PS3 Will a stand fan help cooling?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by oneohthree, Jul 2, 2018.

1. 152
    oneohthree

oneohthree Member

I live in a really hot and humid country (tropical), it gets up to 30-34C in the Summer. We have no Winter at all. The lowest temperature I've seen is 15C. There is a common conception in my country that you should put a stand fan in front of your PS3 to help heat spreading. There are other recommendations like placing bottle caps bellow the console 'to help' the cooling process. I don't really believe any of these. What do you guys think/recommend?

I follow common recommendations like placing the PS3 in a well ventilated place, keep it dust free, have regular breaks, change thermal paste if needed, etc.

Also where I live it's REALLY hard to get quality thermal compound, and tools to remove IHS and repaste inside. I'm worried because my console (21xx) is getting high temperatures without fan control homebrews. I had to enable sMAN fan control and put a constant fan speed of 40% to have my CPU/GPU around 63-66C.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  2. 68
    JoaoMattos

JoaoMattos Member

I live in a tropical country too and the way I use to try don't hot my console is put a ventilator next to It.

Enviado de meu LG-K220 usando o Tapatalk

3. 216
    Neal Cullum

Neal Cullum Member

Security/I.T Geek
    Try standing the PS3 on its side too so underneath has more exposure

4. 7,508
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

If you make a comparison of how are placed the internal parts of a PS3 FAT ...vs... PS3 SLIM you will realize the motherboard is "flipped" in FATs

In FATs... from bottom to top... the first thing (most at bottom) is the fan... then the motherboard (at middle) and on top are the Bluray drive, and the PSU (the PSU is another hotspot)
    For this reason, if you place one of that "fan stands" (used to cool PC laptops), or the other idea of using "bottle caps" at bottom... is not going to cause any improvement in FATs

In PS3 SLIM is different, because the motherboard is most at bottom
    So both things works in SLIM, and actually helps to decrease temperature, because the hotspot of a SLIM is at bottom

Actually i have that "bottle caps" on my SLIM, but well done, lol... i got 4 rubber pads from a router and placed at the corners of my SLIM, it creates a gap under the PS3 to allow the air to pass under it
    If you dont do that... and use the PS3 over a wood table for some hours... then you shutdown and touch the table under the PS3 you will notice the wood is hot because the PS3 was passing heat to the table

With the "bottle caps" this doesnt happes obviouslly... the heat is pased to the air under the PS3... and the hot air moves naturally to top (is replaced by cooler air from the room), so that "gap" under the PS3 creates an airflow and the hot air goes away naturally

oneohthree likes this.
  5. 7,508
    sandungas

Search in ebay for "adhesive rubber feet"... like the ones of this photo are ok
    [​IMG]

The requirements you should try fulfill are:
    -the rubber needs to be soft (because you dont want the PS3 to slide and fall to the floor when pulling from USB cables and things like that)
    -height should be 1cm or so (mines recycled from a router are only 5mm though, but seems to be good enought)
    -The rubber feets needs to have an adhesive layer (to stick them easilly)

Contras
    The bottom of PS3 slim gets hot, the adhesive "melts", and the rubber "moves" from his original position
    At least this is what happened with mines... i guess this depends of the adhesive material, but when choosing a model of rubber fets probably you are not going to be given info about the adhesive quality... so is like a lottery i guess

Alternativelly... there are rubber feets without adhesive and has a hole for a screw
    The PS3 has screws at bottom, so i guess is posible to keep them in place with the screws (if needed replacing the screws by longer ones)

6. 154
    unseen

unseen Member

I always take the upper half off my PS3 slim off when using it.

7. 216
    Neal Cullum

Neal Cullum Member

Security/I.T Geek
    Cool idea!

8. 152
    oneohthree

oneohthree Member

@sandungas Well, I don't have access to Ebay (look in my profile), anyway I was lucky enough. I found these rubber pads in perfect condition. We installed several switches at work, but we didn't use the pads because we have a rack. Anyway these days the temperature is really high and I decided to set the fan speed to 45% (constant) to keep the PS3 around 66C. The fan noise is bearable. Will the control fan help the console lifespan? I assume yes, I don't want to have a nightmare messing with IHS at all. I know this will happen eventually though.

Thanks for your tips.

9. 7,508
    sandungas

@oneohthree if you keep it under 70ºC max it will be fine, the thermal paste under IHS should not degrade excesivelly

I dont like the constant fan speeds though, because the values of the thermal sensors are ignored. The dynamic fan speeds is better

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    oneohthree likes this.
Tags: