PS3 Webman Mod and Multiman Artwork

Discussion in 'webMAN MOD' started by pinky, Feb 23, 2018.

1. 12,369
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

does anyone know of a good, lump sum of artwork for these two? I'm wanting a large supply of them mostly for ps2 games. I have to keep resizing images at present which gets annoying. I have to find the title id first (gamefaqs), then find the accompanying artwork in the multiman's retro cover folder. apparently, multiman and webman mod have changed the dimensions of artwork from 260x300 to 140x200. maybe it's always been like the latter one? however, the ones I found were the former size. if the size is incorrect, multiman will either have an empty box saying something like no image to display or a disc icon with no image; webman mod will just have infinite loading on the image.

2. 43
    ChrxnicMods

ChrxnicMods Member

All of my PSP/PSX/PS2 cover art is set at 500x600 in jpg format and all show up flawless via webman.

pinky likes this.
  3. 12,369
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I'll try that size. I'm still an amateur with photoshop. I found the scripts' section to batch resize though. if that size doesn't work for some reason, I'll just have to settle for the size I know works. I vaguely recall using cobra on 3.55, and I don't remember having to resize anything. I think the images were already inside the retro covers folder. however, the image was much larger (perhaps the size you're using) from what I recall.

ChrxnicMods likes this.
  4. 6,426
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

260x300 matches exactly the proportions (a.k.a aspect ratio) of a real PS3 cover
    The exact size in milimeters of a real PS3 cover is 130x150 milimeters... so whoever imagined that pixel sizes for the cover images... meassured it "in real world" in milimeters and multiplyed it by 2, heheh

By following this rule you can use bigger sizes if you multiply it by 3... so 390x450 preserves the original aspect ratio too, all this sizes preserves aspect ratio:
    -130x150 pixels (multiplyed by 1)
    -260x300 pixels (multiplyed by 2)
    -390x450 pixels (multiplyed by 3)
    -520x600 pixels (multiplyed by 4)
    -65x75 pixels (divided by 2)
    -13x15 pixels (divided by 10) <--- this is the minimal common, can be used to apply "scale factors" to it

It can be said that the PS3 covers has an aspect ratio of 13:15

-------------
    Bigger size means more quality but is needed to consider the size used to display them
    If are going to be displayed at lets say... 100x200 then is completly pointless to create the images in bigger sizes

-------------
    Also, for webman covers are displayed using the default XMB icon size for that category (that i dont remember which one is it), but this size breaks the original aspect ratio
    To bypass this problem you can add a transparent area at the sides of the covers
    But i dont remember the sizes used in that XMB icons, so i cant tell accurate meassures

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    pinky likes this.
  5. 12,369
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I'm confused why 140x200 works, but the original image size doesn't. with mm, it shows a box cover with no image; with webman mod, it has infinite loading with the box art.. I think I got that size from mm converted to wmm since wmm seems to take the artwork from mm and resizes it.

6. 6,426
    sandungas

All i remember is in XMB are displayed as an square, this is why the PS1 covers looks fine (preserves original aspect ratio) because in real world are close to an square
    But the others (PS3, PS2, PSP) are streched when displayed (deformed), in this ones is where is needed to add a transparent area at the sides to create the cover image as an square

And XMB is suposed to scale them up/down if needed (to cover the whole surface of that reserved square used for that icons), i think XMB doesnt cares about original sizes because are going to be scaled anyway unless you use an image that matches exactly the size used by XMB for that icons (in this case XMB should not apply any scale effect because is not needed)

pinky likes this.
  7. 12,369
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

alright, 500x600 didn't work in either mm or webman mod. the original file size of 260x300 doesn't work in wmm but works in mm. 140x200 works in both. I'm batch converting all images to that size. with 260x300, the images look fat. also, someone converted all ps3, ps2, and psx images to the same size of 260x300. as you said it, psx and ps2/ps3 games have different dimensions, so these may look funny. I need to look at an actual mm download to see if the images in there are that way.

8. 9,173
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

@LizZo - Did i see some webMAN Mod Icons and Theme packs on the Cybermodding Store before?
    (Sorry do not know the web link off hand) ..

pinky likes this.
  9. 12,369
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I'm using the action option to resize all images automatically. there seem to be two ways (perhaps more) to do this in photoshop. one method opens each file, modifies it, and the image remains open. it seems to be subject to a 200 file opened limit. the other one opens and closes each image. that one can work in the thousands. it takes a bit of time though.

i had to delete mm to transfer the content since .JPG and .jpg were counted separately. I had two of every file basically. also, I think someone screwed up the folders. there were two retro folders. when I reinstalled mm, it only showed one. ? also, all images are the same size, so psx and ps2 images look the same.

10. 81
    LizZo

LizZo Member

Those packs are outdated. We’ll update the packs and will let you know :)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

STLcardsWS and pinky like this.
  11. 12,369
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

thanks, guys. I resized everything using the action command. I had to find around 20 images online (gamefaqs and elsewhere). for some reason, gamefaqs doesn't list the images by title id, so I just left the window to filezilla open. anyway, I resized those images too, so now images for all ps2 games are being displayed. however, I'm a bit confused why psx, ps2, and ps3 (pan as well) games are displayed with the same proportions.

12. 6,426
    sandungas

Because XMB reserves an squared space for the icons
    Webman generates an .xml (where there is no info about icon sizes) and after that point all the work of displaying the icons rellies in XMB

This is why i did not understand why some of your previous covers was not displayed fine... you know XMB scales all icons "on the fly"... it doesnt cares about the real image size

--------
    And this is why some covers are streched up horizontally... to "fill" that square XMB reserves for the icon

To bypass this problem is why i suggested to add a transparent area at the sides of the cover (to create an square with it)... this way XMB will scale an square ---to---> another square
    So proportions are preserved

DeViL303 and pinky like this.
  13. 12,369
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I dunno. the normal size looks fat to me. it for sure doesn't display correctly in the xmb. however, I'm also having issues running ps2 games themselves. if I load up a ps2 game, webman mod stops working entirely. I've tried everything to get it to work just like with the icons, so I don't know what's going on. :(

14. 7,673
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Yes, as sandungas says, you will need to add transparent areas to some covers if you want proper proportions, the standard XMB icon is stretched/squashed to a perfect square regardless of resolution. PS1 covers are probably near enough as is.

sandungas and pinky like this.
  15. 12,369
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

alright, that makes sense. :) I just tried a 260x300 image, and somehow it worked. I don't understand why they weren't working before. once I get my new laptop back, I'll make a backup of my internal hdd (discarding any games I don't want) and check if the image size works. having a backup of the original 140x200....

16. 6,426
    sandungas

PS1 covers in real world are something like 250x248 milimeters (i just maked up the numers, are not this size, is to show the small difference in between width and height)
    Some backup managers (such managunz) displays them as a perfect square because this small difference is not notable at all, and this "rounding" simplifyes a lot the calculations when scalling them inside the app

So PS1 covers are displayed very well on webman because originally are an square, and XMB is scaling them to an square

But with the others it doesnt works so well, because originally are rectangles... and XMB converts them "on the fly" to squares :/

We was talking about the sizes of this icons time ago in another thread, i think we counted how many pixels XMB was using for them XD
    This should be the most efficient way to create covers for webman... using exactly that size XMB reserves for them... this way the scaling work that XMB does "on the fly" is not needed (because the image matches with the reserved area to display it in XMB)
    Maybe this could improve the loading speeds ;)

17. 6,426
    sandungas

Found it http://www.psx-place.com/threads/research-xmb-icons-resolution-and-scaling.13902/#post-80530
    Initially was some messages from a talk we had in another thread, that was moved to a separated thread because was interesting, later i wrote a superwall of texts about proportions XD

But the link im posting is to your message where you meassured them... so are 194x194
    All game covers for webman should have that size, using bigger cover images than that doesnt makes sense

--------------
    Edit:
    Just to be clear...
    When i say the correct image size to use for webman game covers is 194x194... is because im considering the better "display mode" this icon could have. In other words... in a TV at resolution 1080p... and when the icon is "on focus"
    If the original image has that exact size we are mantaining the quality for the best "display mode" posible

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  18. 6,426
    sandungas

19. 12,369
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

thanks. that might be too much work though. I did notice something about those original 260x300 (the ones that didn't work) and the new ones (the ones that did) - the ones that do work are over twice the size of the ones that don't, so maybe something was wrong with the original files? if that's the case, I'm only down to why I can't load more than one ps2 game. maybe it's the hdd. I do plan to replace it once I get some money.

20. 12,369
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@sandungas , you could probably use an action command to do all the work for you except one problem - all psx, ps2, and possibly psp games are lumped into one folder. is there a way to use the title id to know which is ps2 and which is psx?