PS3 CECHA00 60gb PS3 Shuts off in only one game, YLOD style.

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by SeanRanklin, Sep 26, 2018.

1. 5
    JOJOBA

JOJOBA Forum Noob

Hi, I am having similar problem with my CECH-2006A. I am able to play GTA 5, Bioshock infinite, Bioshock, Bayonetta and black ops 2 with no issue, but it will auto shut off, beep 3 time and flashes red light when I tried to play red dead redemption, metal gear rising, binary domain, infamous 2 and RE6. It always shut off at the exact same spot in the games every time. All the games i used are PKG install.

It was not overheating as the temperature was at around 65 degree Celsius when it auto shut off. I do not think it was YLOD either as i did not see any yellow light at all.

I tried changing power supply and swapping hdd but it is no use.

2. 110
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

No, still having the issue, as my latest post on the issue was only 12 hours ago :P

You have this problem with a slim model? While this is strange, it’s actually a good thing for people experiencing this, because it means it’s not an issue isolated to the launch fats only, it must be an internal component or setting causing this.

The more awareness, the better chance we have of finally finding a solution after 12 years....

3. 110
    Vishera

Vishera Member

Try what was suggested in a few posts ago.
    The NEC TOKIN is most likely the culprit.

4. 452
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

I was about to reply the same answer.

Searching through the boards,ive notice that the 2000 Series board, more precisely the DYN-001, its still has NEC/TOKINs in it, while boards like the SUR-001 and upwards, get rid of the NECs and replace them with Tantalum Capacitors.

So many YLOD related issue, might actually not be the GPU (it can be too since its a 65nm chip), but the cause can be the NECs themselfs giving the issue.

5. 110
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

I would love to do that, but I don’t have the skill or knowledge to do that.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to who I would be able to contact in order to do such a repair for me?

6. 5
    JOJOBA

JOJOBA Forum Noob

Which multimeter do you recommend for measuring the NEC TOKIN? If the measurement is above 1500uf means the capacitor is fine?

7. 5
    JOJOBA

JOJOBA Forum Noob

My board is DYN-001.

So I will need 4 X 1000uf tantalum capacitor, 2 on each side of the motherboard?

8. 2,913
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I was thinking in making a wiki page for this, there are many interesting things that has been mentioned here in the forum but there is no info in wiki about it, and one of the things is a list of al motherboards to see which ones uses the tokins, and which type are, as far i saw there are 2 types http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Motherboard_Revisions
    Page 2 of the datasheet: https://file-databank.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/NEC-TOKIN-0E907-DATASHEET.pdf
    [​IMG]

In PS3:
    NEC/TOKIN 0E128 (old PS3 models) = 2.5V 1200uF
    NEC/TOKIN 0E108 (new PS3 models) = 2.5V 1000uF

Maybe there are more... the point is for every revision of the motherboard they was reducing power, so this change in the tokins probably matches with the changes in CELL/RSX
    Hmmm, im imagining a couple of tables in wiki that can be "recycled/merged" to have a better overview of all this

The most simple multimeters (very cheap, like 3€) cant meassure capacitance, you need one a bit better
    Not really, because as i mentioned before, every tokin have 2 capacitors internally (so 8 in total in the motherboard), but you should not think that all the 8 capacitors are damaged
    Most probably only one of them is damaged (or 2 as much, but never the 8 together), and the most stressed tokins are the ones connected to RSX... also RSX is stressing the "v out" of the tokin (not the "v in")
    So from the total of 8.... there are 2 that are the most probable culprits

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  9. 5
    JOJOBA

JOJOBA Forum Noob

ps3-.jpg
    I noticed something strange with these 2 capacitor. Is it damaged or something?

10. 2,913
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Visually is not posible to know if the components of that photo are damaged

The "liquid drops" is part of the green varnish and substances used in he solder alloys, and has been melted because this area overheats

The wide trace that goes to east (out of the photo) is a big power rail, probably is connected to PSU
    The "golden" component marked 3-L (and indicated with TH3280) is a thermistor
    A thermistor basically have 2 functions. Is a resistor + thermal sensor
    If the power rail have a shorcut it heats the thermistor, and it increases resistance, also the thermistor have a temperature point where it "breaks" the line
    So... a thermistor works as a "thermal regulated fuse", and is "rearmable" (when heat decreases it returns to normal working)

Something interesting (just for curiosity sake, doesnt matters)...there is a "melted" line going to north-east. I guess this is because there is a copper trace going in that direction in internal layers of the motherboard (not visible externally)

11. 215
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, Cypher Elite Gaming
    Your issue could be to the games being pkg install, something might have not been done correctly inside the pkg when it was created. Are these PSN pkg games? or did you create the pkg yourself to install them as I have all these games and never had a problem with any of them in folder backup format (Direct backups of the discs) on either of my Slims and they are both CECH 2003A models.

A couple of games did have an issue of playing then shutting down the PS3 or forcing it into safe mode at the same points but a simple removing of the game and then creating another backup of the disc sorted that problem out so my conclusion was that something was corrupted during the process of backing the game up onto the HDD. Could of been something on the disc, such as grease or dust not allowing the laser to read it correctly as cleaned the disc before backing it up again or something else not allowing the drive to read the disc correctly.

So in your case it could be how you downloaded or what you used to install the package, such as the usb device you used, or if you FTP from PC to PS3 could of corrupted a small amount of data. My thinking along these lines is that the games stop in exactly the same place meaning that piece of data could be corrupted.

How was it downloaded/created and installed on your PS3 Slim? This could provide the answer as to why this is happening as slims are more robust than launch models and can take some abusing.

12. 110
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

what about my situation? i can still play literally every other game i own except for tekken tag 2

13. 452
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Did you solder Tantalum caps on the NECs mate!? I still didnt solder it on mine, but i can try Tekken Tag 2 on my CECHC04, but it will shutdown or last about 30 mins, which will trigger a fail safe.

14. 215
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

I found an old post on a website about his problem that suggested that if your PS3 shuts down during game play of Tekken Tag 2 then enter Safe Mode (Recovery Menu) and first do a ' Restore File System ' then once done do a ' Rebuild Database '. This post is really old and don't know if it will still work.

Might be worth a shot if you haven't already tried this, just be sure to do them in that order.

EDIT: And it also mentioned that this problem was happening on the X-Box 360 version of the game as well so if this is true then how can it be the NEC's?? Its a totally different system.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  15. 110
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

AHA! Good point! Mind linking me on those posts? I think I may have tried this before but I’m unsure. Won’t hurt to give it another try. Will this mess up my save data or CFW install?

16. 110
    SeanRanklin

SeanRanklin Member

Ugh.. I don’t know how toooooo

Looking for any other remedies in the hopes I get lucky :) can you try tag and see if it shuts down

I have been playing uncharted for weeks now usually in 1-3 hour sessions. Fans can sometimes reach 45% on hot days which is insanely loud, but my temps refuse to go over 68 which is cool =D but tekken is still a no-go

17. 452
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Since my CECHC04 needs a NEC replacement with Tantalum, i can give an idea what its the situation is.

It refuses to start as the 1st attempt,so i have too keep trying till it powers on, after its on the shutdown its imminent, in PS2 mode takes about 20/30 min to shutdown with an YLOD, in PS1 Mode its YLOD straight away,maybe after a PS1 Boot, on the PS3 side depends on a game to game basis, if i try NFS Carbon it will hold,for 10 min maybe more,but NFS Pro street which its more demanding its am instant shutdown when a graphic part its loaded (ex main menu with the car), so thats how i tracked down being the NECs.

Toshiba laptops have a similar construction method with the NECs and after owning a A300 model for the past 8 years,it would shutdown in a similar style,but it would work if warm,but eventualy they will fail to death,even refusing to boot.

PS: Temps are in normal threshold: 50 or lower on both RSX/CELL, never reaching 60 at 33% fan speed

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

18. 15
    Fanhais

Fanhais Forum Noob

try u don't have nothing to lose your ps3 is dying so try to put some Tantalum i have one CECHCHJ04 and after tried playing playing GT6 not five minutes of playing shuts off so i've i searched for an solution and i saw in youtube Brazilians do the tantalum method,
    i have one slim ps3 is dead so I thought solder off some tantalum of ps3 slim and tried to solder in parallel with the nec on CECHCHJ04 solder 4 tantalum in the bottom part of motherboard. and For my surprise when i tried ran GT6 again and never shut off again.
    isn't a myth is true the tantalum can save your ps3

19. 452
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Member

Well in theory if i screw it up,ill have to shove another 200€ into a 60Gb,but soldering tantalums isnt something you can screw your board,its just positive and ground. After the procedure its done, it will stabilize itself. If i keep it this way,the NECs will eventuality fail to a point it will not even start.

All devices using NECs are prone to the exact same issue, not to mention that the CECH-2000 Series PS3 was the last one to use NECs,while in the 2100 they switched to tantalums, which improved reliability with the power delivery.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

20. 215
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Member

This is the post I found:

https://sagamer.co.za/forum/showthread.php?109888-Tekken-Tag-Tournament-2-problems-bugs-glitches

Its shouldn't mess with any saves and won't mess with the CFW install but might set few things back to default

I have 2 CECH2003A PS3 Slims, and no such issues with playing any games and they can receive some abusing in gaming and don't shut down and are 100% reliable. More reliable in fact than my CECH4003A

This is a totally different situation, your PS3 sometimes refuses to turn on straight away, indicating a more serious issue. @SeanRanklin only has the issue in ONE game and no other issues like you have stated with yours so by logic there is no connection with this problem and the other and as I stated many posts ago electrical would not be selective to one game and would persist in many over ways like yours is an electrical fault, while an issue with just one game is not. Everything I have read suggests a memory leak due to the way the game is coded and as this happens on the X-Box 360 version of Tekken Tag 2 it can't possibly the NEC's for just one game.

Memory leaks in games build up to the point where in most cases the game becomes unplayable ( BO1 has one with the main video title sequence, your disc will be fine but the game takes forever to load the intro video, crashes, or loads it but it lag's during watching it ) and will crash or shutdown your console as they are using way more memory than they should be to the point where your console has non left for other things and....instant shutdown or instant restart into safe mode... When this happens the cache is then cleared and the console would be back to normal...that is until you try to play the game again and then it would happen again, game play time for this fault is usually 20mins to 1hr max then shutdown or restart.

@SeanRanklin are you using the latest update for the game? I am not sure if they attempted to patch this fault or not with updates.