PS2 Would be possible a theme like this? and some ideas

Discussion in 'Open PS2 Loader (OPL)' started by david1995w, Feb 16, 2020.

1. 1,752
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Theoretically it is not a bad thing, because we can have other colors for e.g. USB\SMB\HDD mode start.

Although as you wrote additional code will needs to be added which will take time and more tests.

IMO we can have these colors:
    Off - Manual - Auto.

TnA likes this.
  2. 6,975
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

If the only available options are ON/OFF (in other words, the setting is a switch)... the most intuitive way to display it is with an icon, like this ones used in managunz
    I added a couple more icons for the L1 and R1

https://github.com/Zarh/ManaGunZ/blob/master/pkgfiles/USRDIR/GUI/common/TOGGLE_ON.PNG
    https://github.com/Zarh/ManaGunZ/blob/master/pkgfiles/USRDIR/GUI/common/TOGGLE_OFF.PNG
    https://github.com/Zarh/ManaGunZ/blob/master/pkgfiles/USRDIR/GUI/common/L1.PNG
    https://github.com/Zarh/ManaGunZ/blob/master/pkgfiles/USRDIR/GUI/common/R1.PNG

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    TnA likes this.
  3. 6,975
    sandungas

Btw, a feature that i like a lot is the "one hand navigation", lol
    I know is not used very frequently, but i like a lot when the interface allows for it

The concept is that most of the times is posible to navigate all the settings menus, and enable/disable options just with the left hand

L1 button should allow to "cycle" all the menus at top level... i mean, when you are at most left, and press L1 you move to the most right (and viceversa)
    And the switches should be able to be enabled/disabled just by pressing D-pad left/right

TnA likes this.
  4. 6,975
    sandungas

Ohh well, i had protochop warmed up and made some more sketchups to show you a couple of ideas
    @Krah now you are building this you are on time to prepare a nice help message bar, my experience discussing with zar about this help messages for managunz is that this is a massive pita to implement later, so if you prepare it well now you are going to dodge many problems later
    Most people are not going to realize why im giving so many importance to this help messages though, but is have many consequences (because it "breaks" the interface design in many ways), anyway...

The point is having help messages everywhere is very helpful for the new users that never used the program before... but the users that knows the program eventually are going to dislike all that texts
    So the solution is to have an general setting to enable/disable the help messages

One of the consequences of that is the interface needs to "preserve" an area for them (even when disabled)... another consequence is the themes needs to take in consideration the position of the help bar
    In mentioning a "help bar" because the goal is to give to the help bar the most width posible... also it needs to allow to display text strings bigger than the screen width by scrolling text (if needed)

And there are not much places to locate the help bar (and all tem are annoying), but by looking at your image i think in this case it would fit better here:
    [​IMG]
    Or here... (like managunz)
    [​IMG]
    Or here... (in the same position you are using)
    [​IMG]

5. 13
    david1995w

david1995w Forum Noob

@Krah it could be, for example, using START as OK in the settings menu.
    @jolek yeah, we can have different colors for those options. I would use instead Off - On - Auto. Yellow could be seen like a warning ¿?
    OPL-metroCOLOR.png

Or like @sandungas says
    OPL-metroTOGGLE.png

jolek and sandungas like this.
  6. 6,975
    sandungas

Btw the string "Disable Debug Colors" looks like it could be replaced simply by "Debug Colors"
    I mean... there is a combination in the actual look that is a double negation

Disable Debug Colors = OFF <-------------- a double disabled means enabled, right ? :D

Edit:
    And in the text strings where appears the word "enabled" it can be removed because is implicit, as example:

Enable Write Operations = ON <------------- double affirmation, not needed
    Write Operations = ON <-------------------- this have the same meaning

7. 6,975
    sandungas

Taskbar added to @david1995w image
    [​IMG]

*You flipped the position of L1 and R1 buttons, btw... im guessing you didnt made it on purpose

8. 13
    david1995w

david1995w Forum Noob

Pff.. yes it's a mistake haha.

9. 6,975
    sandungas

hehe, ok, if you are going to make more versions of that image please try this, i think is going to give it a more solid looking

[​IMG]

The notes i added in yellow at bottom doesnt matters much... because the actual image matches perfect with what i painted

What im suggesting is to reorder a bit the stuff most at top... the concept is the "bottom bar" and the "top bar" should have the same height, and the icons/texts in them should be aligned to center
    In other words... increase the height of the "top bar" a bit... and move the L1 and R1 a bit more to top acordingly

And i think you could decrease the font height a bit because it looks a bit excesive.. but im not sure, maybe is a personal oppinion

Btw, if you want to use some generic background for the tests you could try this ones
    https://github.com/Zarh/ManaGunZ/blob/master/pkgfiles/USRDIR/GUI/XMB/Replica Zero/BG.PNG
    https://github.com/Zarh/ManaGunZ/blob/master/pkgfiles/USRDIR/GUI/XMB/Replica Zero/BGS.PNG

Krah and jolek like this.
  10. 1,752
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

So let's leave yellow. :tranquillity:

BTW I know it is only prototype, but:
    USB Device Start Mode has got Off - Manual - Auto
    HDD Device Start Mode has got Off - Manual - Auto
    SMB Device Start Mode has got Off - Manual - Auto
    Application Device Start Mode has got Off - Manual - Auto

BTW 2 Great work\suggestions @sandungas, @david1995w, @Krah.

BTW 3 Now I don't know which version is better...
    On\Off or with buttons... [​IMG]

11. 6,975
    sandungas

I made another sketchup, with the "help bar" at bottom
    [​IMG]

Algol and david1995w like this.
  12. 13
    david1995w

david1995w Forum Noob

@sandungas well, that's it. The font is big in OPL too, but I think it should be smaller. In my preview theme concepts I'm using a smaller one.
    @jolek thank you. Well, I think the buttons fit better with plasma. Even with my design I like it:
    English4-3-TOGGLE.png

jolek likes this.
  13. 6,975
    sandungas

@Krah there is something i been thinking in suggesting to some of you (the OPL developers registered and active in this forum) since months ago, the reason why i waited so much and why im mentioning "some of you" in plural is because what im going to suggest is going to break a bit the theme support and requires some code changes
    Also, my goal is to replace the official default OPL icons inside the .elf

I have 2 PS2's with modchips, used some homebrews, and i was used to scene and hardware and stuff, but i never used OPL... while thinking about all this i was considering to fix one of my PS2's to install OPL just to make a theme for it, but i never did, and thats not my plan really
    What i want is to help you to improve the OPL interface with some nice icons, because i (consider myself) good creating small icons, and i have a bunch of them already made for ManaGunZ, some of them can be used directly in OPL and i could make some more if needed at the same quality

Because an image worths hundred words... this are the actual OPL dualshock icons
    [​IMG]
    And mines
    [​IMG]

This are the actual OPL device icons
    [​IMG]
    And mines
    [​IMG]

And this are the actual OPL others icons (i dont have replacement for this ones but i can make them)
    [​IMG]

----------------
    Im guessing you are going to like the quality of the dualshock icons... but at this point all you have spotted the problem right ?
    All my icons are a perfect square, but some of the actual OPL icons are not (L1.png, R1.png, and select.png are 64x32 pixels)
    My argument about why to change all icon sizes to squares is because for the OPL developers (and even for image designers) having all the icons as a perfect square is a lot more convenient. Also as you can see in the images it looks fine (is not really needed to have some icons as rectangles)

The device icons i made for ManaGunZ have some room for improvement because i was adding a blur effect to counterfeit an annoyance of the Tiny3D graphic library (that creates ugly random edges in areas with high contrasts)
    The syle of them is copyed from PS3 XMB... i guess this could fit well with the default style of OPL, lol, is like "backporting" the conceptual design of the PS3 XMB back to PS2 :P
    The "network" device icon is something i made just because i was not sure what to do with it... so i copyed it completly... im still doubtful about it
    The "disc" device icon im showing you is just one of the bunch i made in colors... i have others with other details (PS3 XMB uses a dark-blue disc for PS2)

Incase you want to add more dualshock icons i have a bunch more combinations (the complete collection for DS3), this is a test i made at 20x20 pixels
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    david1995w and Algol like this.
  14. 1,386
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

They should not be smaller than 64x64x4Bit!

15. 272
    Tupakaveli

Tupakaveli VIP PSX-Place Supporter

The latest OPL beta has some new icons and I'm sure I made all the button icons square.

16. 6,975
    sandungas

There is some link where i can see them ?
    I just took the icons from the official OPL git (some weeks ago)
    This is not a problem, the way i work is a bit special, are like polygons, so i can scale them to any size without losing quality :)

TnA and Algol like this.
  17. 272
    Tupakaveli

Tupakaveli VIP PSX-Place Supporter

18. 6,975
    sandungas

I forgot to mention another detail sorry, the goal was to have all icons as perfect squares... and... all them with the same size "by groups"

The dualshock icons are a group, the point is the developers could implement new functions or move some icon around, and at the time they does that is good if they have full freedon to choose any button independenlty of his size (because all the dualshock icons should be 32x32 pixels)

I made another image with the actuals (that seems to be a bit different than the ones i got from OPL git weeks/months ago)
    [​IMG]

In the icons at top row, from some months ago (that doesnt really matters at this point, im just adding them to the image because i did it yesterday) 3 of them had a size of 64x32
    In the actuals most of them are the same, i see some adjustments in the edges and select icon was replaced to 32x32 (this was fixed), but the size of L1 and R1 has been increased up to 64x64 (instead of reducing them to 32x32 to match the size of all other dualshock icons)
    So to me it looks reducing the sizes of L1 and R1 would be something good to do

Anyway, in the icons i made i solved that "problem" because all them are 32x32, and additionally i think they looks better than the actual OPL dualshock icons

Algol likes this.
  19. 6,975
    sandungas

And the other icons i was talking about... well, this is what i have already made, lets say are candidates to replace the actuals, but im not sure which ones could fit better, you have to decide
    [​IMG]

All this icons are made 100% from scratch btw, just incase you are wondering, the style is copyed from the XMB but are not official, and others are new using the same style
    The point is if you dont like this ones im showing i could make others with whatever you tell me to do, with that same style for that group composed by icons of 64x64 pixels size
    In the way i see them... the 4 at left in this image are "device" icons, and the 4 at right are "system" icons, and thats all as far i see in the git

The other icons in the git that belongs to the korium theme is another story, i dont plan to mess around with them

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    TnA and Algol like this.
  20. 6,975
    sandungas

Just made a couple of new icons
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    TnA, david1995w and Algol like this.