Will the new Software update happen?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Scorpion355, Aug 13, 2018.

?

Will we get to see the new system software update for the PS3?

1. Possibly yes, PS3 may have one more software update.

18 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Nope, they no longer care about it, ever since it was discontinued.

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

FYI

The "act.dat creation" feature will be included in the coming HAN v4.0 final update.

I coded that feature about 3 months ago using a somewhat complicated conditional rop chain.
    It had to check whether or not an act.dat file already existed in the current user profile & if no file was found & the user requested the automatic creation of an act.dat file, generate an act.dat by calling a vsh sub that habib reversed, before copying the file to USB.

That code worked fine essentially but it will never be released, it has now been replaced by a much simpler implementation using javascript instead of rop to process the conditional branching. This new implementation was made possible by new js functions I wrote permitting to exit a rop chain, run some js function for validation & trigger a new rop chain depending on the js validation function's outcome.
    Because such a validation & conditional rop chain retriggering process can be repeated as many times as necessary, it's now possible to implement much more complicated algorithms without having to rely on hard to find gadgets & overly complicated rop chains. ;)

2. 1,511
    pink1

pink1 Moderator Developer

That’s really cool news. It’s going to make it a lot easier to do some cool stuff and not so scary to play with for other people that are interested in trying.

pinky likes this.
  3. 5,049
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

4. 1,337
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

Is it possible to maybe generate one...for instance... as how we have fake save data owner?
    I think the ultimate goal is to be able to do all this if something happens after psn shuts down

My thought was to basically emulate psn on a pc, use pc as proxy and set hosts file on pc to use its own ip for any sony calls.
    Essentially how we block the sony sites using proxy, but instead it reads said calls and then responds accordingly... man in the middle probably a better way of saying it i think? :)

5. 198
    Scorpion355

Scorpion355 Member

So the feature You're talking about, is it for the situations if the new update drops or the psn shuts down? Or there must be at least one account on the harddrive in order to be able to do this?

6. 1,066
    habib

habib Developer

yes it is possible. infact thats how it is as bguerville described. i just have to push a minor update on github to support it with my tool. how it works is that it creates entry in xreg using vsh functions(thanks to sony we didnt have to go complicated way instead we used their own function to update entry in xreg)

7. 1,066
    habib

habib Developer

there must be one still on the hdd

8. 198
    Scorpion355

Scorpion355 Member

So I'm basically screwed if i don't have one due to new hdd after psn shuts down/ new software update?
    Or is there another way you guys are gonna work on?

9. 1,066
    habib

habib Developer

You might get a kernel exploit by then lmao so just chill really. I don’t think you get a reason everyday to format your hdd

TOM1211 likes this.
  10. 198
    Scorpion355

Scorpion355 Member

Right, I'm just a little paranoid :D

11. 11,174
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

each account is recorded in the xregistry. you may or may not need a psn account tied to it. I'm not sure. according to psdevwiki, you do in order to create an act.dat. I don't know here though.

12. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Like habib said, you shouldn't worry.
    HAN was always going to be a temporary hack, to be enjoyed until new lv2/lv1 exploits make it totally obsolete.
    Someone will eventually make an exploitable vulnerability for the 4.8x kernel public, it's only a matter of time as long as there are people looking for one. No matter who the exploit comes from, when it happens, we will have our entry point into the lv2 kernel & things will move on very quickly, running homebrew will probably be the first thing implemented as a result,
    I already have a kernel rop chain ready to enable fself, the entry point is the only thing missing. ;) Another exploit for lv1 will still be required before one can expect some type of Mamba payload to run on ofw. PSN will not be an issue anymore.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    pinky and STLcardsWS like this.
  13. 618
    Bloodmoons366466

Bloodmoons366466 Member

The ps3 3000's came out around the end of 2011 right,and the super slims came out a year later I think.So it's been 6-7 years later for those models to get some sort of userland exploit if we of course ignore the hastle of the hardmodding that goes into cobra ode.Mabe in anoughter 6-7 years later we will finally see a proper kernel exploit or atleast a improvement to the han injection method.Thats if sony doesnt shut down psn for the ps3 before then.

14. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

I do not think it will take that long, I am optimistic about it even though I wish there was more interest from active hackers/devs in the ps3 kernel, it would speed things up...

Let us keep things in perspective.
    12 months ago, there was no userland exploit release whatsoever for 4.8x 3xxx & 4xxx models, only the DTU injection hack method.
    A few months ago, HAN did not exist...
    There are has been more progress made in this particular area in the past year than in the previous 5-6 years altogether.

mr_ota, pinky and STLcardsWS like this.