Xbox One S Controller and Steam

Discussion in 'XBOX ONE' started by pinky, Oct 5, 2018.

1. 12,264
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

anyone have any experience with this? I've been having trouble getting the wii u pro controller to work. this only seemed to happen with windows 10. the controller menu does nothing aside from the dpad, so I can't map anything. one game I tried, ys origin, will not recognize the controller unless you go into config mode. in there, it's just guesswork as to which button goes to what despite it saying what each button is for (i.e. attack or jump). however, strangely, dq xi seems to pick the controller right up, so it must be either windows 10 or the age ys origin. :(

how is the xbox one controller with steam? is it frustrating like the above or is it seamless? btw, I was able to get the controller to work on windows 7. how is the battery life? I had heard that microsoft went with regular batteries again.

Zazenora likes this.
  2. 2,851
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    It should work fine on your PC/Laptop as it's Microsoft and for steam. I don't have any kind of Xbox anymore. The only thing I use is the 360 controller on my PS3 (Best one for FPS and racing games in my opinion anyway)

Check out this page, only had a quick glance but the controller is definitely said to be compatible with steam.

https://venturebeat.com/2016/08/12/...box-one-s-controller-bluetooth-compatibility/

pinky likes this.
  3. 12,264
    pinky

thanks, man. steam has macros for the ps4, xbone, and switch pro controller. the wii u pro controller seemed to have the same problem with each one including a generic controller config. it was an inability to map buttons. the B button for cancel caused problems with mapping that button specifically. dq xi seemed to have the buttons correctly mapped. I was going to start that game, but haven't yet. what doesn't make sense is ys origin having this problem, because it worked before. I also noticed that emulators were no longer paired to the controller after having made a backup of qp and the emulators and games themselves. this was after installing a ssd on a replacement pc, so I'm not sure what's wrong. the computer glitched up after trying an nes emulator to where the mouse wasn't stable. it's frustrating. I'm going to try flashing an old disk image to see if, at least, emulators are paired again. the wii u pro controller does pair to a mayflash adapter which has worked very well for months if not years, so it could be the controller or the adapter. I'm going to try using a mayflash dongle with the wii u pro controller on the switch, then an xbone one on the pc. every controller, even a ps4 one, must be mapped as an xbone/360 controller with windows 10. :)

I like the ergonomic feel of the 360 controller, which is why I like the pro controller's. the ps3's controller is too small. however, it has a far better dpad than the 360's. the 360's dpad may be one of the worst I've ever seen. :-p

Cypher_CG89 likes this.
  4. 2,851
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    I have to agree. The PS3 controller is far to small, especially for people like me who have 'shovels' for hands lol. I find the analogue sticks are too close together and my thumbs bash together regularly. And the R2 & L2 triggers are poorly designed, there more like 'slippers' not triggers and the resistance on them is pathetic and gets worse really quickly.

It's the exact opposite with the 360 controller, size is just right, analogues in a decent and triggers that have decent shape and resistance (Prefect for throttle control on GT and NFS) and I also agree that the D-pad is terrible, to me if you don't press what want squarely you run the risk of it actually selecting to either side of it or not selecting it at all.

GregoryRasputin and pinky like this.
  5. 12,264
    pinky

yeah, the ps3/4 dpad is far superior to the 360's. that's the reason why i like the pro controller. it has the ergonomic feel of the 360's and the dpad of the ps3's. plus, it has insane battery life at 60-80 hours on a single charge. I've actually had the ps4 controller die while installing pkgs. I've heard that the xbone controller uses batteries which, if the 360 is any indication, last longer than the ps3/4's.

I need a new ps3/4 controller. I don't want to wear down the battery of my limited edition ps4 controller. aside from that, I have another, normal controller for the pstv. I used a wired connection with my ps4 controller and my pc to play a bit of the 3ds via kit kat slim. I only used a wired connection, since I didn't want to sync and resync controllers. you need a third party app or device to use any non 360/xbone controller.

6. 12,264
    pinky

I got the xbone controller today. right now, I'm charging up some batteries to it and my lugi wiimote. ;) it was used, but it looks to be in very good condition. I'm not sure how much one of these controllers costs, but I paid $40 for it. :) I'll let you know how it goes.

I don't think it's steam that's caused this considering an emulator has the same problems. it's probably either interference or the adapter has gone bad. I could try the wii u pro controller on my switch, but I'd need an adapter for that. I might do that considering the switch pro controller's dpad sucks. I tested the dpad on the xbone controller. it feels a bit worn unless it's supposed to be like that. it's definitely a step up that is the trash xbox 360 controller's, but microsoft didn't raise the bar very high. :-p

7. 306
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    I use a wired xbox 360 controller on my Windows 10 x32 PC for gaming. It also has a button on the back that makes all the other buttons light up, and it's smaller than the original controllers which makes for a better fit in my hands.
    It also works out of the box without the need to use any 3rd part software or key mapping programs. Something that bothered me when trying to use a PS3 controller on my PC.
    I'm not sure how the xbox one controllers work on a PC, but if it isn't working properly, there may be a driver you need to download or something else. I've heard that they should work just as good as a 360 controller. Not sure about Steam specifically though.
    I used to play Tree of Savior on steam using a controller, and it worked flawlessly.

8. 12,264
    pinky

there's a button mapping thing for the xbone, ps4, and switch pro controllers. then, there's one for a generic controller. I'm not sure why the wii u pro controller suddenly stopped working properly. this xbone controller is wireless. I'd rather not get cords wrapped around things. :)

Zazenora likes this.
  9. 12,264
    pinky

alright, the buttons are mappable in the big feature view (not sure if they saved or not). saving may have something to do with actually naming the layout.

ys origin still won't allow buttons to be mapped, so I looked it up, and apparently, it's a common problem with any controller and that game. I remapped them with the config file. all seems to work. now, I just need to try dq xi (possibly tomorrow).

also, for some reason, after the controller shut off due to inactivity, I couldn't get it to resync. it wouldn't even pair with my pc anymore. I managed to get it to resync after many attemps, so hopefully this new windows update addresses this problem. otherwise, I'm returning the controller. I know my bluetooth works since I've been using the same bluetooth mouse for ten years now (love that thing). :-p

Zazenora likes this.
  10. 12,264
    pinky

might've been a fluke with that resyncing issue. now, it seems to resync even after being off for a prolonged period. :D I'll make sure first. :)

11. 306
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    Cords don't really bother me, I actually prefer wired controllers as they don't have batteries or have to be charged.
    I get what you mean though. If I had bluetooth on my PC I'd probably use regular controllers too.

I have had resyncing issues with my wired controller from time to time. Replugging it in usually solves it in my case though,
    not sure what processes would be causing it in a wireless controller.

pinky likes this.
  12. 12,264
    pinky

apparently, my pc is too slow to run dq xi. :( I should've been more observant of the specs. I just read a few posts about low end pc's being able to run it, then did nothing more to research it. well, I guess that's $60 wasted, unless I buy a new gpu, which I don't have the money for. I technically didn't even have the money for the game itself. I just awoke from a nap, and I was having nightmares about it. I thought it was just a dream only to remember moments later. :(

Zazenora likes this.
  13. 306
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    I've been there,Final Fantasy X & X-2 HD Remaster for PC. My currently defunt & outdated gaming laptop could barely run it.
    Guess I shouldn't call it a gaming laptop anymore lol

pinky likes this.
  14. 12,264
    pinky

I might just have to wait until the game comes out for the switch. I'm not updating my ps4 for obvious reasons. ;)

Zazenora likes this.
  15. 306
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    I quit buying games for the PC for the time being, as my current one can barely run 3d graphics. Luckily I got a copy of it for PS3 last year for my birthday so I'm content.

pinky likes this.
  16. 12,264
    pinky

I own that game for the ps4. I dumped it, and did the keystone trick, so my save works with a fake pkg. ;) funny thing is that I only have like three hours in it, but I went and redid the game dump with the keystone trick anyway. :)

I did think about updating my ps4, since I don't even play it currently, and I'd like to play dq xi, but why update for one game? I know a lot of people did that with spiderman. I wouldn't though, no matter what the game was. there's no telling how long it'll be before a new exploit is found/released. however, I've been thinking for a long time that I wanted to go legit from now on. I mean I don't even test things anymore. maybe it's laziness or a lack of motivation, I'm not sure, but I'm worn out. :-/

17. 306
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    I feel you lol, I switch back & forth between all my exploited/modded systems to keep from feeling burnt out on any single one... try to lol.
    I'd rather not go legit for that very reason, not knowing when/if a new exploit will ever release for the newer firmware. I do get that you may also be limited on the PS4 due to firmware - game compatability though. In my opinion (and I know this may not be viable if strapped on cash), I'd rather keep the system exploited and try to just save up and get a used system to play newer games/online with.
    That's one reason the new OFW update for the PS3 hasn't really bothered me, considering I bought both my PS3's for $40 each, and all that was wrong with them were the BluRay lenses needing cleaned xD. My HAN exploited PS3's disc tray needs readjusted before it will work again though, but the legit console works perfect.

pinky likes this.
  18. 12,264
    pinky

I don't like having to keep up with overpriced tech for pc's. I certainly did something stupid here. I don't think it's worth upgrading since it would essentially mean replacing the whole pc when it's still under warranty. lol

I don't care too much about the switch hacking scene, since if I didn't go legit, I'd probably play no games. nintendo isn't play around when it comes to bans, and these are superbans meaning no system or game updates on top of eshop access and online playability. you're kinda in a position to where you're forced to pirate or not play the system at all if that happens. I don't want to be a part of that. I actually seriously considered updating for dq xi, but for one game??? I'm not doing that. I'll just hold out. :)

19. 306
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    Yeah, I understand why they want to protect their revenue, but still I think console bans are taking it too far.
    It also makes it risky to buy used consoles that could potentially already be console banned. In a way they're
    hurting potential customers that have probably never used mods/exploits by doing this. Even more so restricting access
    to updates :\ Online services such as the eShop or online multiplayer I fully understand, but what if a game gets released
    and has a critical bug that prevents someone from beating a game that they paid cash for?(Which does happen from time to time) Sounds like another corporate decision made by people stuck in their high towers..

pinky likes this.
  20. 12,264
    pinky

I've heard that they can now ban game carts too. that's a good way to eliminate the used market altogether.