Well hello!

Discussion in 'Welcome - New Member Introductions' started by mije, Oct 20, 2018.

1. 4
    mije

mije Forum Noob

I chanced upon a gorgeous CECHA00 at a used shop here and snapped it up with the hopes of getting into the cfw/homebrew scene... but it seems like I am 10 days too late! Too bad... but in the meantime I can lurk and read and learn and hope for something!

2. 38
    dergamer1212

dergamer1212 Member

Which firmware Version has the console?

3. 1,602
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

Hi mije - welcome to PSX-Place. It's nice to see another PS3 fan join the community - I'm new as well. :)

As @dergamer1212 already asked, what firmware version is it running? If the console is still on 4.82, there is hope yet.
    That's a great attitude to have; learn what you can from the forum threads as there is much to learn. :)

There is a ton of information and knowledge within these pages. Read, learn and then if you're unsure or can't find the information you're looking for, go ahead and ask. There are some truly brilliant people here who are experts on the PS3 - a lot can be learned from their tutorials, advice and their overall input.

4. 4
    mije

mije Forum Noob

It appears to be on 4.82 still, so that's a relief. I wasn't sure if it had been updated before it was put up for sale. When I saw that there had just been an update I was cursing my bad luck so this is great news.

Nice to meet another new person! There's a lot of really fascinating stuff here, I'm going to have a lot to read about in the next while. I'm excited to get into this, I loved the homebrew stuff back when I had a Wii so that there's such a strong community for cfw/homebrew with the PS3 makes me very happy.

5. 1,602
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

It's definitely a good thing that it's still on 4.82, which means you can utilise PS3Xploit and install CFW. Just whatever you do, do not update to 4.83 from Sony as you'll be locked out of taking advantage of the exploit and the benefits of CFW. :)

dergamer1212 likes this.
  6. 38
    dergamer1212

dergamer1212 Member

Nice news you can run the Exploit. I do not know if you need the to use the proxy method so i can't help you sorry :( (but do not update you can use the exploit and install cfw afterwards)

7. 4
    mije

mije Forum Noob

I got the cfw installed without any problems! Looking forward to some fun times now that it's set up. Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

8. 145
    Incorruptable

Incorruptable Member

First thing i would do now you are on CFW, it monitor the temperature and see if you need to control the fan settings higher.

If you install webman mod, it allows you to monitor in game temps by pressing combination of ‘start + select’ while in the ‘ingamexmb’, otherwise it may be at risk of overheating.

9. 4
    mije

mije Forum Noob

Once I have a bit of time I'll get that set up, thanks for the rec!

I've read some stuff about cleaning out dust/checking the thermal paste, I wasn't sure if that was worth doing immediately or not.

10. 145
    Incorruptable

Incorruptable Member

Yes worth doing, but before you get to that which is a job requiring time, space and some skill as it has to be dismantled and reassembled, a software install to ramp up fan will ensure in the meantime it does not soar in temp risking killing the machine.

I have to do a full clean out job on my machine, but i know my temps are under control in the time between then and now.

The two links below will provide fan control, the second link being a dedicated fan control piece of homebrew.

http://store.brewology.com/ahomebrew.php?brewid=310

https://store.brewology.com/ahomebrew.php?brewid=234

Make sure you pick the 4.82 versions, very easy intermediate fix.