Dismiss Notice

BEWARE of IMPOSTERS, posing as the PS3Xploit Members/Team:

-PS3Xploit does NOT have a discord channel, some imposter are using one

-If the info can't be found on ps3xploit.com or psx-place.com its fake

-ZuKuTo / OFWModz is one of the fake names of these imposter's are using to represent the PS3xploit team.

YLOD on console that is not over heating

Discussion in 'Ps3Xploit [Official Forum]' started by Incorruptable, Mar 11, 2019.

1. 135
    Incorruptable

Incorruptable Member

I have Fat PS3 that has 4.82 CFW Overflow installed, it is behaving strangely, sometimes but not very often it will shut down in middle of game, like a YLOD, it is not overheating as I have the fan controlled and holding the temperature at approx. 50’ to 55’ centigrade.

Sometimes from startup, I will turn it on, it will boot for 1 second, then YLOD with flashing red light, I press the on/off button red light goes steady, press it on again and console boots up and I can play it for hours no problem.

Is this a YLOD about to become permanent?

2. 921
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    YLOD its not a specific issue, but you are the lucky one, this kind of behaviour means the NEC/Tokin capacitors are on theyre way out, and you have two choices, either solder tantalum in parallel, or replace them with Tantalum caps.

I had this similar behaviour on my CECHC04 (60Gb), it would shutdown randomly, or would YLOD at boot, but ive swaped the board, and gave another C04 to a friend with the board that had the bad NECs.

One little test, to make sure its the NECs, its to get any intensive game (NFS Pro Street for example,as i used to test mine, if it shutsdown until the menu then its a NEC issue, PS1 FMVs will also work) ,but they are always responsible for the CELL/RSX power delivery, and if they fail, it cant hold the necessary voltage, thus leading to a failsafe shutdown, TOSHIBA laptops had a similar issue, and it only would boot if heated, PS3s are no different in that regard.

I would suggest you to solder tantalum caps, as quickly as possible, the longer you use the machine, the weaker the NECs get, to a point you will have to replace them completely, or your machine wont get passed the YLOD, and you will have to get them off the board,which its risky and a pain in the @rse.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  3. 135
    Incorruptable

Incorruptable Member

Thanks for this, i have a graveyard of three other now dead fat PS3's, i can harvest from them what i need if i need to.

I will need to do a little more research on the 'Tantalum caps' as it is the first time i have ever heard of them.