PS3 Where do PKG files go after installed if they dont show up on XMB?

Discussion in 'PS3 Homebrew' started by SeanRanklin, Mar 21, 2020.

1. 135
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

I have installed SONIC CD pkg file and no errors reported, however there is no icon anywhere on my XMB. I figured the pkg may have not installed so I tried to reinstall however it says the file is already on my console?

Can someone tell me where to look for this item through multiman desktop? I tried most of the obvious places in the dev_hdd game folders but i cant see this thing anywhere!

2. 347
    Luisile

Luisile Member

Not thru multimam. but in package manager and option playstation content and there it is just click on it and install.
    then you can delete it to save space

DeViL303 likes this.
  3. 975
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    You can look at a PKGs directory structure by using a PC app like PKGview.
    It will show you the folder structure and where each file will be installed to.

As for Sonic CD.... what game is this? Is this the Sega CD game?

4. 3,350
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

It depends on how the PKG was downloaded/installed.

If the PKG was created or downloaded in background as a bubble, then the file stored in /dev_hdd0/vsh/game_pkg
    Once the package is installed, the bubble files are deleted automatically from the system. If you don't have a backup of the package, you need to re-download the file if you want to install it again.

If you downloaded and placed the file manually in /dev_hdd0/packages via FTP or with a File Manager, then the PKG file remains in the original localtion and it must be deleted manually.

IIRC multiMAN downloads the PKG to a subfolder (I don't remember the name) in /dev_hdd0/game/BLES80608/USRDIR, then it redirect the folder in memory so it can be installed from XMB.

If the system is turned off during the installation of a PKG, the extracted files remain wasting disk space in /dev_hdd0/game/_INST_<timestamp>

Sometimes the PKG are installed first as DLC or game patches with a version higher than the original game. In these cases the game files could already exist, but not shown on XMB because the game was not installed in the correct order. To solve this, go to /dev_hdd0/game and delete the folder corresponding to the TITLE ID of your game. Then reinstall the game in the correct order.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    DeViL303 likes this.
  5. 8,441
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Yeah, Some pkgs kind of require a double install, they turn into a bubble after the first "install". Normally on OFW these bubbles would appear on the main XMB game list, but if you have a CFW with Package manager, then after the initial "install" these bubbles will appear in Package Manager > Playstation Network Content. You can finish installing them there.

Fin9ersMcGee likes this.
  6. 135
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Sorry I dont know why i wrote multiman... i used package manager. There is nothing in the plastation content area (red icon)

Yeah, its the PSN rerelease that i'm trying to get working.

Again, nothing. Cannot find where the damn thing went!

7. 135
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

All I did was install the PKG file in package manager but it went nowhere! No bubble or traces anywhere. When i searched my game folder in dev hdd, i went through each game to check the actual game name and not a single one was related to Sonic CD.

I was just looking to try and clear up some space as i have a 60gb hdd and well... every bit of space helps, lol

aldostools likes this.