who supplys this component

Discussion in 'Hardware Mods' started by ZAKARIA, Oct 10, 2019.

1. 7
    ZAKARIA

ZAKARIA Forum Noob

hi to all
    I have a ps3 slim it boots fine than it makes bleu screen of death and one usb is charging but not syncing the controller the other usb no power at all . i opened up the console i found out that this transistor suppose to have 4 input pins and they should have this voltages (i found this photo on ths forum)
    [​IMG]

for me 3 of them have about 3.3 volts but the first one on your right has 0 V input and it was causing 0 v output to one usb port

i tracked the line of this pin to find why it not receiving voltage but the tracks ended here[​IMG]

and on the back of the motherboard found all four input tracks but couldn't find the source
    [​IMG]
    please can anyone tell me where this ponts are connected to because there is no ps3 diagram on the net

DeViL303 likes this.
  2. 5,936
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I dont remember if this has been confirmed, but i bet the line you are talking about is connected to syscon
    And this is why the trace "gets lost" in a pad, all that voltage control signals related with syscon are traced using internal layers of the motherboard, are hidden along most of his path, and they "emerges" next to syscon (and next to the other component)

The line is an output of the transistor (in other words, is an input of syscon)... is used to send an error signal to syscon
    What you should do is to replace the dual transistor

The component is a dual transistor, i dont know the manufacturer but maybe is something gneric and there are several manufacturers that builds it
    You should talk abouot this with @blckbear_ btw, he is who made that image and he had to find a replacement for that chip

DeViL303 and Louis Garry like this.
  3. 179
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

Electrical engineering student
    When you say one port has power but does not sync, does the controller blink and when you press the PS button shuts down? If that's the case, it seems to be the same that happened to me, I still didn't get to replace the chip though :/

Edit: you said you got around 3.3V on all the "lower" pins except on the furthest right one? If that's correct let me check the IC datasheet later today because that seems really weird to me

Edit 2: here's a link I found on AliExpress, it's the RT9712AA IC.
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/mNixq2FO

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    sandungas likes this.
  4. 179
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

Related to my first edit on the previous post, the IC used in the PS3 is the active high variant (that what the first A at the end of the model number means) and this means that the 5V output is enabled when the EN pin (enable pin) receives voltage, in this case it should be receiving 3.3V as that's the Syscon's working voltage. The thing that's weird to me is the fact that both your FLG pins (the ones that tell Syscon if there's an over-current or over-temperature situation) are giving around 3V, and that means that they're signaling that everything's alright as they're active low pins, meaning that when they're pulled down they signal an error situation.

Edit: the situation being this weird leads me to believe that the IC is dead and failing, same as mine.

sandungas and Algol like this.
  5. 7
    ZAKARIA

ZAKARIA Forum Noob

hi thanks for helping
    so i replaced the transistor even i doubted that he is causing this and nothing this is exactly what i am having now
    [​IMG]

6. 179
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

Hmmm really weird, I would have guessed that replacing it would fix it. Could this be a Syscon issue?

7. 7
    ZAKARIA

ZAKARIA Forum Noob

[​IMG]
    now i did this it made both of the usb ports give power to the controller and remember when i told you that one usb port have no power and now it does after bridging the 5V from his neighbour and its synking the controller too so i made a restore to the ps3 thinking maybe it will remove that bsod but it didn't

8. 179
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

Bridging the 5V was what I did but in the end both died and now I can't sync my controllers, beware of that

9. 7
    ZAKARIA

ZAKARIA Forum Noob

replacing the syscon won't work either i guess

10. 179
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

Replacing Syscon isn't an option is say. I'll try to order the replacement this month or next month and see if I can fix it. In case I can't I'll just directly connect both USBs to 5V and that's it. Not a good solution but the only one I can think of after all of this

11. 5,936
    sandungas

Im going to copy the pinout wrote by @blckbear_ here:
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/r...g-superslim-solved-kind-of.22211/#post-173652
    And your image of your problem
    [​IMG]

So... it looks the dual transistor is not getting the EN2 signal (and as a consequence it doesnt enables the VOUT2)
    I dont know which component is supposed to send the EN2 signal... but most probably is a direct connection with syscon

12. 5,936
    sandungas

I guess the FLG pins sends the "ok" signal to syscon also if the chip is inactive
    In other words... if you dont send any EN signal to the chip it returns an "ok" because the chip is not doing anything :D

Edit:
    Hmmm, wait, what i said doesnt makes much sense because...
    If you dont send the EN signals... then the only voltage inside the chip is 5v, and the chip itself is not doing any voltage conversion, right ? (im wondering about this)... so the FLG output only could be 5v
    But this is not what is happening to ZAKARIA
    Dunno, i would check all that pins again, and i would try to see if are really connected to syscon

13. 5,936
    sandungas

You sure ?, in the first page of the datasheet appears a couple of images with a different pinout
    https://www.richtek.com/assets/product_file/RT9712/DS9712-04.pdf
    I havent read the whole datasheet so maybe im missing some section where they offers other variants with the pins in different locations
    Also, maybe the component in the PS3 ws manufactured exclusivelly for sony, doesnt appears in ritech web because is not available for public, and is actually a DS9712 but with a different pinout
    In that case... by buying the "retail" variant of it is not posible to solder it directly to the motherboard because the ins doesnt matches... but well, no big problem, you can flip it and solder it with wires or some weird thing, lol

Btw... it looks is made by ritech, they have a search engine in is web, i cant find other variants that could fit the PS3 but anyway... it seems to be classifyed in is product categories as a "dual power switch with flag"
    https://www.richtek.com/Products/Power Switch?sc_lang=en

Click in the tab that tells "parametric search" and appears a "search wizard" where you can filter components by characteristiques

14. 179
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

The flag pin takes voltage from the input pin through a resistor and inside the chip there seems to be another resistor, thus working as a voltage divider, so I guess it's ok to have 5V dropped to around 3V.

And about the AliExpress part, it is the identical part that is inside my PS3, my PS3 has a RT9712AA so my guess is that the one online is the same. In case it isn't I guess I'll rewire it

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    sandungas likes this.
  15. 7
    ZAKARIA

ZAKARIA Forum Noob

I have the part i can desolder it for you from a dead motherboard i have a lot of them but in tunisia it s difficult to send it to you and it will take a lot .... so i checked if there is a connection between the syscon and all the 3 v pins and there is none

16. 179
    blckbear_

blckbear_ Member

Don't worry about sending me the part, it's difficult for both of us hahahaha, here where I live I have a limited amount of packages I can receive before I get charged pretty high import fees (and I've already reached that limit),thanks anyways!

And about the Syscon connection, this seems to be more complex that it seemed.
    @sandungas do you know if theres any equivalent of a PC chipset on the PS3? Some IC that controls SATA, USB and thta stuff, maybe it's connected to that controller instead of Syscon

17. 5,936
    sandungas

In the PS3 all access to peripherals is made through the southbridge
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/South_Bridge

The first PS3 models had 1 (or more) additional "USB HUBS" to multiply the number of USB connections, but since PS3 slim there are no USB hubs in the motherboard, the USB ports in the front panel are connected directly to southbridge

---------------
    Hmmm, and yes what you are saying makes sense, maybe some lines of the dual transistor are connected to southbridge
    But i still think is syscon, because it controls all voltage regulators of the motherboard (in this case the EN pins of the dual transistor), and i guess it also monitors the FLG pins of the dual transistor