PS4 What on earth am I doing?

Discussion in 'PS4 Hardware' started by BwE, Aug 27, 2018.

1. 91
    BwE

BwE Developer

[​IMG]
    Well this is fun! It works well too. Turn on the controller, the AP appears! Connect, jailbreak, enjoy. Turn off console, the AP disappears! Simple.

2. 198
    Scorpion355

Scorpion355 Member

I don't know what you're talking about, but i like what you're doing...

3. 2,235
    Berion

Berion Developer

Probably powering from DS4 a BT access point with payolads. Cleaver and handy if I understand correctly. :)

4. 91
    BwE

BwE Developer

ESP8826 ^_^

Very handy. No touching or loading anything into anything! This project isn't quite finished... I still have to make a console embedded version, I will make a full tutorial or something when I do that. I already have the kit ready to go.

5. 2,235
    Berion

Berion Developer

However I see a one huge disadvantage. :P Power consumption, so it is much more battery draining. More painful when DS4 have much smaller battery (ok, accumulator) than DS3.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    clayson likes this.
  6. 91
    BwE

BwE Developer

Yeah I suppose so... But YOLO, right?

Haha nah this is why I am going to opt for the console embedded version that I am making.

7. 5,925
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

And using a switch ?

From controller battery to:
    switch in position 1 = ESP8826 (haxor mode)
    switch in position 2 = DS4 board (normal mode)

8. 5,925
    sandungas

*Bonus

Because you dont want to drill holes in the DS4 plastic "body" to add a custom (and ugly) switch...
    For the switch you could repurpose the "reset" button of the DS4 (you know... hidden inside a tiny hole at the back of DS4)

I dont know the circuit, and i cant imagine how to "repurpose it" (without disabling the normal "reset" function), but the idea is something like this:
    Reset sw pressed = haxor mode
    Reset sw not pressed = normal mode

9. 91
    BwE

BwE Developer

Yeah I was thinking a switch, but Id need a touch sensitive one so it can work through the plastic on the controller (some custom LED mods for controllers have this switch). I don't really want to cut into the controller just for a switch. I already have to cut the insides to be able to shut the controller with the ESP8826 in it.

Using the reset hole is impractical as you generally need a needle or something to press it anyways.

If I were GANGSTA id have a button combo turn it on and off

10. 5,925
    sandungas

I was thinking in building an small piece of plastic (with files, sandpaper, etc... precission manual job), with the form of a "column" of the diameter of the hole, and keep it permanently inside the hole

This way the plastic "column" goes out of the hole a bit... so is not a hole anymore but a very tiny "button" (and there is no need any tool to press it)

------------
    The DS4 has an small piece of plastic under the hole... is just that piece doesnt have the "column" im talking about (intended to fill the hole and go out)

An alternative is to stick a "column" (with glue) on top of that piece but i guess is not going to be strong enought (eventually will break)
    So i think is better to build it in a single piece (a copy of the original + column)

11. 91
    BwE

BwE Developer

I could actually maybe possibly wire it to the SHARE button... Its not like anybody uses it. Your idea sounds very exhausting!

12. 5,925
    sandungas

The work to make that piece is not much, having a good plastic material and good tools i guess you can make 5 or 6 in half an hour XD

The problem is the piece is very small, so is a precission work, is the kind of thing you are going to need to do a few "prototypes" of it, lol
    First version probably is ok... but you know if you repeat it second version will be better... and this is when you realize you could have made it a bit different and could be better... so you made version 3 (final)
    This procedure is a classic and expected, so is not a big problem :)

The real problem is what to do with the "standard" cirtuit of the reset switch... i guess there are many alternatives but all involves cutting a trace on the board or more
    This part is open to brainstormings, maybe someone very experienced in electronics has a good idea of how to do it "easy" and "cheap"

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  13. 91
    BwE

BwE Developer

lol, you're just making it sound easier to install this into the console directly.

when I get home I will check out the reset button, but i still think the share or options button would make a fine switch. I would be able to wire it quite easily (to what I remember)

14. 1,588
    pink1

pink1 Moderator Developer

Back in my 360 days we used the sync button to turn on and off the controller mods. I can’t remember exactly how it worked but I know that the sync button would still work.
    Anyway what I was thinking is maybe you could have something like a pic12f to control turning the ESP8826 on and off with an existing button without losing the use of the button.

Idk it’s 1am and I’m rambling on.

15. 91
    BwE

BwE Developer

*Googles what pic12f is...*

Again, more effort! Why does everybody want to complicate things!

I really like the ESP8826 in a PS4 idea as I can fit the SD card module on it then and just use that to store all the payloads etc.

But then again maybe I can fit the SD card into the CONTROLLER!

I just had a garlic kebab so I too am rambling on. Kebab highs, you guys know.

pink1 likes this.
  16. 1,588
    pink1

pink1 Moderator Developer

I agree in the PS4 sounds awesome.
    When I saw your post about the share button it just made me think on the pic. I have so many of them around I may be subconsciously trying to find something to use them for.