Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

PS3 HAN Why can't we change the fan speed on HAN?

Discussion in 'PS3Xploit HAN (nonCFW Compatable Models)' started by fkd, Jul 2, 2019.

1. 102
    fkd

fkd Member

Hi. Why can't the fan speed be changed on HAN? Is the reason in syscalls? Or it's another reason?

Thanks for any clarification!

2. 2,218
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Because you cannot run homebrew, ie custom code on HAN. HAN is well out dated now and obselite.

User's should use PS3HEN v2.3.1 instead of HAN now which allows you to run homebrew on non-CFW PS3's. So with HEN you could install and run apps that can control the fan speed of your PS3> webMAN MOD , webMAN can do this.

esc0rtd3w likes this.
  3. 102
    fkd

fkd Member

But isn't the way to change the fan speed a syscall? I read the exploit allows to be root, so I wonder why the syscall can't be executed. In the case, it has a root tag (but I don't develop for PS3, so I don't know how a syscall execution is made). For example, you can get the temperature (but that one has the PM tag and not root). But the temperature can be gotten, for example. Then I'd like to know why the speed can't be changed if it's a syscall too, but it's root (sorry if this is a dumb question).

I just don't switch to HEN until it's more stable. Too many people talking about freezes. Only now I installed HAN on the PS3, a year after the release, when it's stable (actually it has always been, but not the tools, and HEN is not very stable yet).

4. 516
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

Any changes to syscall must be overridden by homebrew program which only can run either CFW console or non-jb console with HEN exploit. You cannot perform any changes on unmodified console.

5. 102
    fkd

fkd Member

Why is it needed a syscall change? Isn't it an original syscall and not a custom one? (sorry, just trying to understand, since I think to get the temperature on HAN, they had to use the syscall)

6. 2,218
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    The fan is controlled by the SYSCON not a app so it is automatic. Displaying the temps and then changing the default way of controlling the are 2 different things.

You can veiw the temp as the syscal is there. but to change it from SYSCON to manaul or a diferent algorhythem to the SYSCONs requires a Custom SYSCAL to intercept and change the params.

Custom syscals cannot be executed on HAN as it is unsigned code (Custom code) so there for HEN or CFW is required to do this.

So its the same thing we have been saying from the start. It cannot be done on HAN.

esc0rtd3w, jcorrea and fkd like this.
  7. 102
    fkd

fkd Member

The second paragraph is the one I didn't know. That's the thing I wanted to know. Right then. I thought it was an oficial syscall, because there's one on psdevwiki that has to do with fan speed and I thought it was that one (389: sys_sm_set_fan_policy). Didn't know it was needed to do other things to change the speed. Interesting. Thanks!

8. 7,474
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    You should be able to change fan speed from HAN if there is really root priv on HAN (i don't know that). But this will be like manual setting in webman, no fancy auto control as this require calling that syscall many times, and homebrew to control that behavior.

fkd likes this.
  9. 102
    fkd

fkd Member

"By hijacking webkit, we inherit its privileges which means -->we are root & we get access to lv2 syscalls<--. However the ps3 OS is protected by NX (No eXecute is the bsd/linux equivalent of DEP on Windows), no address randomisation though. Executing our own payload is made impossible by NX but we can still execute code despite NX using ROP (Return Oriented Programming)."

No problem. I just want it higher. Would it be possible by what's said on that?

10. 7,474
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Yeah should be possible. Webkit can write to real flash memory, so calling sys_sm_set_fan_policy should be possible too.
    Anyway, like i said this will be possible only from web browser so only one time manual set, no automatic control. Also why even care now when hen is a thing?

Btw. I think this should be possible, i'm not sure. I just don't see any reason why this shouldn't work.

esc0rtd3w and fkd like this.
  11. 102
    fkd

fkd Member

Since HEN is still with freezing issues on many people, I prefer to stick with HAN and all the tools which are on their best, since they're probably not gonna get more updates (no idea, just my thoughts) and HEN's are still being updated. A year from now I'll install HEN when it's more stable and people are not beta testers haha. And there are still many people on HAN that don't know about HEN and/or don't want to change to HEN yet. A person on Discord with who I talk, is on HAN on 4.82 on purpose. I'm too on 4.82, but that's to test a proxy app before lauching new versions (and to be honest, someone might find an exploit on 4.82 and, well, I'll still be on it).

Cool!!! (assuming it can be done, we have to be positive haha) Is there any thing I can see/read to understand how to call that syscall?

esc0rtd3w likes this.
  12. 7,474
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Since you need to call it from rop i suggest to look at https://github.com/PS3Xploit/pett and here https://www.psx-place.com/threads/w...tion-editing-debugging-ps3-development.15826/

I also mention here @esc0rtd3w as he should know that is possible at all, maybe there is no need to waste time for learning that, if it is not doable.

esc0rtd3w and fkd like this.
  13. 1,160
    esc0rtd3w

esc0rtd3w Developer

Hacker
    Home Page:
    HEN works fine for tens of thousands of people, including all of us, internally! Just because a bunch of people who have no understanding of it have black screens after mods and a bunch of other crap installed doesnt mean it doesn't work. There are very few instances where it has an issue.

Using HAN is pointless, but do whatever you want lol

If you are interested in the exploit side, do as @kozarovv said is a good start

btw, you cannot control the fan from webkit, using syscalls. PETT was tested with those quite a while ago and had the js setup to do so, but from my testing, it does not work trying to set a value, but you can read the value, if I remember correctly. There may be a way that is just undiscovered.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    jcorrea, fkd, bergot and 2 others like this.
  14. 102
    fkd

fkd Member

I'm kinda curious, so I don't know what I'd do with HEN. As I wouldn't put the PS3 online in any way (already have the Slim with CFW for that), I'd possibly try things on it I haven't tried on the CFW one, like change all the PS3. And as it wouldn't be online, no problems with 5ºny detecting these things and banning the PS3 with an original IDPS. And I could brick it, and I don't really want. I prefer to wait until HEN is more like CFW, or if that never happens, at least more stuff and pages about HEN will exist and people will know more about it and what can and can't be done on it. Preventing the PS3 from dying haha (because I can't afford to pay for a fix nor to buy an E3 Flasher).

At least on a Discord server I'm on, people talk about freezes. That's why I said that. Cool to know it's more stable than I thought then!

Well, I'm not a big programmer (actually, I'm a begginer only, for 2 years or so, but never learnt the things I need to understand these things), but from somewhere I need to start right? haha. So I thought this would be a cool place to do so. With something with which no one develops more to.

"had the js setup to do so" - does it still have? or really doesn't anymore? (asking because it would be cool to have a head start from the supposed way even if it doesn't work - good place to start trying to know what is what in the JS script)