Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

Which homebrew do you suggest as a minimal File Manager?

Discussion in 'PS3HEN (nonCFW PS3 Models)' started by AndyC3, May 10, 2019.

1. 40
    AndyC3

AndyC3 Forum Noob

Hello!

I believe that at the moment the only thing I really need from HEN is the ability to transfer files between USB and HDD (I might also need to install a RAP file at some point, but that's another story), and for that I need a File Manager.

Looking at the HEN compatibility chart, there are many options for this purpose, and all of them offer a lot more than just a File Manager...

The thing is, I am clumsy and new to PS3 stuff, and I have kids at home which might be too curious, so I am actually looking for a File Manager that is as minimal as possible. Anything beyond basic FTP functionality is an unnecessary risk for us (although if any of those homebrew is also capable of installing RAP files then it will be a bonus - even though I am not sure I really need it).

I am not sure, but from what I've read on HEN threads, it seems to be that if I choose a plugin rather than a regular homebrew, then those plugins need to be enabled or won't show up in the XMB, and this is done by booting up the PS3 with the "boot_plugins.txt" file on USB drive. If this is correct, then for my purposes it would be a great security feature (my kids could not use the File Manager if I don't give them the USB drive), hence in this case I would strongly favor a plugin.

So which homebrew or plugin would you suggest for my case? Thanks a lot! :)

2. 31
    NotOnlyEyes

NotOnlyEyes Forum Noob

Algol and AndyC3 like this.
  3. 5,394
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Castlevania Junkie Moderator

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    @aldostools used to have just a file manager variant of IRISMAN which I loved but can't seem to find a link for it. Maybe he could help.

4. 3,101
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

You just need to repack the latest build of IRISMAN with the a different title id (e.g. IRISMAN01) and set FileManager=1 in settings.ini
    Also change the ICON0.PNG and the title to File Manager in PARAM.SFO

BTW I updated IRISMAN to mount PSXISO with cobra opcode like webMAN does for PS3HEN users.
    I will upload the file when I get back home, I forgot to update the repo in github this morning.

Algol and atreyu187 like this.
  5. 5,394
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    Well there you go from the man himself. A way to get just a nice fully functional file manager. I would do it for you but alas I don't have access to a Windows PC and can't find tools for OSX to do this but it isn't hard with ps3tools

Algol likes this.
  6. 610
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

Multiman is pretty simple to use.

Algol likes this.
  7. 5,394
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:

Yes but the NTFS support can be a pain but if you want you can lock the app to boot into mMOS for just file manager use as well.

8. 7
    Hyrus

Hyrus Forum Noob

Hello aldostools, I was wondering if this feature of mounting PSXISO games is already integrated in IRISMAN v4.84.4 (HEN Edition)?
    I've been trying to run some backups of my own games that are in the .cue/.bin format. But none of them has been able to run.

IRISMAN recognizes the games properly (they show up on the game list) but whenever I try to run any of them I get a black screen, the console shuts down and also the led indicator turns off (I read a post about other member having this same issue when loading a ps2iso). Any ideas of what I may be doing wrong? Can you please point me in the right direction? Thanks for your help.

I have a Super Slim PS3 running HFW 4.84.2, HEN 2.02 and IRISMAN v4.84.4 (HEN Edition)

9. 40
    AndyC3

AndyC3 Forum Noob

Still undecided between MultiMAN, ManaGunz and IrisMAN...

Which ones of these, in addition to having a FileManager, allow to create a backup from a game disc and then starting the game from the HDD, without having to insert the disc anymore?

10. 5,394
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:

All of them do this and have been updated by @Joonie fixing NTFS support.

11. 629
    Fin9ersMcGee

Fin9ersMcGee Moderator

Musician
    Ideally you want to use irisMAN for ripping from disc, it uses 'makeps3iso' to create ISOs which has higher compatibility.
    I also like the simplicity of irisMANs File Manager, will try repacking a standalone one at some point.

12. 1,084
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

or use ftp even on wlan,you can use it even from the phone.

13. 40
    AndyC3

AndyC3 Forum Noob

I think I am going with IrisMAN after all :) I checked some demo videos around and indeed IrisMAN is nicely simple to use as a File Manager.

I don't know if I will use anything else than the File Manager, maybe I will rip a couple of my own BluRay discs to run the games from ISO. I don't really need to do this, but it could help speeding up loading some games that are particularly slow due to frequent loading, and it would prolong the BluRay player's life. To my understanding IrisMAN is much easier than MultiMAN for this purpose, so it'd be good to have it there already.

Also, I've read many issues with MultiMAN in HEN 2.2.1, and none with IrisMAN, so let's go with the latter :)

Thanks to all for your suggestions!

Algol likes this.
  14. 1,084
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

killer feature in IRISMAN for me is the options for PSX games,especially widescreen and 480p hacks.also it doesn't touch the backups,just makes config file which can be deleted and you can start fresh.just awesome.also,it's version of makeps3iso is the most reliable in my experience,never failed no matter what i do.

AndyC3 likes this.
  15. 5,394
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    I use IRISMAN for PSX and file manager for NTFS drives. I use multiMAN mainly as it does PS2 Classics and ripping PS3ISO quiet well but that file manager is much easier to use to me but I I had to choose just one it would be IRISMAN as it can do what multiMAN can do but something just not quiet as easy. Then then again I have been using since it was multiAVCHD and not multiMAN.

16. 2,001
    Berion

Berion Developer

I'm using build-in file manager in MultiMAN since first releases. It has some flaws (like i.e doesn't inform user if there is no sufficient free space when user want copy something, resulting errors in file system; also I hate this GUI ;p). But I was well tested it in many extreme scenarios and never failed me. So I strongly recommending it.

I strongly not recommending Comgenies File Manager as it is ancient and have many critical bugs. I mentioned it because this is only a file manager (which I would also want instead to omni tool ;)) and is still recommending by some peoples in the internet. Avoid it.

I never tested any other FMs in Backup Managers. Maybe they are also good or even better.

Just my three cents. ;p

17. 26
    Mac3d0n14w4rr10r

Mac3d0n14w4rr10r Member

Same issue here, PS3 SS 4004c HFW 4.84.2 HEN 2.2.1-2.2.2. I cant realise why I dont have any problems with Irisman when I was on HEN 2.1.1. On v2.1.1 Irisman loads PSXISO without problems.

Algol likes this.
  18. 3,101
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

Try IRISMAN 4.84.5... it mounts PSXISO using cobra API (aka PS3HEN API).
    IRISMAN 4.84.4 calls directly the ps1_emu, which causes the blackscreen on PS3HEN.

Algol likes this.
  19. 5,394
    atreyu187

MCU/Sony Enthusiast!
    Home Page:
    There is a build of Managunz just the file manager floating about in HENstore that works great for NTFS but I use multiMAN and have since day one.