PS3 Cobra changes to add full burned optical media support

Discussion in 'Homebrew Development' started by deank, Jan 26, 2017.

1. 38
    W00fer

W00fer Member

It's quite weird, this whole thing should work with no matter what eboots you throw at it.

I'm trying with a new game in a few minutes.

deank likes this.
  2. 3,089
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

@deank advised to use "ORIGINAL" eboot to avoid all sorts of issues.

WTF-IGO and deank like this.
  3. 38
    W00fer

W00fer Member

Have one working now. Little Big Planet Karting.

The PS3 laser makes quite some noise though installing the game files. It moves back and forth a lot.

Do not know if that also happens on the pressed retail disc but I'm glad I have a working disc now.

4. 38
    W00fer

W00fer Member

5. 38
    W00fer

W00fer Member

I've got the second game now working - Need for Speed Most Wanted.

It's quite strange that the intro menu's and movie stutter while loading.

Maybe it's because that a BD-R is used instead of a pressed disc, maybe it's because of the files are on a different location than the game expects it to be.

The rest seems to work okay, although laser wear is maybe higher and the loading times seem to be (much) better from HDD/SSD.

6. 581
    deank

deank Developer

Yes, master/pressed discs use specific configuration for each game. Some files (like movies) may be located in the outer area of the disc for higher read speed, when using BD-50 there are requirements what can and cannot be on the second layer also if I remember correctly there should be no file split across the layers, etc etc.

rocknard, WTF-IGO and Sdw100 like this.
  7. 38
    W00fer

W00fer Member

8. 16
    borzas2010

borzas2010 Forum Noob

Im on rebug 4.81.2 with cobra 7.52 but when i insert a burned disc nothing happening! why? should i patch level2 or WTF should i do? on the disc i have PS3_GAME folder and PS3_DISC.SFB file.

9. 581
    deank

deank Developer

Read the thread.

WTF-IGO, kozarovv and DeViL303 like this.
  10. 16
    borzas2010

borzas2010 Forum Noob

i do and still have no clue what i did wrong i do exacty the same way like other said i use genps3iso2.0 and write games with imgburner not even a disc icon is show in ps3.

11. 16
    borzas2010

borzas2010 Forum Noob

Is somebody tried BURN GAMES with PS3 Generator tools? Sony made with this program the master discs! So maybe somebody can figure out how to make iso properly or just write discs without choppy movies play, because some game (UE3 games) play videos choppy.

12. 5,664
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Guys you can use dummy data to push files to the outer edge to prevent skipping and lag. I have also been able to pull the LABS from the disc to keep the original sort order to further replicate the Blu-ray disc as well using the old PC dump method. I dump with PC and simply obtain the eboot that's decrypted by the PS3. This has helped with all my stutters and shutters with my burned disc when using them on my Espresso firmware. Also if it fits on a smaller disc like say Minecraft fits on a CDR that is even better as the read times are faster due to no space being there.

bitsbubba, deank and WTF-IGO like this.
  13. 16
    borzas2010

borzas2010 Forum Noob

So all we need to create a 9 gb dummy file for a 12 gb game and the files and with this the game files gonna go to the outer zone? sorry a tutorial would be nice english is not my native language, i can barely understand, also im just a noob.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    WTF-IGO likes this.
  14. 4
    DB11574

DB11574 Forum Noob

I recently flashed to Rebug 4.81.2 and updated the cobra to 7.52 with the new toolbox. Yesterday I tried to burn MLB the show 16 to a Ritdata 25GB BD-R, when I put the disc in, it reconized as a game, tried to run it, it asked me to update the game, I always cancel since I don't go on PSN, It gave the epilepsy warning, then went to the sony presents screen, and stops...no error message, or even the PS button on t he controller has no effect. I ejected the disc and it went back to XMB with no error message. I think it has the original eboot, but I am not sure which version of genPS3ISO I used to make the image. I took the image off my 2TB WD Passport drive I use as my NTFS PS3 drive. I tried reinstalling the game data, it installed, but still gets stuck at the same spot when it reads the game data. I was going to try another game, but I don't really want to waste my time if it won't work.

Also does PS2 burned discs work now? the last time I tried a PS2 burned game it froze the system.

15. 4
    DB11574

DB11574 Forum Noob

Today I tried 2 different games; NHL Legacy and Madden 17. I took the JB folders from my fat32 drive, made the iso with genPS3ISO 2.0, burned them onto a verbatim DVD+DL 2.4X disc and they both worked fine. I tried these games since they don't need game data installed. I'm not sure if my NHL Legacy had a modified eboot, but I know my madden 17 does. It worked fine.

I'm thinking I will extract mlb the show and re-make the iso with genPS3ISO 2.0 since I now know none of my games on my ntfs drive were made with 2.0...2.0 is more simplified compared to what I used before.

WTF-IGO likes this.
  16. 16
    borzas2010

borzas2010 Forum Noob

Well after many tries, i can confirm every game works fine with the dummy method i only use BD single and BD double layer. Man so Much better than playing from stupid usb hdd, just put inside the disc and play... So sad they did this method only now when ps3 is dead.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    deank and WTF-IGO like this.
  17. 4
    DB11574

DB11574 Forum Noob

I believe I figured out why MLB the show 16 won't work. When I was extracting the iso, I noticed it has 4-5 wad files of the same name, so when I extracted it wanted to overwrite them. Anyone know how I can extract them so I can get the files as 1 file as they are supposed to be? no, they are not .001, .002..etc; they have the exact same name.

18. 4
    DB11574

DB11574 Forum Noob

ok, I figured it out. I took PS3 ISO Rebuilder and extracted the iso, then I used ps3tools (Makeps3iso) to make the iso again, burned it onto a ridata 4X BD-R (burned at 2X), and all works fine for mlb the show 16. I also burned star wars the force unleashed ultimate sith edition using genps3iso 2.0 instead of makeps3iso after extracting it with ps3 iso rebuilder. All works fine.

What good is this forum if no one replies?

did anyone test burned PS2 games yet? I don't want to try it because I don't want to take the chance of my system locking up. I would have to unplug it to reset it. so Do PS2 burned discs work????

19. 7,843
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

I have read your posts before & we all appreciate your reports as it's good to have confirmation that the new Cobra feature works fine.
    However, personally, I have absolutely no interest in burning media as I much prefer my system totally discless.
    As a result, I will not be participating much in this thread, sorry.

And to answer your question, afaik burned ps2 discs don't work on non BC consoles, only originals do. .

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    WTF-IGO likes this.
  20. 16
    borzas2010

borzas2010 Forum Noob

Dont use genps3iso use multiman ps3 system to make iso its better i tested... For PS2 if You have old ps3 40-60gb model that can play disc version.