until it's close to the danger zone. on the 360, the danger zone is between 90-100 C while the fans don't kick in 'til around 80-85 C. I believe both systems are opted for quieter gaming rather than preventing rood/ylod. I'd suggest using that option.

edit: btw, the danger zone is at which point the system will shut off (probably displaying an overheating message). you don't want it to get to that point.

vr6cer and bitsbubba like this.
  3. 7,066
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

As with all mechanical parts, if you spin it faster it will degrade faster :)
    The deagradation happens in the bearings (i guess are balls, i tryed but never opened any PS3 fan because are "sealed")
    But this doesnt matters much, in the worst scenario with lot of degradation in the bearing balls it will start making more noise

And 65ºC is a good target temp btw, it keeps a "security margin" just incase
    With this i mean... 75ºC is aceptable too but only theoretically because is too close to the limit (over 80ºC = problems)
    Is not a good idea to configure it so close to the limit because any small variation (of ambient temperature, or fast "heat peaks" that happens inside games) is going to push you to the "danger zone" (over 80ºC)

vr6cer and bitsbubba like this.
  4. 12,892
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

:-p

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    aldostools, HNat, DADi590 and 2 others like this.
  5. 9
    HNat

HNat Forum Noob

Someone should add that playing when temps reach 90 degrees.

6. 12,892
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

90 is dangerous both the 360/ps3 don't increase fan speed until the system gets really hot. don't let the system get that hot.

7. 9
    HNat

HNat Forum Noob

Sorry for the useless reply, what I meant was someone should make like an plugin or something that plays top gun-danger zone when the processor reaches 90 degrees because, you know, that's the danger zone of the processor temperature. Sorry for the useless idea.

8. 1,381
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

Usually if mine goes over 75c, it's time to tear the damn thing apart and either fix it, or replace it.
    My current model doesn't go over 68 on full load after 6 hours of gameplay (gtaV, COD:Ghosts, Last of Us, Evil Within, Assassin's Creed 3/4/Rogue) :)

Algol likes this.
  9. 12,892
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

there will be a notification that the system is overheating. if it's above a certain amount, the system will shut off.

aldostools likes this.
  10. 6
    Zurdonx

Zurdonx Forum Noob

For a PS3 Slim 25xxxx what is the normal speed of the fan without having fan control enabled (sony's settings)? Im getting 70c ~ 75c which is very hot, so what would be the ideal settings to keep my ps3 below 70 but without forcing the fan too much?

11. 7,066
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

With the official factory settings the fan speed varies in relationship with the temperature
    Is made by storing up to 12 temperature values (or perhaps more) and the fan speed associated with them
    As example, in a CECH25xx, when the temperature reaches 70ºC the fan speed changes to 0x4A (29% speed)
    It can be seen in this table https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Thermal#Fan_settings_per_PS3_model_based_on_syscon_data_reads

You should not worry about forcing the fan, there are not important risks other than we are shorting the lifetime of the fan a bit, and we are only increasing the speed a bit, the fans can handle it

Like all the parts that moves and have some "friction" in between parts, the most they moves the most noises are going to do, or will start doing noises in different frequencies, this could happen with a very weared out fan, but most probably you will not notice it, and even if it does noises is not going to stop working suddenly

Also, a fan is a replacement part, we are adding a bigger effort in it to protect the motherboard, but is worthy because a fan is cheap, is better to break the fan than the motherboard :P

Algol, Zurdonx and Coldheart2236 like this.
  12. 6
    Zurdonx

Zurdonx Forum Noob

Okay, ¡Gracias por la respuesta, Sandungas! :encouragement:

Okay, Thank you so much for the reply! :encouragement:

sandungas likes this.