PS2 Would be possible a theme like this? and some ideas

Discussion in 'Open PS2 Loader (OPL)' started by david1995w, Feb 16, 2020.

1. 13
    david1995w

david1995w Forum Noob

Hi! I'm new here but I've been visiting this forums for a while now. I love the work you guys do with OPL and we, users, appreciate a lot all this and we're enjoying our games better than ever. Using OPL since version 0.6 it's amazing how has evolved. The other day I tryed the last OPL version, with the new logo, the new menu, etc... and I think it's great, Berion did a great job with that theme. But I noticed, now the background per game doesn't appears in the background of the game list, but in the info page. I loved the BG per game function, so I thought making a theme for the OPL. I made some concepts but I don't know if is possible with the today's configuration of the OPL themes. And other stuff that is impossible currently.

I did this based on Berion theme, with some changes (SORRY FOR THE PSX LOGO, i had a history master class a bit late... now I know):

LIGHT THEME
    [​IMG]
    DARK
    [​IMG]
    Different icons, more 2D style matching with the new OPL logo you guys did, the buttons at the corners for even more clarity and visibility of backgrounds and an OPL logo with (and this is imposible at the moment) some type of light. A light that you could change the tone for wherever you want (like that thing moving in the OPL settings background, but just in the logo.. Could look great even with empty backgrounds. Something like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the empty background I would use just one that could be personalized with colors in the OPL settings instead of an image. Example:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And guys, background per game is an amazing feature in OPL and works really well even with the PS2 limitations. (and sound per game background.....maaan.....would be awesome).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And something more. I saw some post of people talking about new features for next versions. Like DVD launcher in the menu, VMC MC explorer for copy, change, delete savedatas. Is it possible a file explorer like Ulaunchelf (or even Ulaunchelf) inplemented in the menu of OPL? or maybe it's too demanding for the PS2 memory. So I made this setting menu:

A simplified one with some sections included in others (I forgot the Parental Lock, could fit in general too).
    [​IMG]

With colors for On/Off for better visuality in a background with lack of lines. The sound effects 0=OFF
    (Dialog Color square is missing... and should be Dialog color). [​IMG]

Network settings and Network update in one option,
    [​IMG]

And the magic one. It's too simplistic because I don't know if is possible
    [​IMG]

And that's all for now. It's not perfect, there are some errors in measurements etc. But hope you like the concepts and would be an honor if you guys choose this theme (at least what can be done) as official in a future OPL version someday.

RivalK93, TnA, jolek and 7 others like this.
  2. 2,678
    Berion

Berion Developer

Hello.
    As far as I know with current OPL versions implemented configuration, doesn't allow You to move/organize button info. You cannot also hide them, to merge it with theme background as graphics. Additionally is not possible to add main screen bg fit to info bg, which are tied to games. It is not mean that this is impossible to implement, but means that currently such features are not implemented. Or maybe I'm wrong because didn't touch it for ages. ^^ So I hope @Krah could put some light on this matter. Oh, and main line of OPL doesn't have POPS Starter Launcher.

I never designed settings screen, because as I heard, it wasn't skinable. And to be honest, I don't even know how this menu looks like in current builds. But - I like how You organize them but You must also know that they will not be good on 4:3, which should be priority as this is native AR on PS2. ^^

Personally I'm a fan of KISS ideology (keep it simple) because the more You add, the more bugs can appear, the more quality assurance tests must be made and more peoples will need involve their time. I like when application doing thing or things which are related to specific functionality. That's of course only my words, I have not any power to make any decisions in that matter etc. but from my perspective, based on what I saw during all this PS2 life time period, developing on this console is extremely hard. Even uLE/wLE still have some bugs, and developers which already maintain it, fighting with some unexpected. And You want merge it with OPL? ;)

david1995w and Krah like this.
  3. 215
    Krah

Krah Developer

It’s definitely possible to have a custom theme like that couple things though.

Hint icons and text are grouped and rendered one after the other on a shared x/y-axis pos so you would need to not display hints in the theme cfg and have them as part of the background image. Problem there would be the Select Button as it can be either Cross or Circle depending on settings.

In regards to the Settings page, it looks really nice @sandungas suggested the same/similar idea. Problems would be someone taking the time to code it. Also the strings themselves might not be left with enough room for rendering in certain languages that have long words e.g Polish.. Doesn’t mean someone can’t try make it work though as it is visually appealing and quicker/easier to navigate even.

We only just replaced the Default Theme in OPL so I think this theme would be best as a custom theme, perhaps @Tupakaveli would like to have a go at it? Currently all my time is taken up with family and playing games (just started evil within 2) :biggrin2:

TnA, Tupakaveli, Algol and 2 others like this.
  4. 7,012
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I cant see the images btw, so i cant comment much, but as something general... in my oppinion the settings menu for something like this could be made pretty much in the same way is made in a loooot of videogames, basically divided in 3 levels
    At top of the screen there are "tabs" (level1) and the user can navigate the tabs with the dualshock triggers
    Then the main screen divided in half vertically (level2 at left, and level3 at right)

This way is very easy to scroll all the levels in a fast way, keep in mind the info from level2 and level3 are visibles even when browsing level1 in the tabs
    The point is there is no need to enter level2 or level3 if your only goal is to take an overview of all your settings in a fast way

--------------------------
    Another thing that have many games in the settings screens is a "infobar" for the help messages at most bottom of the screen (or alternativelly at most top of the screen)

david1995w likes this.
  5. 13
    david1995w

david1995w Forum Noob

Hi Berion and thank you. Think I didn't understand that well (sorry english is not my native language). What I mean with the background is just how it works normally but now, with the last version OPL, the background you download with the OPL Manager doesn't appears as a background in the game list. Now appears only in the info menu of the game (or I'm missing some setting that can put the background in the game list as always¿?)

I didn't think about bugs, thought memory limitations could be the first problem. Would be awesome making all those things with the OPL.

Hey Krah. Possible, that's great. Yes.. there could be some problems with the X O configuration. The buttons icon are pics at a low resolution, so there is no chance in making the text as part of the icon? and make two variant of X and O.

I was thinking about it when finished the menu settings. Some languages and 4:3 would need to be fixed. But I think it can be done with some modifications as you say.

Of course, as I said, in a future if you guys want to make something like this (version 1.0, 0.10.0... you know). I enjoyed a lot EW2, and the first too.

Can`t you see the pics? even with the links? I could reupload the images as a file if you want to download and see it.

Thank you all for your time.
    OPL-Dark-THEME-empty.png OPL-Light-THEME-empty.png OPL-Dark-THEME-empty2.png OPL-Dark-THEME-empty3.png OPL-Light-THEME-empty2.png OPL-Light-THEME-empty3.png OPL-BG1.png OPL-BG2.png OPL-BG3.png z-OPL-THEMESAMPLE-budokai3.png z-OPL-THEMESAMPLE-GTA3.png z-OPL-THEMESAMPLE-SH2.png z-OPL-THEMESAMPLE-SH-R.png z-OPL-THEMESAMPLE-SOTC.png 1-OPL-GENERAL-SETTINGS.png 2-OPL-D-A-SETTINGS.png 3-OPL-NETWORK-SETTINGS.png OPL-FILE-EXPLORER.png

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    jolek likes this.
  6. 7,012
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Yes, i can see them now, what i mentioned for the settings menu in concept is mostly like this image where the screen is divided in 3 menu levels
    The difference is what i suggested have the first level at top of the screen like tabs, it gives a few more room in the main screen divided in half (second level at left half, and third level at right half)
    [​IMG]

Both concepts are limited to use 3 "levels" of menus though, but most of the times with 3 levels is enought

7. 2,678
    Berion

Berion Developer

@david1995w I have fully understood You. :)

I'm not sure if memory is any kind of limitation for such features as probably none of the GUI part stay after game launching and IOP managing.

8. 89
    El_Patas

El_Patas Member

@david1995, very great, i like all of them, the design and the colours.

Well, what i don't like personally is having a different background per game in the game list,
    because it reduces visibility in the texts and in the screen in general, and i not used it never.

But i understand that there is people who likes it.

For have a background per game in the games list, you need only to have an image jpg or png
    with the ID of each game and the BG letters like this:

SLES_517.92_BG.png

Put this file inside the ART folder, and activate the art in the OPL settings.

I tried with OPL 0.9.3 and works only with the default plasma bakground, do not works when
    using a custom theme, maybe is needed to change some attribute in the configs of the custom themes.

But do not works at all with the Korium default theme of the beta revision r1436.
    Why?
    This possibility has been eliminated after OPL 0.9.3?

About your design maybe could be adapted to the current design to have them as custom themes
    for an official pack, and also take them into account to put one as default in a next publication of the OPL.

Best regards.

david1995w likes this.
  9. 13
    david1995w

david1995w Forum Noob

Thank you!
    The BG should be optional of course, as always was.

That's what I think. I got all the BG for my games working great in previews OPL version, but now with the r1436 doesn't appear as background. Now appears in the info page of the game.

You mean, put GENERAL, DISPLAY & AUDIO, etc.. at top and navigate like a metro dashboard (XBOX 360 dash style), left and right. For 4:3 aspect ratio is better if you want more room for some languages as you guys say.

10. 1,387
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

ALL the theme-mockups you have posted, should be quite possible! ;)
    (Edit: I've seen the replies now! Well... They still should already be possible, although with limitations... Maybe they are entirely possible in the future!)

Showing the settings on the left side is also quite possible, but your mockup is rather targeting the people which are using an HDTV! We cannot make it that small for a CRT (I suppose)!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    david1995w likes this.
  11. 2
    Darkshadow_

Darkshadow_ Member

Or those of us that don't set OPL to widescreen even if we are using an HDTV

12. 1,387
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Why would someone not use the full screen?

13. 13
    david1995w

david1995w Forum Noob

I'll do some concepts in 4:3 too.

Peppe90 likes this.
  14. 13
    david1995w

david1995w Forum Noob

I've been doing another setting menu with 4:3 aspect ratio. This time in polish (sorry for all the typos), to make sure it has room enough . I've change the font for a condensed one (at least in polish it's necessary for 4:3 and a configuration like this). And a semi-transparent white rectangle on the left side for better visual separation of the levels.
    Polish4-3.png

Semi-transparent to better combine custom colors.
    2.Polish4-3.png
    3.Polish4-3.png

What do you guys think?

Peppe90, TnA and jolek like this.
  15. 1,753
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

I cannot make my mind between 1st and 2nd option...

If you like latest PL translation with its font is here:
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/o...leases-language-pack.20547/page-5#post-225378.

It goes something like this:
    Ustawienia Główne:
    Nie Wyświetlaj Kolorów Debugowania
    Logo PS2
    Buforowanie Listy Gier (HDD)
    Ścieżka Dla IGR
    Włącz Operację Zapisu
    Zapamiętaj Ostatnio Uruchomioną Grę
    Przycisk Wyboru

Sprawdź Fragmentację Gier USB
    Prefix Ścieżki USB
    Prefix Ścieżki ETH
    Automatyczne Zwalnianie Obrotów HDD

Uruchom Urządzenie USB
    Uruchom Urządzenie HDD
    Uruchom Urządzenie ETH
    Wyświetl Menu Aplikacji
    Domyślne Menu

And... Obraz i dźwięk instead of Wyświetlacz i Audio

16. 13
    david1995w

david1995w Forum Noob

Oh, of course. I'm not trying to change the translation, just using polish as a reference for know if there is room enough in 4:3 with this design. I was using google translate for the options haha. What I would like to know is, if with a configuration like this there would be problems or it would be fine.

17. 215
    Krah

Krah Developer

5C111DC6-7329-44A1-A047-8232768CE23A.png

I had a quick go at @sandungas idea, using L1 & R1 to cycle through the options up the top.. I think it looks OK? What do you guys think?

It would still need a lot of work condensing options etc, was more so just to get a visual.

@david1995w out of interest, what font size are you using for the concepts? Pretty sure OPL is hardcoded to 17.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    sandungas, TnA, jolek and 1 other person like this.
  18. 1,753
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Looks good.
    I also really like green\red font to inform what option is on\off.

Out of curiosity... will all options fit the screen?
    I mean will there will be any scroll bar if not all options will fit?

I do not remember exactly, but e.g. "About" takes almost full screen...
    so some pages might be "problematic" without this "feature".

BTW I uploaded your screenshot (edited)...
    ppp.png

TnA likes this.
  19. 1,387
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Interesting!

20. 215
    Krah

Krah Developer

Yea the irritating thing is, it’s not as simple as I was hoping.. in that screenshot I have quickly just set the colours for ui_bools (they only have two possible options on or off) but if you look further down you’ll see HDD auto start etc is off but not colour coded...

That’s because they are enums with multiple options.. one of which is off.. so I’d have to string compare or something in order to determine whether to set the colour to off.. it’s not difficult it’s just more code which may be seen as unnecessary.

Not sure tbh, that’s what we’d have to find out as we go.. there is a surprising amount of stuff to do for something that appears so simple, lots of things to think about.

Currently as you know, hitting OK saves settings (in GUI not cfg) and hitting Back reverts to when you first went into that dialog window.. so we’d have to have this same temp save behaviour when switching between tabs (L1/R1) otherwise it would just be annoying.

Lots of dialog windows would need to be condensed etc, need to figure out the best place to put things.. and the of course the game menu would need the same treatment otherwise it won’t match and will just look weird. Several Lang strings would need to be changed (again! Lol). Not difficult stuff but it’s all time. Probably a bunch of stuff I’m not even noticing atm also.

david1995w, jolek and TnA like this.