I went back to the wii u pro controller. the xbone controller that I have seems to be worn (mostly the dpad). plus, the batteries don't seem to last anywhere near as long as a pro controller's on a single charge. I think I found the issue which seemed to be interference from the player slot (3). I've changed it to 1. I've been tinkering with various emulators and quickplay, and I must've encountered every bug imaginable. magic engine -- for some reason autofire is only usable with player 1, maybe 2 as well, 'cause autofire wouldn't respond on player 3. another is with project 64. the controller plugin from the latest version is extremely wonky, so I used the plugin from my emulator backup. due to my gpu, I encountered some speed issues with snes9x and visual boy advance. I disabled vsync which seemed to work. now, I just need to fiddle with these settings and try dragon quest xi. oh, speaking of steam, I had to redo the configuration with ys origin. the only way to do this is with its ini file, and you pretty much have to guess which button is paired to what. what I had was for the xbone controller which had messed up controls for the wii u pro controller. that must be recognized as a switch controller btw or the buttons won't function. I've made a disk image backup of all changes along with a smaller disk image of the hdd with all apps installed (not configured). I'm now copying a backup of that to a second hdd.