PS3 Would it be possible to have a DLNA server plugin on PS3

Discussion in 'Homebrew Development' started by DeViL303, Apr 1, 2019.

1. 6,695
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Would it be possible to modify webman mod, or a separate plugin so that the PS3 has a built in DLNA server, for internal use mainly, it would not have to be accessible outside of the ps3 at all?

Is webman mod not half way there already in a way?

This way it could scan its own folders for content including dev_hdd0 and usb devices, and serve it up onto the XMB, maybe it would be possible to have mkv or FLAC support added through transcoding?

Are there any open source DLNA servers that it would be possible to port to the PS3, is anyone up for it?

I think it would really add a lot to the ps3. with better ways to organize media, more formats supported. Also it could share the media to other devices on the LAN although that would not be so important.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  2. 20
    odin82740

odin82740 Forum Noob

Basically open it up to be used as something similar to a plex server? If this is possible I would love to know how

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

DeViL303 likes this.
  3. 3,089
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

the closest thing I know of is webMAN and multiMAN's remote connectivity features. @aldostools and @deank could explain better.

STLcardsWS likes this.
  4. 3,179
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

DLNA as player is an official feature (Movian has that feature too). Maybe someone interested in DLNA could make a server for PS3.
    The main purpose of DLNA in PS3 is to stream movies, music and pictures. These formats use sequential read of the media files.

However, stream games with DLNA shouldn't be easy initially because the games were not designed to be streamed. The data in the game media can be read sequentially or random. What Cobra team did was to implement a proxy that catches the read requests to the disc (ISO), process these sectors (reading the corresponding sector via ps3netsrv, ntfs or local ISO image) and return the data of the requested sectors to the game process.

That proxy is a very specific design of Cobra. I don't know if DLNA is capable of process the files in that way, or at least in an efficient way.

Indeed Cobra's proxy is not very efficient either, because it sometimes reads more sectors than necessary and if the game request the same sectors multiple times, they are processed each time because they are not cached (due the limited availability of memory and resources).

5. 100
    Lambada

Lambada Member

Hmm.. something came to my mind.
    How Steam Link works, would it be possible to stream PC games to a PS3 in another room and play them with dualshock 3?

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

6. 702
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    What, doesn't DLNA already exist in the form of "Media Server"?

7. 6,695
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    The ps3 is a DLNA client, I'm talking about adding a DLNA server. It could add flac support, and possibly mkv.

Remember, Lots of mkvs will play on the PS3 without transcoding if the container is changed on the fly.

n00b likes this.
  8. 702
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    AAAhaaa yeah im stupid, didnt read

9. 6,695
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Yeah i did not mean to do anything at all with games. It would just act like a normal simple media server, it would not even have to be accessible outside of the ps3.

What I was thinking was, if the ps3 could serve media to itself, it would get around the lack of support for some formats. Some formats like FLAC could be transcoded and served to the PS3, the XMB would not "know" it was recieving the stream from itself, so it would just accept the media like it was any other external media server. On top of adding support for new formats of audio and pictures, it could also add more complete organizing of media.

The cool thing about a media server is the titles and items can update without a reboot. Which means content can just appear if you put in a USB stick with FLAC on it for example.

And of course it could be controlled with fake media icons like Plex or other servers do it. (see image below)

upload_2019-4-2_12-38-54.png

Anyway i realize there are probably only a couple of devs in the scene who could pull off something like this, yourself and @deank being the top 2 so its probably only a dream. :)

n00b likes this.
  10. 702
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    I would really want mkv support.

11. 6,695
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Yeah, lots of mkvs will work on the ps3 without transcoding if the container is changed on the fly, due to the fact that the h264 codec is supported by the ps3, That would most likely not be too hard for the PS3 CPU to do in theory.

That and FLAC support could be added by transcoding to WAV to keep the lossless audio.

Lots of open source DLNA servers that work on PS3 (via PC) to get code from.

https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer/UniversalMediaServer
    https://nmaier.github.io/simpleDLNA/
    https://github.com/vitalidze/justdlna

n00b likes this.
  12. 702
    ISAK.M

ISAK.M Member

Well, School
    OOF, that's great ;)

13. 3,179
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

I would like to have the time and the experience with UPnP/DLNA/SSDP/SOAP protocols, but I don't have none of them. Also the DLNA projects that you listed above require some time to try to understand them, so it is not just a copy/paste. Movian already has UPnP implemented, maybe you could try to interact with Mr. Smas to get some orientation of how feasible is to do it.

*** OFF-TOPIC, but related ***

A project much more easy and feasible that I have been waiting for years is a port of ps3netsrv to Android and/or iOS.
    The storage is not longer an issue in these devices and the protocol is very simple. Here is the code used in webMAN MOD:
    https://github.com/aldostools/webMAN-MOD/blob/master/include/netserver.h

And this is the code for PC:
    https://github.com/aldostools/webMAN-MOD/tree/master/_Projects_/ps3netsrv

This is a port for macOS:
    https://github.com/aldostools/webMAN-MOD/tree/master/_Projects_/ps3netsrv/bins/old/macOS

Unfortunately I don't have much experience with native apps, but I'm very confident that it's not hard to port.

BTW the ps3netsrv protocol lets you stream any content officially supported by XMB (audio, video, pictures, pkg, games, etc.). It only requires to mount an ISO or fake-ISO as /dev_bdvd.

Lambada, n00b, Joonie and 1 other person like this.
Tags: