PS3 [WIP] Rebug REX 303 MOD

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by DeViL303, Apr 3, 2019.

1. 7,784
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

I've started work on a Rebug mod. This will be for myself mainly and people like me, who are major Rebug fans, but are not so bothered about sticking as close to official OFW as Rebug does. I am not talking about things like waves or coldboots or fonts, I will be leaving those as standard, this is more about functional logical changes imo.

Some OFW things that Rebug has that I think can be done slightly differently
    • Link to OFW update server can be removed, or directed to custom server for CFW updates. If this had of been done years ago it would have saved thousands of euros on E3 flashers and lost CFW.
    • Remove ALL unused files, icons and xmls etc, Home icon, shop xmls, widget stuff etc.
    • Remaining xmls cleaned of shop sections, dummy items, BDU sections, and any unused items like Home, This actually effect performance on the XMB
    • 3 "Search for media server" icons reduced to just 1, Maybe in network, no need to have it duplicated.
    • PS Store ads item in Game category either removed or re purposed as it does not work.
    • 2 useless folder removed from PSN category.
    • Reboot icon added to user category with query for Reload XMB pkg too, so if that is installed it will show up there.
    • Possibly removing HKNW (photo gallery icon) , not sure about this, does anyone on CFW use it? It takes up like 3MB of flash that could be used in better ways, like adding a decent theme like Berions metalification that would be used by more people. Or webman updater.
    Some custom stuff i would like to add:
    • Adding a Homebrew folder to the game category that utilizes the HM category in PARAM.SFO , the only app that ever used HM was Home afaik. And HM = HomeMade :) , all a user would have to do is change the param.sfo toimove any application in there.
    • Adding the original game boot sound instead the standard coldboot sound, I hate that sound, its depressing, but the gameboot is nice and bright and short :) Also it saves 1MB of flash
    • The rewritten package manager that is half the size in xml but has more features. Also move PSN content to the bottom, its default option when you open the package manager yet its the least used
    • Adding a new xmb item like CFW Toolbox but simpler, with options to disable singstar, block system updates etc.
    • Having a couple of simple useful packages built in along with rebug toolbox, such as the Reload XMB app
    • Adding the extended xai plugin, so that users have copy/delete/move options available from xml for any purpose.
    • Some more stuff.

Couple of small visual changes i would consider.
    • Adding the impose mod I did with the ps3 image like pre retail FW.
    • Adding this Rebug Coldboot
    upload_2019-4-3_14-47-20.png
    upload_2019-4-3_14-53-1.png

If anyone has ideas for functional changes/additions, that dont take up much space as we are very limited, let me know. This might be a WIP for a long time and i might just use it myself and never release it :-p

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    n00b, citra mulia, Algol and 9 others like this.
  2. 1,347
    psykosis

psykosis Developer Developer

Include webman-mod
    cobra enabled by default
    No gamequit stuffs

is it possible to have dynamic fan control defaulted on?

DeViL303 likes this.
  3. 7,784
    DeViL303

webman: Yes, i was thinking to include the webman mod updater pkg in with rebug toolbox pkg on flash, so its included, but still optional button press away. Maybe slimmed down pkg with just the normal version included, or just full and minimum icons.

Cobra: its enabled by default on latest REX anyway, but yes, definitely. Also CFW toolbox or CFW settings enabled by default, this is important for people remarrying drives as they cant boot the toolbox to enable it.

gamequit: Agreed, they are removed from standard REX now anyway too.

fan control: I think it would be possible if webman was enabled by default like it used to be.

n00b and Algol like this.
  4. 22
    djvoyager

djvoyager Member

Is it possible FTP server to run even in XMB mod? It would be nice transferring content while the user plays games.

Изпратено от моят SM-N950F с помощта на Tapatalk

5. 1,347
    psykosis

webman ALREADY DOES THIS

Rommy667 likes this.
  6. 7,784
    DeViL303

I was thinking, i could remove photo gallery, but leave an icon there, that installs it again. This way we get the best of both worlds, we gain 3MB, and no features are removed technically, For the rare user that needs it, they just click a button and a HKNW installer appears. :) That installer can then dummy the webman mod updater pkg when it installs to get its space back.

Might not even bother, I have literally never seen anyone talk about this app or say they use it, think it can just go.

7. 1,347
    psykosis

I like that IGM you got w/ the ps3 in the bg.
    Coldboot looks pretty sick too

Possibly include either metalification or rebugification theme?

8. 7,784
    DeViL303

Yeah its cool, here is the rco attached in case you didnt already see it in the DECR 0.90 thread, or if anyone else reading this wants it. I could not make the image as high res as it was in OPRFW (official pre retail firmware) , but its still nice enough. I seemed to be limited on the filesize on the rco overall.

I will try add at least the metalification theme, I now have 240 icons that match this theme so its the most complete set, I was planning on adding lotsof those to flash too, to be used by modders, mainly myself. I think its mad we have not added any custom icons or text strings for general use , but we still keep in tonnes of icons and text strings that will never be used.

Attached Files:

9. 7,784
    DeViL303

Also , can some users please try this coldboot logo and sound and tell me what they think, I think it is much nicer but maybe im just bored with the others.

Also i do like the idea of saving 1MB of flash by using a shorter sound,

Attached Files:

n00b likes this.
  10. 3,260
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

LOL Looks like my dreamed CFW finally is coming true :)

Some ideas:
    - Instead of include themes and packages like Rebug Toolbox or webMAN updater in /dev_flash, I would prefer if you use XMB links or use XMBPD to install these tools directly from XMB, saving even more space in /dev_flash ;) You can have a section "Get Started" or "Essentials" with Movian, RetroArch, Rebug Toolbox, multiMAN, webMAN updater, prepNTFS, PKGLAUNCH, PS2 CONFIG and PSP Launcher.

- Would it be possible to have the media servers enabled by default?

- I don't recall the default value in Rebug for Automatic Update, but it should be disabled.

- As you're adding a new Homebrew category, maybe it would be practical to have Package Manager there. Maybe duplicated at top of the list, to don't break existing apps like webMAN that expect it in Games category. XMBM+ already has it duplicated, but as it is now, it's a bit hard to find when you have many games and the focus is not near it.

- I wish to have new_core pre-installed as a default feature.

- Games sorted by name by default when grouped by Albums. IIRC this can be changed using the new CFW Tools.

PS.
    This remind me the old times when we used to brainstorm ideas for XMBM+

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Algol and DeViL303 like this.
  11. 7,784
    DeViL303

I like it. That would save more space for things like functional patches, like the block system update icon patch for example. Some direct links to top apps, like a mini XMBPD built in with just 10 items.

This mini xmbpd could include the full xmbpd package too, but that would then be optional. XMBPD is now like 50MB , so be nice to make that optional but still give links to the top 10 apps.
    Im just playing with those entries now. I do not think that is possible as that would be stored in the xregistry. I can make so the search for servers icon always shows, regardless of whether it enabled, but unfortunately searching does not enable it, and it will just find none if its disabled.

Not sure if it would be possible to force it to enabled with an sprx edit.

Good idea, I can probably "break" that with an rco or sprx edit like system update icon, the actual value would be stored in the xregistry too i suppose.
    Yes, I was just thinking Homebrew Folder for apps, but i also have a nice unreleased mod, where its a full homebrew category. with tv category repurposed to right hand side of game, utilising the explore_category_game.sprx and explore_category_game.rco for extra features compared to normal tv category. Also i have changed the icon in the icontex.qrc etc. Do you think i should go with a bigger homebrew mod like that, or just add a folder to the game category for homebrew apps that users might want to separate from games? Im open to both ways.

Thats cool, can install that no prob, 50kb.
    Yes, i can add that, with the xmb text entries modified to show "sort by name" too.

Yeah! The good old days when scene was exploding :)

n00b, Algol and Joonie like this.
  12. 2,440
    Berion

Berion Developer

What is NewCore self?

I'm sorry to not keep up to date Rebugification (mods icons) but I really don't have time for it. It is extremely time consuming, when Metalification is just preparing white, flat icon, paste effect on it and voila. Rebugification icons processing many steps, and sometimes additional tweaking. You can believe me it's clockmaker type of work. ;)

DeViL303 likes this.
  13. 3,107
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

I think I should retire :) great work @DeViL303

Algol and DeViL303 like this.
  14. 22
    djvoyager

djvoyager Member

What quantity of flash memory does the system use normally?

15. 609
    Spawn

Spawn Member

Wmm and sMan (user option)
    Or in xmb a "HBstore" to install anything the user wants.

DeViL303 and aldostools like this.
  16. 3,107
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

The maximum size of dev_flash I know of is 224MB

17. 3,260
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

Instead of retire, you should hire @DeViL303 as part of Rebug Team :D LOL

Berion, DeViL303 and Joonie like this.
  18. 7,784
    DeViL303

Its fine, I like metalification more now, I really like rebugification too, but for general use metalification is closer to OFW, but nicer. I also have made loads of combo icons by mixing your, some are not so good, but some of them turned out ok.
    We are dealing with about 2-4 MB of free space right now afaik.
    Maybe, good idea, I would need to test sman on latest FW and make sure its all ok, has not been updated in a good while. Do you use it all the time?
    You cant do that, without Rebug my mod wouldnt be anything. :)

its just you are a bit restricted on changes you can make due to such a big userbase who expect things to be a certain way, I'm not tied like that so can change it up a bit. Maybe you would like to help out with it. I think i will probably be asking you some questions anyway. :)

n00b, Algol, Berion and 1 other person like this.
  19. 22
    djvoyager

djvoyager Member

As fan of retrogaming can I ask what about HBMAME? I mean that there's a HomeBrew MAME that runs hacked modified roms. I suppose that there's a windows version only. If someone can write a PS3 version that can be integrate in XMB also.

20. 7,784
    DeViL303

There is a MAME emulator here? is that what you mean. I could add a link to that maybe if its working ok. But its way too big to integrate, its about 30MB.

https://store.brewology.com/ahomebrew.php?brewid=237

n00b likes this.