What PS3 console should I buy ?

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by arcadesfan, Nov 12, 2019.

1. 12
    arcadesfan

arcadesfan Forum Noob

Hello,

I´m thinking of buying a PS3 console, but in my country they are not so cheap, they range from US$ 180 to US$ 250, depending on the condition.

Some sellers offer an used PS3 slim for an average US$ 180 to US$ 200, and others offer a modded PS3 slim that they say is "new", but they sell it just packaged and without the original box. So I´m afraid it may be refurbished. The packaged PS3 slim costs US$ 250.

On the other hand, one seller offers a a new Super slim PS3 with original box for US$ 250 ( this is the latest and smallest model ). The PS3 consoles offered come with hard drives that range between 250 Gb and 500 Gb.

As I don´t know what to do, can you please bring me some advise about what is better for me to buy ?
    I will be very grateful to have your opinion.

2. 7,243
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Is there any chance of importing one? They can go for as low as 20euro here with no controllers or maybe with dead laser.. Those prices are ridiculous.

3. 12
    arcadesfan

arcadesfan Forum Noob

Thanks for reply. Yes I know the prices are too high, but I don´t want to risk importing one as I cannot try it to see its condition.
    And I also need that the console is in good working condition, and comes with the controllers and original cables. The consoles offered here come also with lots of games installed.
    On the other hand, as I live in South America, I would have to pay extra fees for the shipping and the cost of freight would be high, the console weights too much.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  4. 19
    TheSureShot

TheSureShot Forum Noob

IT Techy
    It all depends on what you want out of your system, so if you want to play PS2 games on official supported hardware, in 1080p,
    I'd go for a fat model, 60gb or the launch 20gb models they offer the best in this case, if not and you just want cfw with some ps2 coverage through said cfw go for a 2001A, it's a 120GB Slim the first model, yet as you stated it probably has been swapped for a bigger HDD thus ramping up the price a clever way to get more money out of the buyer, that costs next to nothing these days

5. 242
    jacobsson

jacobsson Member

If you find a seller with good reputation (star rating) and he/she uses the eBays "Global Shipping Program" you should have all costs covered regarding taxes and fees, I've tested this myself. Then you might not need to pay over price for a PS3 slim.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  6. 12
    arcadesfan

arcadesfan Forum Noob

The problem is that I live in South America and most sellers at eBay only ship to USA or Europe. I can ask the seller to send it to USA as I have a P.O. Box there, but then I have to pay a lot of money for the freight here in my country, and may have hassle with Customs also. If it was a cell phone or something lighter than a console, I would consider that possibility.

DeViL303 likes this.
  7. 12
    arcadesfan

arcadesfan Forum Noob

I already have a PS2 console, so I only want to play some PS3 games. I would need at least a console with 250 Gb Hard Disk. Here there are only SLIM or SUPER SLIM models available.
    My concern is that if I buy a used console, I don´t know how much time will the Hard drive last, and in case it dies, if there are spare Hard drives that suit the PS3 console requirements. On the other hand, I prefer to have the games installed on the Hard Drive and not play using DVDs, as this can wear the lens a lot. If I buy a new SUPER SLIM PS3, would I have more problems than buying a SLIM one ? Because the SUPER SLIM is the only one offered new and coming with box, the others offered as "new" come really with some use, or refurbished.

8. 19
    TheSureShot

TheSureShot Forum Noob

IT Techy
    The good actual thing is with proper good refurbished units is they tend to come out like factory new, all clean fresh better thermal paste, I've just recently used Artic sliver 5 on my 60GB PS2 BC, it extends their life if they've been properly done, if these refurbished consoles have been fitted using newish HDD'S couple years old at most, can always ask the seller how good the HDD is , you can also look up the manafacturer date too ,they're relatively cheap now say for 500GB 1TB is all the norm , probably fit around 40 or so games, maybe a few more, I'd go for a slim Base model with a 360GB hdd at least preferably 500GB, super slims are good and most reliable , will cost more depends , slims carry age but are good all round consoles if taken cared for and or even refurbished properly as I said.

Would make sense super slims costing more being newer.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019