Where to Find and How to Do. (Launching Retro Roms from XMB)

Discussion in 'RetroXMB' started by crashpsycho, Jan 4, 2017.

1. 9,436
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Can you go on your PS3 and see if the SNES9x core is in this exact location with the exact name.
    /dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/RetroXMB/1.0.0.2/snes9x_next_libretro_ps3.SELF

Also be very careful with these tyype of rom names. (everything is case and space senative) so just be sure those are correct
    libretro_rom_path = "/dev_hdd0/game/RXSNE0005/USRDIR/cores/roms/Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc"

but the problem seems to be the wrong ROM defined in the ROM Path. This was from waffe and its trying to boot Super metroid. (which the ROM may not be in that location defeind to even boot Super metroid)

OR the core is not in the right location and its unable to find it. Usually both occurrences will lead to a black screen.

2. 85
    SedRick

SedRick Member

3. 9,436
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

That is an outdated firmware to be honest. I would consider updating to something more recent, but that choice is yours. I know Rogero was problematic with the first RetroXMB released from doobz (which i helped him alot on various aspects (testing and how retroarch works)

Forget the tools for a minute i am teaching you what to do manually. That way you can see the issue.

Right now your trying to boot up Super Metroid and your pkg is a Waffe, so that means if working it would not even boot Waffe.but not sure if i cant find the rom or the core yet as i see potential errors in both.

I can't help or advise until those two things in previous post (edit now below) are answered. Because that is where the problem is.

Is this on your PS3 in this location?
    /dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/RetroXMB/1.0.0.2/snes9x_next_libretro_ps3.SELF
    (if not huge issue that would cause a black screen)

Is this game in this location on your PS3? (with exact file name)
    "/dev_hdd0/game/RXSNE0005/USRDIR/cores/roms/Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc"

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  4. 7,688
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    Here is link to three pkg files. http://www.mediafire.com/file/as3ldh73c2oa7l9/testtttt.zip

Test.pkg - is homebrew game build using your assets in retroXMB 1.7.1
    waf.pkg - is pkg with all assets from waffa build, "manually" created (you need to manually place rom in to /dev_hdd0/game/RXSNE0050/USRDIR/cores/roms/Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc)
    reb.pkg - Like above, but place rom in /dev_hdd0/game/RXSNE0005/USRDIR/cores/roms/Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc

Actually is very bad idea to have roms with names that contain (), !, [], or spaces. This can be problem here, but if you saying that in "original" pkg name is the same, then should be ok. Test if any of above is working for you.

5. 85
    SedRick

SedRick Member

The snes9x_next_libretro_ps3.self is exaclty where you said it was. There is also a copy of each emulator.SELF in the '/dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/' location.

I'm aware that cases and things like exclamation marks can cause issues but that doesn't seem to be an issue for Waffa's build.

6. 85
    SedRick

SedRick Member

Both of the pathways are correct, but the one you mention is the PKG that wafffa built and it works. il upload the files of both waffa's and mine from the mmos if that helps?

7. 85
    SedRick

SedRick Member

reb = boot to black screen
    test = Works
    waf = Works

8. 7,688
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    Ok, by that I want eliminate some problems that can affect your setup. If this is ok I will mess little bit with your files and upload some next packages to test later. :) Step by step we will find whats wrong.

Edit: For now I noticed 2 things that differ in both builds. One is that param.sfo is using different attributes than in waffa one. And also name (title) is messed in your. Second thing that menu photo have different bit depth for your, and waffa build. Imo first thing is important here. I will build pkgs later.

9. 85
    SedRick

SedRick Member

10. 85
    SedRick

SedRick Member

ok hold up i know what the issue is.
    its because i replaced the skins in retroxmb creator with the pictures i wanted as the background. fml
    Sorry i've wasted everyone's time.

But still, how can i create a package with a custom main_menu 1080p.png??

replacing my png with the one inside the installed rom gets black screen.

so there must be a way to add skins to retroxmb creator?

sorry im so retarded

kozarovv likes this.
  11. 7,688
    kozarovv

kozarovv Developer

Home Page:
    Using aldostools PS3 tools.

Or add it to skins in retroXMB folder, and then select manually.

12. 9,436
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Here is what the tool does, simply writes to RetroArch CFG file. So its simple to do yourself as well.
    So the red is your menu path, (so its reading whatever is there, or you can edit any path you want here in the CFG file (txt file) and repkg).

kozarovv likes this.
  13. 85
    SedRick

SedRick Member

upload_2017-4-30_21-53-36.png

Still wont boot.
    I've put my custom skins in the skins folder, i've selected it from the skins column but it doesn't boot. i unpacked the pkg and the path in the cfg is:
    menu_texture_path = "/dev_hdd0/game/RXSNE0001/USRDIR/cores/borders/Menu/main-menu_1080p.png"
    and obviously the creator renamed my custom image to main-menu_1080p.png within the pkg.
    so im still baffled.

14. 85
    SedRick

SedRick Member

Tried adding the skins, also tried replacing the skins and using the same names

15. 85
    SedRick

SedRick Member

16. 9,436
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

When you say still wont boot what do you mean?

The package/rom itself or your custom BG.

because lets forget anything to do with a custom BG you can boot the rom itself.

If you mean the custom BG, there is odd things, be sure its the same ratio as the original i believe its 1920x1080 and at times some images would not work at all. . Try with a working bg (such as one of the included ones) if that works then open that image in a program like gimp and paste your image over it. Sounds dumb but seems to work on problem images. (at least t did in past versions).

17. 85
    SedRick

SedRick Member

The Rom itself wont boot if i build the pkg with my background. All of my custom pics are 1920x1080p.
    i've tried renaming my skin to the same as one already in retroxmb creator and that also doesn't work

18. 9,436
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Upload your background and ill take a look at it.

So your having problems with just some roms booting and others are okay or you having issues all together??

We are skipping issues a bit and coming back to it weeks later at a time so a bit tough to follow. Upload a file of what you want built excluding the rom , i will build them and write some mini guides you can use as a tut.

19. 85
    SedRick

SedRick Member

20. 7,874
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Sounds like your custom pictures are not compatible. Note that the resolution is not the only spec necessary to achieve compliance.
    Like STLcardsWS suggested, you should try using an original background pic as template to create your own...

SedRick and STLcardsWS like this.