PS3 Help - PS3 stuck in an update loop - error 8002f14e

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Blight_89, Feb 12, 2020.

1. 201
    ElGris

ElGris Member

Don't worry, you won't break something, you only need to lift the metal cover that's covering the mobo. You don't need to lift the mobo, only the cover, and you'll see something like this: https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/images/a/a8/DIA-001_Side-B.JPG

Up there is the serial number and the mobo's name. Read that and remove the daughter board of the BD drive to read its name too. Watch out with those connectors, some of them are fragil.

Yugonibblit likes this.
  2. 23
    Xenon218

Xenon218 Forum Noob

Exactly just to narrow down the problem so that the op knows for sure that it's not due to incomadibilty with the drives and that its mobo problem

3. 187
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

Are both stickers that show the model number gone? if i read correctly u only mention the one at the back and not on the bottom has been torn off. photos of the original BD drive will be enough anyways as thats all we are interested in atm. remove the logic board and it will show its own model number

unfortunately if u want to find the model number which we need on the mother board itself u will need to disassemble it in a way so thermal paste renewal will be a must. As soon as u take off the screws for the clamps u will break the original thermal pastes "seal" i guess u could call it so even if u put the clamps back on straight after it may not behave in the same way more than likely.

4. 14
    Blight_89

Blight_89 Forum Noob

omg xD I feel soooooooooo dumb right now... Never bothered to check the bottom, completely forgot there's a sticker there as well. This one wasn't torn so I finally know what model I'm dealing with. It is a CECHK03.

Took apart the BD to get to the logic board, here is a picture. This is the BD that came with the PS3 that's now in the loop, perhaps you guys can tell me if it's the one that normally comes with CECHK03, or if someone just swaped in a faulty one.

https://imgur.com/nx2Hv6Z

5. 14
    Blight_89

Blight_89 Forum Noob

Additionally, I took a look at the BD drives I tried swapping in:

The YLOD PS3 I have is CECHC03, has a BMD-001 board, exposed and easy for the world to see xD

The 2nd PS3 (which is the one that works), is a CECHG03, I haven't dismantled the BD drive but from the chart that one of you posted earlier I can tell it either has a BMD-002 or BMD-003.

So neither of them match with the BMD-011 that the looping PS3 has :/ I'm guessing that's why the update still failed...

6. 201
    ElGris

ElGris Member

Actually that's the correct BD drive model for your PS3 model, well one of the two options possible. See this chart: https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Bluray_Drive#Bluray_Drive_Revisions

it's either 006 or 011, you have a 011. Then your hardware is correct and that BD drive never was changed. What I tells me the problem is in the mobo, since your BD drive is alive. Did you clean every socket and contacts ribbon on the drive?

Yugonibblit likes this.
  7. 14
    Blight_89

Blight_89 Forum Noob

Just to be clear, by socket contacts ribbon you mean the ribbon cable? Cleaned it, tried swapping in cables from the other two drives (I'm guessing the ribbon cables are interchangable), nothing.

By socket you mean the slots where the ribbon cables go into? I haven't cleaned those... I could give it a go.

I've never dismantled a PS3 further than getting to the PSU and BD, I don't know how to change thermal paste, so I never wanted to temper with the pressure plates. I was just gonna have a friend who works in PC repair put the paste for me.

Yugonibblit likes this.
  8. 201
    ElGris

ElGris Member

Yeap, sorry if I use another terms, I'm not a native english speaker :D

Everything have to be clean, and don't worry about the thermal paste for now, the PS3 won't do much about it being in a loop. Also, let your friend see if the mobo is ok too. It's a strange problem though, just in case, make sure the wifi/BT module is well connected to the main board. You have to put the ribbon cable to the end.

Yugonibblit likes this.
  9. 187
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

hmm im not really convinced its motherboard yet but unfortunately since u cant test and know for sure the other logic boards are in fact working, ur best bet would just be to find a replacement thats the same revision as the original and re-marry it.

putting the mechanical side of it as side for the moment, when the original logic board is back in, try load any apps, even try load into the ps store, generally if u have a bad logic board apps will fail to load and will go to a blank or black screen.

10. 14
    Blight_89

Blight_89 Forum Noob

I do have one other PS3, which is actually the same model as this one (just a different region), CECHK04, but that particular one is a collector's piece, in pristine condition, never been opened, and I left it on OFW, just to keep it as ''pure'' as possible. i don't even use it, just felt nice to own a near-mint one.

I would be kinda reluctant to open it, but I guess sooner or later I'd have to, since the original thermal paste is probably drier than the Sahara.

Just tell me one thing, if I understood correctly, in order for this infernal update loop to end, I have to have the same BD drive with the same type of logic board, in this case BMD-011. So if I hypothetically took the BD drive (along with its logic board) from the mint PS3 and put it in this looped one, it would work?

What if the mint PS3 has a BMD-006 logic board? Then it would fail again? Since from that chart it says a CECHK can have either BMD-006 or BMD-011...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  11. 23
    Xenon218

Xenon218 Forum Noob

If you are still having problems identifying the daughter board of the orginal dead blu ray drive, find a serial number which is written in the back of the drive, use the lin
    You are really out of luck on this one unfortunately, all PS3 models from CECHH to CECHK(depending on when and where the CECHK has been released) have the same BD-410 drives that all have the same logic board even though the model number and name of the logic board is different, they are essentially the same in terms of connectors that the update checks, so usually a CECHH's drive and its logic board would work on a CECHJ model for an example, however the BMD-011 has a different controller that regulates power and other things, so that's most likely why you are getting an error even though you swapped in a BD-410 drive, that is the only thing that is different between a BMD-006 and a BMD-011 logic board. Just for reference when you put a working drive in your looped PS3, do you see the blue light and do you hear sounds out of your drive? These two factors indicate that your drive is making contact with the mobo and is getting power from the 5V power rail. What i strongly recommend you to do is, to swap around the logic board from your dead drive to that working one, the on that had the metal cover over the logic board, if you have a working BD-410 drive (look at the chart again if you get confused), swap the logic board from your dead drive to that working one ( agian if you have a working one), if your original logic board still works and the only problem in your dead drive was a dead laser assembly or a dead laser, you should get pass the update no problem. If your logic board is faulty how ever the only way you can get out of that loop without a HF is to find the exact same drive that has that logic board model. Look online for people who own a repair shop or who flip PS3's and ask them if they have spare blu ray drives and then ask them if they have the EXACT same drive that has that exact same logic board, or find a faulty donor PS3, that has a working BD and is the exact same model. This unfortunetely isn't that easy as the differnce in drives of the CECHK model is usually region or realese date based.

12. 23
    Xenon218

Xenon218 Forum Noob

Again, try swapping the logic board of your dead drive with a working drive which is a BD-410 model.

13. 14
    Blight_89

Blight_89 Forum Noob

Welp, here goes... I opened up the mint CECHK04 PS3, to grab the BD. Glad I did cuz the thing was so choked up with dust, massive dust bunnies hopping about (I also had to go buy a torque 10 screwdriver for that dang plastic holding screw). At the time of writing this I'm waiting for the HDD to format again, so I can give it one more shot with this BD (that I know 100% works and is from the same model).

I didn't open up the BD to check the logic board type, figured it's either gonna work or it isn't, and there's no downfall to trying. Fingers crossed T_T Hopefully this one is also BMD-011.

Also had to grab the OFW 4.85 again, because the last loop had HFW 4.85 installing, and I figured it's better to start off with OFW before HWF is installed.

Will give an update once the ordeal is over.

Thank you all soooo much for all the info, I learned a lot.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Yugonibblit likes this.
  14. 14
    Blight_89

Blight_89 Forum Noob

And... nope :/ It fails yet again... Welp I'm out of PS3s and BDs to swap in T_T I really had high hopes this last one would work but... it seems like the logic board is different, even though they're both CECHK models....

I'm out of ideas, at this point I can only try to find someone with a hardware flasher to roll back the PS3 to 3.55

I doubt I'll ever find the exact working BD with the right logic board, and it's not really worth the chase

15. 23
    Xenon218

Xenon218 Forum Noob

Have you tried swapping the logic board of your faulty BD drive to a working one? If the logic board of your original drive is working this might help you get pass the update. You can find someone who deals in PS3 parts taht might help you out or find the same region CECHK model, this all depends where you are from though, where i am from PS3's still hold the price and many people flip these professionaly so it's not really hard to find spares, you can try swapping parts of that dead drive with your intact one see if that gets it to work...

16. 14
    Blight_89

Blight_89 Forum Noob

At this point I'm pretty sure the logic board is dead, when I first booted up the console, while it was still able to get to the XMB, i left it running for an hour to test if it would overheat or something, it didn't. But when I tried a demo that was installed I got a black screen. I figured it was the demo, and not something else (because I had never encountered this issue).

After that I did the update and... loop

If it means anything, the BD that was originally in would take in discs, the blue light would shine, but the disc wouldn't appear at all, as if I hadn't put it in (it didn't show up in the XMB)

And all 3 BDs that I swapped in to try and fix this (CECHG, CECHC and CECHK), worked in the sense they would take in and eject discs and the blue light would light up (but at this point this was in the update loop screen).

I haven't opened up the BD drive of the near-mint CECHK, but I'm pretty sure it would be a BMD-006.

I haven't swapped around any logic boards, would that even help? Since it seems I only have the one BMD-011 (and that one is dead)

The only other idea I have left is to format the HDD (for the 50th time), get to the part where it asks you to agree to installing firmware, but then go into safe mode and try a system restore. Perhaps that would maybe get me to the XMB (I doubt it though)

17. 201
    ElGris

ElGris Member

"If it means anything, the BD that was originally in would take in discs, the blue light would shine, but the disc wouldn't appear at all, as if I hadn't put it in (it didn't show up in the XMB)"

Then the BD drive is alive, not dead. A dead drive doesn't do anything.

I can recommend you two things right now:

1) If the FW of the mint K is lower than the K with the loop problem, then update to the mint K's FW version to the version of the K with the loop. Then you can swap the HDD to see if you can access the PS3 with the loop without need of an update. I know people did this many times, and since both models are the same, and are NOR, this is a possibility.

2) While doing that (updating the mint K to match versions) use the BD drive of the K with the loop. Then you're gonna know if the drive has any problems or not. If it goes in a loop, then put the original BD drive of the mint K and that's the end.

P/S: If the mint K FW version is higher than the K with the loop, you can still make a downgrade.

18. 14
    Blight_89

Blight_89 Forum Noob

The mint one is 4.85 OFW, the looped one was 4.84 when it went into the loop :/

19. 6,791
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Incase someone knows, please post your answers here to dont disturb this thread created by Blight_89
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/freezing-but-its-not-cold-outside.28235/

20. 10
    HeyHowAreYa

HeyHowAreYa Forum Noob

Much appreciated good sir. I didn't mean to post on here about something completely different from the topic. This was the only forum that had recent activity that I saw. Doesn't hurt to ask.
    Cheers

sandungas likes this.