PS3 [RESEARCH] Downloading all unknown file types to HDD and Flash

Discussion in 'Homebrew Development' started by DeViL303, Apr 7, 2019.

1. 166
    NewFile

NewFile Developer

I finally found a debug mode for the webrowser!

2. 166
    NewFile

NewFile Developer

3. 14
    Kazama

Kazama Forum Noob

is it useful ?

4. 14
    Kazama

Kazama Forum Noob

Can't we download 4GB+ games ?? Is there any way to download 4GB+ pkg files (not package linker)

5. 5,608
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Home Page:
    If you mean on OFW/HFW, then not that I know of. PKG Linker aka the net_package_install method is the only decent way as of now for 4GB+ packages. Renaming pkgs to other file types might work too, but its not very user friendly really, less user friendly than PKG Linker anyway as it involves either renaming files or moving them after download.

citra mulia likes this.
  6. 457
    lmn7

lmn7 Developer

Cool, wish it worked in webkit though :(

You can if you use the method in the above quoted post, then just rename the file afterwards (you can use sys_fs_rename syscall). But this isn't really a practical method tbh, I'd rather find something more solid. I didn't realize dev_flash2 is only 16mb.

If we figured out the proper parameters for download_plugin, this could all be done automatically in a neat way.

You can just edit one of the mount scripts like you did before, except mount hdd0 as hdd1. I don't see the point though, it doesn't work.

Thanks for the info, didn't know that. It's probably possible to mod some games this way then, by mounting hdd1 before starting it. Cool.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 12:13 AM
    DeViL303 and Niander466 like this.
  7. 27
    DigitalMorpheus

DigitalMorpheus Forum Noob

We can use a proxy that turns https into http

DeViL303 likes this.
  8. 5,608
    DeViL303

Home Page:
    Interesting idea, Can you link to some more info on this or explain some more, I have not heard of this done before to avoid https sites. I guess you mean a local proxy running on the LAN that downloads the website and then serves it as http, That is fine but not very user friendly compared to going to a website. Also what about all the package links? would the proxy not have to download the packages too and serve them on http or can it convert on the fly?

Even if we do not need to download the packages to local proxy first, I expect that brewology gets a tonne of traffic in the terabytes per month, so not sure if any free proxy would be be able to handle that.

9. 27
    DigitalMorpheus

DigitalMorpheus Forum Noob

We can host the proxy. The proxy is a http server and a http/https client. Example:
    PS3 -> proxy.example/destinywebsite.com/......
    * Proxy makes same request to the destiny website *
    Proxy -> PS3 *Sends data back*
    This is easily implemented on NodeJS.
    The user does not have to run a local proxy.
    The cool thing about this is that this can be used has an authentication system, etc...
    This tecnique is called XMB Remote Interaction Technique and was made by @ZenJB in the beggining of 2018. Due to some reasons he has not released. It enables XMB to make requests to a Web Server.
    The private demo @ZenJB showed me is that we could make a counter to 3 using only XMB. Also, he demoed a login system where I could login to a Web Server running special software and download a pkg based on user preferences.
    Another good use of this technique is to make an XMB Mod (for example HAN Toolbox) to detect user language and send the pkg in it's language.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 9:41 AM
  10. 5,608
    DeViL303

Home Page:
    Cool, sounds good.

@everyone nice little mod here that causes the PS3 to automatically create the PS3/UPDATE folder when you download a PUP to USB. Simple but still handy. :)

upload_2019-4-17_0-35-5.png

11. 2,704
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

Very nice! You have a surprise every day :)

DeViL303, Niander466, Lambada and 2 others like this.
  12. 5,608
    DeViL303

Home Page:
    Normally that is only a PS+ option with the sb2 files by the looks of it, as it looks to this section in the download_list.xml: "<View id="download_psp_plus">" , that normally has an extra path to a card reader too "seg_msac_us40_device" . But i have added all paths to all sections so it makes no difference now.

One "bug" with this, it will create the folders even if you select a sub folder from device list, so if you choose dev_usb000/packages/ instead of the root of USB when downloading a PUP, then you will end up with dev_usb000/packages/PS3/UPDATE/*.PUP

This mod could be used to create a packages folder too, or even in conjunction with the PUP folder creation mod, as we have another one of these special file types that creates a folder for itself, thats a ptf file, a PSP theme. This one that creates PSP/THEME/ folder.

Also could be used to create a updater/01 folder on dev_hdd0.

This folder creation also works to dev_hdd1 and to dev_hdd0, but on dev_hdd0 it still deletes the file, the folders remain still which might be useful somehow.

Niander466 likes this.
  13. 2,704
    aldostools

I wonder what happens if instead of PS3/UPDATE, you change the folder to ../dev_hdd0 or ../dev_hdd0/packages

Algol and Niander466 like this.
  14. 5,608
    DeViL303

Home Page:
    I can do that, I can have dev_hdd0/packages/ automatically created for packages, I can have dev_hdd0/updater/01/ created for PUPs.. even both mods can be active at the same time.

They work but to use the root of dev_hdd0 like this, I need patch out the "tmp/downloader" path from the sprx first, Not a big deal though and this should be one of the definite patches to download_plugin going forward. If I dont patch that out, anything downloaded to the root of dev_hdd0/ will go into tmp/downloader/, including any folders that file type automatically creates.

The folder creation is all down to the special extensions, So its no bother to replace sb2 and ptf with other file types and have then create other folders.

Its just the file deletion bug is still there all the time unless I download the file to USB, hdd1 or flash. If we can solve that we are sorted.

BTW I had another look at the file/data copy plugins, no file extensions in those. I think this could be handled by one of the mms sprx's or something else. Those have tonnes of file extensions in them, just hard to know which ones are doing what.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 6:00 AM
    aldostools likes this.
  15. 5,608
    DeViL303

Home Page:
    mms.sprx probably has some nice potential for modding if it is used. It contains lots of interesting paths, filetypes etc.

I think there might be a mod there with PSP interaction, as they commented out stuff "removed on day 1" and "insecure" etc, and there is still lots of stuff dedicated to PSP in the FW.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 8:09 AM
  16. 5,608
    DeViL303

Home Page:
    Funny thing I just noticed, if you cancel the download to dev_hdd0 when its partially done, the file does not get deleted. If you could time it right, and cancel at last second it would probably work. :)

Another interesting thing, if I use a path like this /dev_hdd0/../dev_usb000 , I get background downloading option to usb000, and then i get the deletion issue on USB too. :) Background downloading does not work, but the option is there.

Doing it the other way around, dev_usb000/../dev_hdd0 does not help. File still gets deleted.

I can also patch out this entry:
    upload_2019-4-17_14-55-40.png

Then I get no background download option to dev_hdd0 at all. Unfortunately it does not fix the deletion issue.

Getting closer though, learning more every day. I suspect that if we could mount dev_hdd0 as something else it would just work.

Niander466 and aldostools like this.
  17. 2,704
    aldostools

@DeViL303 Have you tried replacing some of the existing mime types with "application/octet-stream" ?

Niander466 likes this.
  18. 5,608
    DeViL303

Home Page:
    A bit, but I'm not sure what type my server is serving on, and not really sure I understand it all.

I have made a nice discovery.

Copying content from the XMB is completely controlled be mms.sprx and this section in particular:

upload_2019-4-17_16-51-18.png

If other file types are added here they become 100% copyable, AND downloadable fully, including background downloading to 100%. :)

I was mistaken earlier when I said that I had that going with only download_plugin modded, I had forgotten about a earlier mod I had done to mms.sprx.

This solves deletion error, but means they get moved to dev_hdd0/video/xx/ after downloading.

It is fairly cool copying ISOs and PKGs to the system from USB though all the same.

Note: They do download into the chosen path, but then get moved to dev_hdd0/video/xx on completion, no errors.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 12:52 PM
    sandungas, aldostools and Niander466 like this.
  19. 2,704
    aldostools

Wow! That's a really cool news! Now I'm Just curious if wMM detects the ISO in /video folder... If it does, it should be mountable too.

If not, a simple batch script could be used to move the files to the proper folders.

It would be nice if the subfolder /xx/ could be removed.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 12:53 PM
  20. 5,608
    DeViL303

Home Page:
    How do I get wMM to look for dev_hdd0/video/**/****.iso , there is still that random folder issue too. This will stop us from accessing pkgs without moving them.

I am interested in these folders too.

upload_2019-4-17_17-55-29.png

These might not not suffer from the random subfolder issue, and i could edit them if I can find out how to use them, could be based on filetype, or maybe these are for use when copying from a PSP or something, more testing to be done.

elbubu and Niander466 like this.