Ps3 runs 720p only

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Abdallah Taha, Jun 17, 2019.

1. 172
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

IPS glow and Back light bleed are two different things. VA monitor without BLB, that's impossible. BLB bleed is there in ALL LEDs including VAs (except OLED which don't have back light). IPS glow is different issue. Its yellowish illumination which is different than BLB.

BLB should ideally be expected primarily near the edges of panel. If your BLBs even in the center of panel, than that's too much of BLB. BLB is random.

2. 1,078
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

[​IMG]

this is blacklight bleed (or,lack of any whatsoever as you can see) on that cheap monitor that i've brought for my nephew.i think pictures tell more that i ever could.and that's sub 200 dollar monitor.

personally i've never ever seen other than some really minor clouding on cheap samsung TV's with early VA panels.

3. 1,150
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Correct that with "Upscaled 720p", majority of the PS3 titles run at Sub-HD Resolutions,then its upscaled to the closest algorithm possible,which its 720p most of the times,but its not Native 720p, few exceptions are remasters,and Gran Turismo which runs at a native 720p/1080p "for the 5 & 6", Okami HD runs at 3840x2160p Natively,but since the PlayStation3 doesnt have support for 4K output,it downsizes the output to 1080p.

amirzaim likes this.
  4. 515
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

Wow...Okami HD was just ahead of its time...4K display during pre-PS4 era. While PS3 have a few numbers of games that could run in full HD, there are some games which provides graphic options whether setting the FPS unlocked like Bioshock series or screen quality settings like in GT5/6.

Right now, I'm playing Bioshock 2 on PS3 due to its PS4 remaster version just keep crashing all the time.

5. 172
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Pictures you are posting don't tell the exact viewing experience of monitor. I have to see the monitor in front of my eyes to make any judgement. Also blacklight bleed is just one of the measure points of LED panels. Picture quality, colors, sharpness, design, mounting stability etc are other critical points. We had (my cousin who had a cyber cafe) a Samsung VA monitor and it sucked in terms of sharpness. Whereas we had ACER monitor which was far better in terms of sharpness and picture quality and it was cheaper than Samsung (Both were around $120). Samsung monitor also had a weird mounting stand that use to shake while ceiling fan was running.

All these things, i can only comment on Budget LED monitors. I have never used $200+ monitor and there are a lot of good options in mid range segment.

For anyone buying LED TV or monitor. My advice is checking it thoroughly before buying. Some people just like to order stuff on internet. That doesn't work on LED panels. I was pretty impressed by one computer retailer in my city. He has like 50 different LED panels on display and all powered on. You can check picture quality first hand. That's the kind of place buyer should be visiting. Same thing with LED TVs.

6. 1,078
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

they tell everything on flaws and strengths of both of technologies in a field i was referencing to.so,if you have similar examples in your experience and knowledge gained with only budget LED monitors why should everybody even people that value blacks and want as little backlight bleed as possible should get IPS panel,and if you can substantiate your claims with any kind of proof (i'll take even worse pics than i've posted) i would gladly hear.

7. 172
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

You didn't read my posts. I have already said that IPS is good option for Budget segment and for newbies who aren't much familiar with LEDs. There are a lot of other options in high end and mid range segments. If you have money, you can buy OLED. You will be happy with quality. In my experience, IPS monitor scores well in quality in budget. You talk about Backlight bleed. How do you know that other person's main concern is backlight bleed only? As i said, i have seen Samsung VA Panel which has poor picture quality and sharpness.

And picture quality is not something you can measure by screenshots only. It has to be experienced personally by direct inspection. Funny how some people wanna buy LED panels by seeing online pics of picture quality.

8. 96
    remlei

remlei Member

while my monitor supports upto 1440p, my ps3 is either always falling back to 1080p or 720p, depending on the game, its labeled anyway on the game case, most of the games runs on 720p, all out of my ps3 games there are only 2 games that I know that can run on 1080p which is Final Fantasy 13 and Grand Turismo 6 everything else only supports 720p or lower.

9. 1,078
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

that was your direct unprovoked response and counterclaim on my post.so,please substantiate your claims if you want this discussion to go any further.

10. 172
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Happy to. Take a flight and come to my home. I will place my Dell, Samsung and Acer monitor side by side and you can decide for yourself. lol

Easy buddy. Why you taking a simple talk as provocation? I am telling you my experience, not issuing a challenge.

My main point. If you are unfamiliar with monitors, just consider IPS panels as you will be guaranteed good viewing angles and colors at least. Issue of BLB is there undoubtedly. But as i say more important thing is actual inspection of panel. So inspect the LED panel. If you are not too concerned about BLB, you can buy a good IPS.

And if you have money to buy high end LED, then my advice is trivial anyway. You can buy OLED or any high end stuff. You don't have to worry about quality if you don't worry about your budget.

11. 1,078
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

you first reacted with direct unprovoked counterclaims on my post which you've quoted,and i've asked nicely multiple times to substantiate them which you can't or you won't do.

first you've said that all LED panels have same problems,when refuted then you've switched on to 'budget' models and again when refuted you've switched on 'panel inspection','viewing experience' etc.

i don't want to go any further into off topic so until and if you can back up any of your writing please refrain yourself on quoting my posts and making unsubstantiated counterclaims.

12. 172
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Substantiate that VA panels have better picture quality that IPS. Substantiate that VA has better sharpness than IPS. Substantiate that VA has lesser BLB than IPS. You want me to substantiate things? Lets play it your way buddy. You yourself haven't "substantiated" anything except posting some picture which means nothing.

A lot of things i said, were my viewing experience (as i have repeatedly mentioned). You cannot substantiate personal experience and opinion. Its not math 2+2=4.

Anybody with a llittle knowledge about LEDs knows that there are positives and negatives about technologies. There are positives and negatives of IPS, TN, VA, OLED etc etc.

IPS has better viewing angles and colors (in general) but not so good blacks. TN has worst viewing angles and colors and worst blacks but have very low response time (good for certain gaming). VAs are somewhere in between. They have better blacks but marginally lower viewing angles than IPS. Issue of BLB is there in all LEDs. You think OLEDs are perfect. Well here is a negative for OLED, they cost a fortune and not everybody can afford it.

There is no hard and fast rule of judging viewing experience on LED panels. I can give you ten articles how IPS is bad or how VA is bad or how they are good and vice versa.

Everything comes down to your personal opinion. As i have already said. just inspect a LED before buying and make your own decision. If you like IPS panel. good. If you like VA. Its good. Its your choice.

13. 1,150
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    OLED, costs a fortune, suffers from Burn-In, usualy have lover brightness levels (it doesnt have a backlit panel of course/logic) and like anything organic deteriorates with use and time.

14. 1,150
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    OLED, costs a fortune, suffers from Burn-In, usualy have lower brightness levels (it doesnt have a backlit panel of course/logic) and like anything organic deteriorates with use and time.

15. 1,078
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

@snkplkn

what you wrote now is literally my initial post that you've quoted and reacted with IPS not having problems and then faced with hard facts and proofs you now just say that don't mean anything and keep circling back with my own post.

yes,it does,and those pictures clearly demonstrate superiority of VA panels with both panel uniformity,backlight bleed and again,first picture is picture of latest DELL ultrasharp precalibrated IPS monitor that's 500+ dollars and second one is AOC sub 200 dollar monitor that's been out couple of years.i've intentionally not said from where those pics were because i've asked multiple times to back up your claims.those pics are from rtings and tft central,professional unaffiliated sites,best ones there is when it comes to this matter.you can just go to the sites with right click on the pics if you don't trust me.

again,you direct quote me without answering any question,and you don't back any of your writing.to add insult on injury now you discuss with me with my own post.so,either back up any of previous claims or back off.

i'm on my second OLED now (first one i've sold not because i had any problems with it rather because i was upgrading to a bigger one that i currently own).not a slightest sign of a burn in and i'm not that careful even.also,it has seen fairly regular use and not a slightest of a sign of any deterioration,it's like it was first plugged in.

both of them were fine with brightness even in daylight although i do agree that IPS would fare much better in a brightly lit room but again,i personally don't play or watch anything that i care about on how it looks in daytime.

in conclusion,i would never go back to any kind of older technology and i would only replace current one with bigger and better one.also,i don't regret not a single penny spent on them,it has been worth it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  16. 172
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Dig my posts buddy. I have already stated the fact about BLB in IPS panels in some other thread in the past. So you have a short attention span. And now you are putting words in my mouth. I never said that IPS panels don't have ANY problems. never.

Here i am reproducing my post from last month. I don't need to circle over your post buddy. I have my own opinions. And you have a short memory.

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/game-resolution.24420/page-2#post-183590

17. 1,078
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

i don't have short memory,i don't care and wasn't quoting you or responding to you.you've quoted and responded to me,and i've already rebuffed your counterclaims and quoted again your rebuffed counterclaims with substantiated proofs.

if you have your own opinion then sure you can substantiate any of your claims and/or stop inserting yourself with someone else's posts.

18. 348
    Md Hesam

Md Hesam Member

Home Page:
    Does all ps3 game work on 1280x768 resolution