Which internal 1.5 TB HDD and USB 2 TB HDD models should I buy?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Windows10User, May 8, 2019.

1. 147
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Thanks. If I keep using mmCM and it recognizes the NTFS external HDD and I only have ISO games can I have any problems?

2. 4,266
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The difference in the filesystems is that FAT32 is nativelly supported by the PS3 official firmware, is very stable and can be used (as a dependency) by many different softwares

The NTFS support is not official, if you use software with feaures related with NTFS then you are adding a dependency
    The way how is made in iris and managunz hides that dependency because you have full NTFS support when you enter in the app (and you lose NTFS spport when you exit the app)
    But in multiman and webman the NTFS support is not integrated in them... so the dependency is more obvious, and this could create some annoyances and incompatibilities eventually

----------
    The max capacity of the internal hdd seems to be the resulting of a long list of details that needs to be considered
    I remember there was a technical talk about this value in the forum and someone posted the exact sector number, in my oppinion that was a good start point but probably was not accurate

The problem you are going to have if you exceed that limit is the official "restore filesystem" and "rebuild database" functions of the recovery menu of the official firmware are going to stop working normally
    They will throw ugly errors at your face and eventually will force you to format the hdd... so you lose all his contents, and that sucks

What you need to keep in mind is that 2 functions from the recovery menu are the only way we have to do some mainteinance of the internal hdd filesystems... we need to use them eventually because are good and keeps the filesystems healthy
    Otherway if you bypass them (either manually or because are broken as consequence of you using a huge internal hdd) then are going to push you into problems

The good thing of buying an internal hdd of 1.5TB is you can use the SMART attributes of the hdd BIOS to reduce the capacity of it
    This way you can create a "custom" capacity that is much closer to that theoretical max supported by the PS3

if i remember right it was something around 1,3TB ?... or maybe i forgot... anyway, im not sure if is worthy, everything depends of how many GB you are going to lose when you "crop" the capacity of it with SMART

-------------------
    And btw, for the internal hdd if you want to follow the sony preferences, you should use an hdd with 4.500rpm, low noise, low power, low heat, and a single plate... all this is intended for efficience
    Hdd's for laptops uses to follow this rules (some toshiba series, the hitachi travelstars, etc...)

For external (2TB max) there toshiba canvios that are cheap (and have a low power toshiba hdd inside obviouslly, heheh)

Windows10User likes this.
  3. 147
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

I thought I should use a 5400 RPM internal HDD. Regardless of that, which 1.5 TB do you recommend? And if I use a 4 TB external HDD with 2 FAT32 partitions of 2 TB will I have any problems on multiMAN (I suppose it will recognize PKGs and ISOs on both partitions and PSN Patch will recognize RAPs on both ones)?

I've been splitting + 4 GB PKGs and PS3 ISOs on my 1 TB external FAT32 HDD since multiMAN doesn't recognize the PKG files on a NTFS drive and so I can't do multiple package install but if I use ManaGunZ I suppose I can do + 4 GB multiple PKG installs and load + 4 PS3 ISOs on a NTFS drive so I wouldn't need to split them or create partitions, right?

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 12:13 PM
  4. 4,266
    sandungas

I cant recommend a hdd model because hdd manufactures releases new models frequently, but look at the officials shipped from factory by the PS3's
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Harddrive#Harddrive_Model_info

Thats why i mentioned the toshibas and hitachis travelstar because i know sony liked them :D
    But most probably there are models of that same series with bigger capacity (something that probably was achieved by adding more plates inside)
    You know... more plates = more power requirements, so take a look at how many plates haves the ones you want to buy

For external hdd you need to use MBR https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record
    This have a capacity limit (the sum of all his partitions) of 2TB
    So a 4TB hdd with 2 partitions of 2TB each is not going to work... because you cant format it with MBR
    I never tryed it though, but thats the theory, someone correct me if im wrong

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 2:51 AM
  5. 147
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

None of those are 1.5 TB and I'm afraid that I buy a new one which works well but after some time starts stuttering in games (it looks more likely to happen on cutscenes) like I've read on some Amazon reviews.

In that case, should I buy 2 external 2 TB HDDs, instead?

Regarding FAT32, I thought it supported up to 16 TB and not 2 TB. I don't know if I'll buy a 4 TB external HDD to afterwards create 2 MBR FAT32 partitions of 2 TB on it or if I'll buy 2 external 2 TB HDDs to afterwards format it to MBR FAT32. I don't know if the 2 TB/4 TB external HDDs already come formatted as MBR and which cluster I'd choose for the 4 TB external HDD and for the 2 external 2 TB HDDs to work on the PS3 before creating the partitions/formatting the drives.

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 10:44 PM
  6. 4,266
    sandungas

What i said is to take a look at the hdds used by sony, and try to see if there are more models of the same series
    Incase there are not newer/bigger models of that series take a look at toshiba and hitachi webs to find which one is the newest series they have for low power/high efficience

The 2TB restriction is because MBR (not because FAT32)
    You are creating the FAT32 partition into a hdd with MBR but the same would happen with NTFS or any other filesystem, the max partition size is always 2TB in a hdd with MBR

7. 147
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

So, I'll have to see the 14 series one by one (it says some Fujitsu series are missing) in order to know if some of them are available as 1.5 TB (and 2.5" 5400 RPM)? How can I do that? Even if I found ones they aren't used by the PS3 so the games may stutter anyway (I guess) and who guarantees that even the mentioned models on that link won't stutter on the future? Where can I see the Toshiba and Hitachi HDDs and why them?

So, If I create 2 MBR partitions of 2 TB on a 4 TB external HDD I should have no problems installing multiple PKGs and running games on multiMAN and installing RAP files on PSN Patch? I suppose multiMAN will recognize PKGs and games on both partitions and PSN Patch will recognize RAP files on both of them too, right? Or do you think in spite of this I should buy 2 external 2 TB HDDs instead? Also, which cluster should I choose (if I create 2 TB partitions on the 4 TB HDD or on the 2 external 2 TB HDDs)?

If I buy a 1.5 internal HDD how much will the PS3 recognize? 1.3 TB? And the greater the HDD's size is, the greater the PS3 reserved space will be? I've read the PS3 at some point prevents the HDD to be completely filled up. Is it true and if so when does it start (5%/10% remaining space?)?

Also, this user stated there are some models that will take 1.5 TB or even 2 TB (though it says it caps the size to 1.75 TB) but I have to downgrade to 4.75 and see if it recognizes the drive. He states he has tried this on about four models but only one actually worked. If it works I can upgrade back to 4.84 but it's all about luck if my system will take a drive this size. Do I have to downgrade my PS3 to 4.75 to see if it recognized the 1.5 TB HDD?

EDIT: Before swapping the internal HDD, if I FTP the xRegistry.sys file and the entire game and home folders from it to the PC, swap the internal HDD, install the previous CFW version installed (I think I'll be prompted to do it), FTP back the xRegistry.sys file and the game and home folders to it from the PC and rebuild the database on the PS3 will I have any problem like corrupt files and be prompted to install game data after running games? And what about the XMB's settings, the games' settings and the DLCs' and apps' (like Rebug Toolbox, multiMAN and PSN Patch)? I hope I can access the previously installed DLCs (as well as the PKG and the bout PSN games) and apps (I think their installers also create games on folders outside of the game one so I may have problems with them and may be forced to reinstall them) and they have the same settings they had.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 1:16 AM
  8. 75
    remlei

remlei Member

if you can find a 1tb drive that is not Advance Format (AF) or uses 512b sector, then good, go with that one

else

you can find easily a AF drives but be prepared for a stuttery experience if you plan to use one. I tried playing beyond two souls on a 1tb seagate mobile that is advance format (AF) and dang it was unplayable, the drive is fine I even get the drive to full surface scan using hd-sentinel and all is well, and the drive is usable if I use it on PS3 as external drive using a hdd enclousure.

unfortunately, for 512byte sector drives, you can only easily find one that is 500gb or lower, 512byte sector 1tb drives that is in laptop form factor is very rare, its almost guaranteed that you cant buy one brand new.

for external hdd, well just get a cheapest 2tb drive you can find, doesnt matter if its AF drive or not, and place it on a generic hdd enclosure (a orico enclosure is a good one). other usb hdd have their own stupid power saving features, so you might have issues working it with ps3.

or just buy a NAS and store all your ISOs there, works well for me with a single 12tb wd red on my 6bay synology nas (where 5 drives are in raid5 with only this single drive that I use to store roms for my emulators and ps2 games via samba on my ps2 slim) and utilize ps3netsrv.

edit: I tested many old drives that came from old laptops, most of them are toshibas 500gb, all of them work fine, same with WD blue 620gb works fine, same with samsung drives and hgst drives that is 320 and 160gb sizes. Its just that as soon as I use a 1tb AF drives it stutters so badly. I even tested my old 1tb desktop drive that is not Advance Format, using a sata externder and guess what that works fine no stutter at all. I tested many AF drives but well, all of them have the similar stuttering issue.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 1:16 AM
  9. 147
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

What do you mean with Advance Format and 512b sector and how can I know if they are?

When you say to get the cheapest 2 TB drive, are you including internal HDDs? If so, I don't know how to put the enclosure. But I want to have an external HDD connected to the PS3 and can games running from NAS lag?

EDIT: What's ODE which shows up on PS3 ISO TOOLS and should I always choose the 4.76 Firmware and the makeps3iso options on it when creating an ISO and if so, why? What's the C00 format? Do you think if I should download the PKG games (and their RAP) I bought from the PSN from sites like p.sndl.net or downloadgameps3.com and transfer them afterwards to the external HDD to be installed in the internal one instead of downloading and installing them from the PSN? Which is faster? These are PSN only games except one which I can't find its JB/ISO version for my region but I could also download its PKG version from the mentioned sites and I'd spare space on the internal HDD since it would go to the external one. Are PKG games' load times smaller than JB/ISO ones regardless if the latter are run by an internal HDD or an external one? What about the JB load times vs. ISO and the internal HDD's load times vs external ones?

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 10:26 AM
  10. 4,266
    sandungas

11. 75
    remlei

remlei Member

google my friend, they usually labeled on the drive with AF with it something like this https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c03509131

all modern drives have that logo, you cant really miss that out since its printed on the label.

yes get a cheapest 2tb drive you can get, drives that you buy like a laptop drive or a desktop drive, its up to you and then put it on enclosure.

for the NAS thing, you can do this if you already have a NAS on your network, in my case I do its actually much better just to plug the high capacity drive to my nas and map that to my ps3 via ps3netsrv and webman mod. works well for me.

so if you want to plug it to your PS3 directly go with external drive.

12. 147
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

In that case I'll buy 2 external 2 TB HDDs instead but according to what I've read some people got a 4 TB external HDD to work with 2 partitiins of 2 TB.

Also, this user stated there are some models that will take 1.5 TB or even 2 TB (though it says it caps the size to 1.75 TB) but I have to downgrade to 4.75 and see if it recognizes the drive. He states he has tried this on about four models but only one actually worked. If it works I can upgrade back to 4.84 but it's all about luck if my system will take a drive this size. Do I have to downgrade my PS3 to 4.75 to see if it recognized the 1.5 TB HDD?

Before swapping the internal HDD, if I FTP the xRegistry.sys file and the entire game and home folders from it to the PC, swap the internal HDD, install the previous CFW version installed (I think I'll be prompted to do it), FTP back the xRegistry.sys file and the game and home folders to it from the PC and rebuild the database on the PS3 will I have any problem like corrupt files and be prompted to install game data after running games? And what about the XMB's settings, the games' settings and the DLCs' and apps' (like Rebug Toolbox, multiMAN and PSN Patch)? I hope I can access the previously installed DLCs (as well as the PKG and the bout PSN games) and apps (I think their installers also create games on folders outside of the game one so I may have problems with them and may be forced to reinstall them) and they have the same settings they had.

I was thinking on 2 external 2 TB HDDs.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 11:06 AM
  13. 59
    snkplkn

snkplkn Forum Noob

Question to veterans.

I have this PC Internal Hard drive. Western Digital 500 GB SATA.

https://www.cnet.com/products/wd-blue-wd5000aakx-hard-drive-500-gb-sata-600-series/

And i have this SATA to USB Adapter which is powered by external power source (12v / 2A).

https://www.amazon.in/Terabyte-External-Drive-Casing-Black/dp/B06XNQWJ21

This Adapter works well on my PC USB. Can i use my internal SATA drive on my PS3 USB with this adapter?

Also what will be the Loading times / Performance of games when running from this external hard drive setup?