Which things to backup before swapping HDD

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Windows10User, Apr 16, 2019 at 4:17 AM.

1. 86
    Windows10User

Windows10User Forum Noob

Before changing the HDD, should I do a full backup through the XMB and restore it after changing it (before that I have to install the CFW version I had in the previous one, of course) or should I copy certain files and folders to the PC and afterwards to the new HDD, and if so, which ones? I was thinking on the PS3 game backups on the GAMES folder, its game saves, the RIF and EDAT files, the act.dat and maybe the xRegistry.sys file? Will the RIF files work or do I have to download the RAP files and convert them to RIF via PSN Patch again? And will I have to resign the game saves again? If I copy the game folders (and maybe other folders in the same directory like the Rebug Selector and the PSN Patch ones) to the PC and afterwards to the PS3 (to not lose the game settings and the DLC) and rebuild the database will it work and I will be able to load the games and their DLCs and settings (I did it once with a game folder and although it showed up in the XMB I didn't try launching it to know if it was working and below it a corrupted file showed up)? Will my chances of getting banned from the PSN increase if I copy the RIF, EDAT and the act.dat files back to the new HDD? If I copy the xRegistry.sys file to the new HDD will I have the same XMB settings I had and will I have the same apps and its settings I had if I copy their folders (the ones which were on the same directory as the game ones)?

Another thing, I've read somewhere that PS3 backups running from an external USB drive might install game data on the HDD (I suppose those in folder and ISO formats).

2. 44
    ecto

ecto PSX-Place Supporter

You can do the backup with the PS3 backup utility, but you would have to sync your trophies to the cloud and restore them after the restore. Just keep in mind, that this will take some time depending on your hdd size and amount of installed files.

I recently did a whole reinstall by hand. When you do that you should backup the following folders from the internal hdd:
    • home (all profiles / raps / PS3 savegames etc. are in here)
    • game
    • savedata (virtual memory cards)
    • the cfw folders (GAMES / ???ISO / etc)
    • and the xRegisty.sys (also for the profiles)
    When restoring the files, I'd recommend the following order:
    1. home
    2. xregistry.sys
    3. do a "restore database" after that and check if all profiles are back
    4. all the other folders
    5. do another "restore database" to get back your installed files.
    What I noticed is that some games don't like their installed files to be restored (GTA V and other Rockstar games for instance). You have to reinstall tham again (so no need to back tham up in the first place...)

I can't help you with PSN access and banning, because I just stay offline alltogether.

DeViL303 likes this.