Xbox One S Controller and Steam

Discussion in 'XBOX ONE' started by pinky, Oct 5, 2018.

1. 12,374
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I went back to the wii u pro controller. the xbone controller that I have seems to be worn (mostly the dpad). plus, the batteries don't seem to last anywhere near as long as a pro controller's on a single charge. I think I found the issue which seemed to be interference from the player slot (3). I've changed it to 1.

I've been tinkering with various emulators and quickplay, and I must've encountered every bug imaginable. magic engine -- for some reason autofire is only usable with player 1, maybe 2 as well, 'cause autofire wouldn't respond on player 3.

another is with project 64. the controller plugin from the latest version is extremely wonky, so I used the plugin from my emulator backup.

due to my gpu, I encountered some speed issues with snes9x and visual boy advance. I disabled vsync which seemed to work. now, I just need to fiddle with these settings and try dragon quest xi.

oh, speaking of steam, I had to redo the configuration with ys origin. the only way to do this is with its ini file, and you pretty much have to guess which button is paired to what. what I had was for the xbone controller which had messed up controls for the wii u pro controller. that must be recognized as a switch controller btw or the buttons won't function. I've made a disk image backup of all changes along with a smaller disk image of the hdd with all apps installed (not configured). I'm now copying a backup of that to a second hdd. :-p

Zazenora likes this.
  2. 262
    GregoryRasputin

GregoryRasputin PlayStationHAX PSX-Place Supporter

I have to say that i hate the 360 and Xbox One controllers on Windows 10, they keep disconnecting and really rags me off when i am playing Fallout 4.
    That being said, the original Xbox and the 360 pads are my favourite pads, i always found them suitable for my hands and found the PS3 control pad to small and uncomfortable.

Zazenora and pinky like this.
  3. 12,374
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

that's actually what was happening with my xbone controller. it would lose sync at random times.

I also feel the same way about the ps3 controller. that's why I prefer the pro controller since it's around the size of a 360 controller but with a better dpad.

4. 262
    GregoryRasputin

GregoryRasputin PlayStationHAX PSX-Place Supporter

I was using my 360 control pad and i thought it was dieing, so i bought a wireless adapter for my XB1 control pad and the same thing happened, this type of crap never happened with my 360 pad back on Windows 8 when i used to play Skyrim.

pinky likes this.
  5. 306
    Zazenora

Zazenora Member

Amateur Game Developer
    Home Page:
    I like my (smaller than normal) xbox 360 controller, it'd be better if it weren't wired. I've just always been more used to the playstation controller style. Not hating on either at all, in fact certain games such as Call of Duty games I perform a little better with xbox 360 controllers due to the analog stick layout.
    I think micro$oft put a little more thought into their stick placement when designing their controllers lol.
    Less thumb bending = less carpal tunnel:D

pinky likes this.
  6. 12,374
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I find the 360 controller much more comfortable than the ps3's, but I shiver at that dpad. it's like you roll it around from one side to the other. the adjustable dpad may actually be worse. you have to periodically rotate it like you would tires on a car or else it will develop these hairline cracks. I rarely use mine, and I've had to replace the dpad like three or four times.

I personally prefer the wii u pro controller. it's far better than the ps3/4's and xbox 360/xbone's. it can last over 60 hours on a single charge too. the switch pro controller kinda sucks. using the gyroscope is just awkward and clumsy in games like odyssey, so I prefer the joy cons. and, the dpad has some major problems that I'm not sure nintendo ever fixed. there's a method to use tape to get the dpad to work correctly. something that cheap fixing it? jesus, nintendo!