PS3 Webman Mod and Multiman Artwork

Discussion in 'webMAN MOD' started by pinky, Feb 23, 2018.

1. 12,393
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I finally got 260x300 to work. I had to resize them with an action in photoshop. it was a simple action just to resize. since it didn't convert the images, I didn't have an issue doing over 10,000 images. I just kept the resolutions the same since it was too much work to redo things as png considering photoshop doesn't work right when converting and saving a large number of files. one thing I discovered is that mm looks in the ps2iso folder for artwork. I thought it looked in the retro folder of mm like webman mod does, but apparently it doesn't. I think artwork is supposed to be transferred from the retro folder to the ps2 folder, but it only transferred one piece of artwork and screwed up the second, so I transferred over the artwork from my pc to the ps2iso folder, renaming everything to reflect the iso's, and now everything works.

I'm starting to encounter more issues with my system such as crashing while exiting multiman or crashing after updating the game's database (after selecting restart ps3). then, I have those issues with ps2 games. I think my hdd is dying and I have no money to replace it. I plan to replace the hdd with a 1TB hdd (currently using a 750GB hdd for the past 8 years with very little play). I need to back it up, but I can't until I get my laptop back from repairs. I don't dare plug in any hdds to my old laptop since I think a powersurge caused bsod at random times and killed one of my hdds. that's my theory anyway. all of that was plugged into a dj power strip with toggle switches for each device. I've since replaced it with a surge protector which has 11 inputs and enough space in between them for those bulky ac adapters.. :)

I wish my hdd survived longer considering everything is starting to break. my 360's 1TB hdd still works without issue, so maybe nonuse affects the ps3 more? I play my wii u daily, and my hdd works like a champ. though, my vWii hdd died for some reason, but I think in that case, it was a defective drive, and since it was still under warranty, I got a replacement which is currently holding my ps3's internal hdd backup. my vWii backup is on two hdds since I love the system so much! if the hdd from my ps3 is still good, I'll just use it for my windows backup. I'm currently using a 500GB one for that which doesn't have my qcma backups on it. I did save those to two hdds as well. :D I'll probably just restore that if dell reinstalls the os. I do have the os files on a flash drive, the one I plan to use for ps4 pkgs. ;) I think it's 64GBs and very fast.

2. 12,393
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

@sandungas , I fixed up my artwork with my new ps3. they were 260x300 jpegs. I was going to redo the jpegs, but they can't display transparency. if you save it with transparency, the transparent part will turn white, so I went with the normal png. I thought I had problems with this before, mostly wmm not detecting certain dimensions. I resized my images to 134x192 with a transparent canvas (194x194). the images now look really nice on wmm. btw, I only have 2 ps2 isos on my system. :-p

sandungas likes this.
  3. 6,521
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Like this ?
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/webman-mod-and-multiman-artwork.16470/#post-103480
    I had to use a calculator to try to make use of the whole space in the best way posible
    The only thing i did that goes against this rule of using the most space available was that i left 1 pixel fully transparent "unused" all around to separate them vertically when they are "out of focus" in smaller size, the official XMB doesnt have this "gap" but i thought it could look better

The aspect ratios for PS3 is like this im going to quote myself because i had to re-read the thread today to remember the talk :)
    Basically... PS3 covers have an aspect ratio of 13:15

In other backup managers (not in webman) is recommended to use images of 260x300 but you can go over that
    Managunz have a mode (the FLOW 3D) where you can make a zoom of the cover+case in 3D at it fits almost the whole screen... is a bit huge... at that size you can see a bit of pixelation incase the image is 260x300... so in this case (and only if you use managunz FLOW3D mode) it can be worthy to use cover images at bigger sizes (always proportional to 13:15 aspect ratio for PS3)

And for the format... i used to have all game covers in JPG (created by me and saved at higest JPG quality available)... the quality is good but the JPG files are huge in bytes size
    Is better to have them in PNG always, the quality is good too and the size is much smaller