PS3 Writing recovered data (via Eid root key) to new HD.

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreak CFW and PS3HEN' started by ThemePark, Mar 23, 2020.

1. 5
    ThemePark

ThemePark Forum Noob

A while ago I read somewhere, that it was possible to swap hard disks in a PS3, thus having several disks with OFW installed that you could then swap between. Unfortunately, trying that out caused all hard disks to not be readable anymore, and no matter what HD I put in, I'd be told at boot that I'd have to reboot or reinstall the firmware.

After that, I looked up how to recover data from a PS3 hard disk. I've installed CFW on a new disk, extracted my PS3's eid root key, and used PS3 HDD Reader to make a backup of all the folders on one of my disks.

Then I installed OFW on a separate disk and now I have a basic installation, that I can read using HDD Reader. But that software only reads, but doesn't write. So my question is, how can I write the backed up data I got from an old hard disk, onto this new installation and can I just copy it all, or must I only copy select folders?

2. 2,888
    Berion

Berion Developer

Swapping HDD is possible only on NAND models with the same firmware version. Useless BTW.

About writing (read the tutorial + last commentaries in this thread):
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/tutorial-hdd-mounting-and-decryption-on-linux.23308/

Backup of "all folders" is not necessary. Most of this data is junk.

Firmware is not installed on HDD but on PS3 NAND/NOR memory. On HDD was putting less important fw data like temp/cache/dbs etc. If You installed OFW, then You unhacked Your console...

Algol likes this.
  3. 76
    raidriar

raidriar Forum Noob

Just for curiosity’s sake, say I have a perfect image of a 1TB HDD from one console that has everything I want installed on it. Can I make an image, decrypt it with ERK, then re encrypt with another ERK to a different console and write the image to another 1TB HDD for use in another console?

4. 983
    Coro

Coro Member

no. only ps3 can write to the drive. dont use image just copy the files.

5. 2,888
    Berion

Berion Developer

No one try it I think, but high probably not. You must actually decrypt it twice and twice encrypt it, because for NOR consoles, on HDD one of the partition is flash image which is encrypted again and which contain per console data. There is also one partition with raw flash mirror (for unknown purpose). Everything depend of what data is checked. If checking is only user informations and on both console You have the same uses tied to the same SEN accounts, and both consoles uses the same firmware version, then in theory it is possible.

But still waste of time because faster will be just transfer what You need via FTP, rather than fighting with such huge disk image.

6. 983
    Coro

Coro Member

now that i think about it more you might be able to image the drive and copy the image to new drive if replacing with one the same size. but when you boot new drive it will probably delete act.dat

7. 5
    ThemePark

ThemePark Forum Noob

Huh, I did not know that. The page I found about it, didn't mention that. That explains it then. Good to know.

Well, with the help of your tutorial PDF and Google Translate, I was able to mount all the partitions from the disk. So now all that's left is to transfer the data from the old disk to the new one.

But could you be more specific as to what files and folders I'll need to transfer? Obviously I wanna copy game data, trophies and basically any stuff that is not part of a new installation.

That doesn't matter. I only installed CFW in order to extract the eid root key, so I could install OFW and get my PS3 back to the way it was before I tried swapping disks.

8. 2,888
    Berion

Berion Developer

To write back You need compiled and loaded ufs kernel module with write functionality (only then You will be able to mount dev_hdd0 as -rw instead to -ro (every other methods for writing currently are very risky or very limited)). Which about is in last comments in thread from the link. However, peoples saying write speed is very slow, less than 1MiB so for transferring games is not a good idea.

About important data:
    Code:
    dev_hdd0/game/ (ps3/ps2/psp games+patches+dlc+encrypted ps2 vmc+cache)
    dev_hdd0/vmc/ (unencrypted psx/ps2 virtual memory cards)
    dev_hdd0/home/<user number>/exdata/ (licenses)
    dev_hdd0/home/<user number>/trophy/
    dev_hdd0/home/<user number>/savedata/ (ps3 saves)
    dev_hdd0/home/<user number>/savedata_minis/ (psp saves)
    dev_flash2/etc/xRegistry.sys (system settings+user informations, very important)

dev_hdd0/PS3ISO/
    dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/
    dev_hdd0/PSXISO/
    dev_hdd0/games/ (ps3 games in "folder format")

Before You write OFW, dump also IDPS because it is important to manage protected archives in system backup and saves/trophies resigning, if You ever need it.

BTW: To get rid of CFW and any trace of it:
    1. go to recovery and choose Restore PS3 System option
    2. make quick format of this HDD on PC
    3. put it back to the console and install OFW twice
    Otherwise, You risking of been banned.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Algol likes this.
  9. 459
    RandQalan

RandQalan Member

I actually had to do this 2 days ago
    If same PS3
    HDDRawCopy1.10Portable
    Copy HDD to other HDD
    Was perfect carry over nothing lost but the HDD were same size but 2 different company even made them

Why I did this one was regular HDD another Hybrid HDD
    I need the regular one for my PS4 because for some unknown reason HHDD would not format extended partition for use

Algol likes this.
  10. 5
    ThemePark

ThemePark Forum Noob

Well, I'm unfortunately forced to give up on this.

I had some problems building the UFS module at first. Running the commands, apt chose a hwe package rather than those mentioned in the commands. And I was unable to get the modules to compile in this source package. So instead I downloaded the package linux-source, and had found a different set of instructions for compiling modules. One of them was very useful, as it's not necessary to run "sudo make modules". You can just build the UFS module by itself by running "sudo make M=fs/ufs", which I did.

However, I still got the incorrect module error, as I had also with the other module needed. But I found out that it's necessary to change the versions at the top of the Makefile to exactly match the uname on your system. As soon as I had done that and recompiled, I could insmod the newly built ufs.ko.

And then I started copying the important data, Berion mentioned, until I got to xRegistry.sys. That's when I realized that I didn't have it, and as I had to reformat the old harddisk since I copied the files, it's gone for good.

But I tried reading the new harddisk with the recent OFW install on it, using pstools and ps3_hdd_gui. That's where I noticed that it doesn't display vflash at all. There's hdd0 and hdd1 only. So I tried running the ps3 CLI tool instead with one of the examples in the readme.

Code:
    ps3 hdd dev_flash2 cp /etc/xRegistry.sys
    All that did was print out this error though.
    Code:
          1 [main] ps3 1616 cygwin_exception::open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trac
    e to ps3.exe.stackdump
    And when I looked in the stackdump, it mentioned this error.
    Code:
    Exception: STATUS_INTEGER_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO
    So it seems it's impossible, for some odd reason, to read vflash with the PS3 HDD Reader. And just an FYI, I wasn't using Cygwin but just the standard Windows 7 command prompt, so I'm not sure what that's about.

At any rate, I won't be able to recover my game data because I never did get that xRegister.sys file. :( But at least I have a Linux Mint install with the necessary tools for if this should happen again, or I'm able to recover my other PS3 disk, which unfortunately seems to be dying. So thank you for all the help and manuals, Berion.

Berion likes this.
  11. 2,888
    Berion

Berion Developer

xRegistry.sys is important only because there are information about all users and their NPAID. It is easier to replace this file on another console instead to resigning all saves and trophies. Yet still You can live without it. And this have nothing to do with games.

I am not using any Linux stuff via cygwin or WSL so I don't know the details. However, author of HDD Reader has updated his application about year or two ago. You probably using HDD Reader GUI which contain old binary.

Your welcome.

Algol likes this.
  12. 5
    ThemePark

ThemePark Forum Noob

Well, I didn't know it was possible to recreate xRegistry.sys by resigning save games. However, I tried it now using Bruteforce Save Data, and it didn't work. Oddly the profile I create according to the instructions I found, doesn't have a 16 digit id, whether it's from the old or new data. And unfortunately xRegistry.sys seems to be more important than you say, as none of my data is recognized without that file. No trophies, save games or any of that sort. So I'm still out of luck.

I'm not using Cygwin either, this was just run from a normal Windows command line as mentioned, so I'm not sure what that error is about. I'm actually using ps3tools which contains both the command line and GUI versions, and neither could read vflash. But I couldn't find any mention of a new version of HDD Reader, all the ones I found were version 1.0. Could you link to the update, if you're sure it has been?

13. 2,888
    Berion

Berion Developer

xRegistry.sys replacing is exactly to avoid any resigning. ;)

This file is on all PS3 because this is the system config file. Without it You would see blue screen of death. Just missing some user info on Your new console.

If You don't have this file, You can still get it from anyone on hacked PS3 and edit it, replacing accounts informations by Yours.

You using Cygwin because HDD Reader using it.

I don't remember but I have it in my backup for sure. I'll attach it later.

Algol likes this.
  14. 5
    ThemePark

ThemePark Forum Noob

Huh, I read your message as saying that I either had to have backed up the original xRegistry.sys, otherwise I'd HAVE to resign the new one.

But if I use the same user name on the new installation as I did with the backed up data, shouldn't that be enough? Or what do I have to change in xRegistry.sys?

15. 2,888
    Berion

Berion Developer

User name (whatever if we talking about user name on console or SEN account), is not login and doesn't have any matter.

NP Account ID field if Your saves was saved on console with SEN account, under specific user.

Tags: