PS2 Open PS2 Loader v0.9.3 2016-09-29

Various OPL 0.9.3 versions without GSM -OPL Development Team (c. Ifcaro & jimmikaelkael)

1. 96
    uyjulian

uyjulian Developer

It would be nice to have per game OSD settings. Not sure if I'll do it myself, since I'm busy with other things.

2. 853
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

You mean, if you choose German language in PS2 settings,
    the same language will be set as default in OPL and in games that support that language?

3. 7,193
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I think that he mean games that select language basing on PatchIsNeeded or SceScfGetLanguage functions. So games that select language automatically basing on bios settings. Not implementing new language in to game.

About writing patcher for OPL, shouldn't be so hard. Basically is search for hex pattern, and patch it with own opcode.

4. 853
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

[​IMG]
    You mean patcher embedded in OPL?
    It can takes some time to patch it, some devices are might be too slow for that (e.g. USB).
    Even saving some text in .txt (wLe) can take some time for PS2.

Also some graphic text will not be replaced by that method.

5. 7,193
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    OPL already doing something similar for some games (ee_core/src/patches.c), patching one opcode is instant.
    Anyway this can be done by patching iso, or patching EE memory. So RAW codes, or even codebreaker, etc. can be used instead.

6. 634
    TnA

TnA Member

Well... It was meant to be small and DOS-like. It was basically intended to rip a lot of uLE's code and just to be realized in a fast way... Let's say, some functions are for 'advanced users (only)'!

Anyone is free to create a more sophisticated configurator or one for PC! ;)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  7. 853
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Memory in PS2 is very limited, that is why some games might not work through SMB.
    Patches for games are "simple*", e.g.:
    https://github.com/ifcaro/Open-PS2-Loader/commit/c63bcaf6d5c3fd0aa24974d131382bc5af2cf9ba.

* - I mean translations takes much more space and probably a memory.

8. 7,193
    kozarovv

kozarovv Super Moderator

Home Page:
    TnA likes this.
  9. 853
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

[​IMG]
    If game have got few Languages, it can be selected almost at boot.
    I don't know how many games will support it, it is not a PS3.
    But it maybe worth a shoot, since recently PS2 section has been so "calm" in development.

10. 387
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

No, the goal would be to incorporate the Ps2 Language selection in OPL (likewise the 16:9 function, already present in OPL that override the Ps2 setting).

This way you'll be able to play those PAL-multi5/6 games that use the Ps2 Language configuration, in every of their languages, even on Jap or Usa Ps2 (you're normally limited to jap and eng languages on a jap Ps2, even if your game has i.e. french and italian, it will start in english.)

We already talked about it with @sp193 time ago, he said that is a feasible modification.

P.S. I didn't noticed there was other posts after that

sandungas, TnA and ted209 like this.
  11. 139
    Krah

Krah Developer

I would like to open up discussion about Maximus32s fade transition in OPL. I have spoken to him and he has given permission for the code to be used in whatever way, whether it be submitted as is or made into an option.

What are people's thoughts on this? Does anyone even care?

My personal opinion, I know of no other software let alone game loader where you have a choice of what the transition is, it is simply hardcoded to be one way.

I think it should be the fade transition as it fixes graphic glitches in HiRes which would mean the transition works for every video mode...Which it really should. Also personal preference is that is looks nicer.

@El_Patas @TnA @sp193 @jolek

uyjulian, sandungas, svotib and 2 others like this.
  12. 634
    TnA

TnA Member

I DEFINITELY vote FOR it/an implementation!!! That's gonna be great to avoid glitches in HiRes-Themes.

I opt for it being an option in the theme-config however, so if people want to use the old transition in/with their theme, they could...
    It's just as easy to implement, like if it is hard-coded! It solely needs to additionally check for a theme-config-entry and switch to either of both transitions (or even more, if there were more).

There maybe are none currently on the PS2 which support a configurable transition, but there are on other consoles.

I also opt for various options of transitions like:
    • 'None'/0
    • 'Fade'/1
    • 'MoveUp'/2 (currently seen, when the Info-Page is exited)
    • 'MoveRight'/3 (currently seen, when the Settings-Page is called)
    • 'MoveDown'/4 (currently seen, when the Info-Page is called)
    • 'MoveLeft'/5 (currently seen, when the Settings-Page is exited)
    • etc.
    So a config-entry 'Transition' or similar could be checked for either a numerical value or a string and then use the according function in that case.

If the entry isn't found, it could then default to either 0 or 1. If it would default to either of the first 2, it would probably even fix most currently glitching themes, without the need for changing/fixing the theme!

So IMO,... (tl;dr)
    YES FOR AN IMPLEMENTATION OF THE FADE-TRANSITION, BUT I ALSO VOTE FOR IT BEING CONFIGURABLE VIA AN ENTRY IN THE THEME'S CONFIG!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Krah likes this.
  13. 139
    Krah

Krah Developer

While it may seem as easy to implement as hard coded, it simply isn't.. due to the code. From memory, in its current form it requires dropping arguments and possibly even whole functions.. but the real question is, does the user really need that option?

Have you ever loaded up your og xbox w/ xbmc hit start and thought...that transition sucks I wish it were different. I don't think the common user really cares about the transition so long as it doesn't cause any kind of graphical artifacts on the screen which the current slide does (in HiRes anyway).

I do appreciate your input though, I think our opinions just differ.

I'll link Maximus32s commit anyway so you can see what I mean....and as I go to look for it gitlab appears to be having issues :-p ... I'll post a link later.

14. 634
    TnA

TnA Member

Well then... 'almost as'?

Well, I think it would work to have parallel options for transitions.
    Switch/Case possibly?

What do you mean?

Not the user... The theme-creator(s)!
    I don't think having too many options - for the 'normal end-user' to play around with - is necessary or a good idea. It should be the theme-creators responsibility to take care of the user-experience of his theme + if someone doesn't care, it would still default to the hard-coded 'default' (i.e.' Fade')! Thus it would remove glitches on almost all old themes THX to the hard-coded default (even without modifications) AND theme-creators would have a lot more flexibility.
    It's just that theme-creators could create a quite unique user-experience for their theme and if they don't care about it, it would default to one of those transitions, which shouldn't glitch anyway (none and fade) in a lot/most cases! :)

Which transition? Lol
    I don't remember it currently, sry.

I agree, which is why I suggest a theme-config-entry with a default, which is either 'None'/0 or 'Fade'/1, because this would be sufficient for these things:
    • It would fix most/a lot of glitching themes in Hires-Modes and even Hires-Art (because of defaulting to a less glitching mode, if the entry is not present)!
    • It would allow theme-creators to create quite individual user-experiences (different transitions for various 'tasks' /page-changes)!
    • It would be a base to extend up on, if someone wants to add other transitions (like 'Blend_in', 'Blend_out')
    • etc.
    True, which is why I suggest (or agree to your suggestions) defaulting to a hard-coded way, but (IMO it would be great to) still have the ability to load another type of transition via a theme-config.

I think they are actually quite similar!
    I agree for your hard-coded part (the 'default') + think a theme-config-entry to override the default would be nice for theme-developers (as an addition).

THX, but does that change anything for it possibly being 'switchable'?
    The choise of the transition is ahead of the executed code of/for the transition, so it is just a matter of calling the chosen transition, after the right one has been determined.

As for the theme-config-entry's structure:
    I think something like...

'Transition_settings=In|Out'
    'Transition_infopage=In|Out'

...or separate entries for 'in' and 'out' would be working out (in code, for theme-creators and end-users)!

(tl;dr)
    I tooootally agree to an implementation of the fade-transition and defaulting to it (or 'None'), especially to make old themes more Hires-compatible (Art and VMode) in newer OPL-Versions, without changing/modifying the old theme.

I agree to that, because it makes the whole Hires-Feature more reliable especially because theme-creation compatible to Hires-Modes becomes a bit easier and it raises compatibility of old themes to new OPL-Versions and it's HiRes-Modes!

An additional theme-config-entry is giving additional flexibility to theme-creators however.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  15. 634
    TnA

TnA Member

Regarding language-selection (which the 'powerful alternative to FMCB' has promised):

I talked about something similar - quite a while ago - for FMCB. A 'configurable System-Init', where you can override the NVRAM-Settings via entries in the FMCB-Config like the value which determines if a console is Japanese or International.

While I still think it is technically a rather system-related function, I tend to agree that it is probably better to implement it in a way into OPL for these reasons:
    • Most Homebrew-Apps don't really care about it.
    • The people might want to configure different settings depending on the game.
    • etc.

Peppe90 and ted209 like this.
  16. 59
    Vedita BR

Vedita BR Member

---
    Home Page:
  17. 853
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Is there a chance to once again add [email protected] at GSM for games,
    import
    EDTV 704x480p @60Hz 24bit (HIRES),
    EDTV 704x576p @50Hz 24bit (HIRES)
    from display setting also in per game GSM?

BTW Does [email protected] not interlaced works?

18. 46
    Agrippa

Agrippa Forum Noob

Those EDTV resolutions are frame buffer resolutions. The GSM sets up just a video output mode, the game internal resolution is intact.

19. 853
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
Tags: