RGB SCART and the PS2

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by irkyu, Jan 27, 2019.

1. 6,542
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Yeah, that ones was the officials, can be recognized because have the metalic RCA connectors :encouragement:

Btw, be carefull with the cables with SCART connectors, the problem is SCART was designed to carry lot of signals, and it allows for composite (low quality), s-video (low quality), RGB

What i mean... the fact that the cable have an SCART doesnt assures you that is using RGB

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    irkyu likes this.
  2. 784
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    I don't see "Sony" on the CEX page, so they never said it was a Sony product. Anyway, since the PlayStation 2 has been EOL'ed, the Sony SCART cable should be limited edition (R) now.

IMO, cables are cables, as long as they are designed and made well. Just enjoy your games!

If you cannot get a real RGB cable, why not use component? It's nearly as good and is more common.

ted209 likes this.
  3. 12
    irkyu

irkyu Forum Noob

@sp193 The component cables I have don't work for some reason. Probably the TV inputs are broken (since I tried 2 cables and both didn't work).

4. 73
    mndx

mndx Member

lol so many suggestions....but if you've to settle for an unofficial cable i once again recommend the uk based Retro Gaming Cables:

it uses csync so it holds up to component, it wont work with dvd playback (on my tv at least)

believe me when i say that i was blown away by the difference between their cables and the other unofficial ones i used.
    and the price is fair imo:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...C-COMPOSITE-SYNC-RGB-SCART-WTH-LIGHT-GUN-PORT

5. 1,665
    jolek

jolek Senior Member

I can only add that with cheap SCART cables I've buzzing sound in some scenarios (e.g. in some OPL debug colors).
    With better made this annoying sound is less noticeable.

I've also notice that in this video SCART cables for PS2 shouldn't have any capacitors,
    or these capacitors should be very large:
    Code:
    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brMW6KFue-I&feature=youtu.be&t=1324[/url],
    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brMW6KFue-I&feature=youtu.be&t=1266[/url].

BTW did you tried to change Video mode from RGB to Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr.

6. 73
    mndx

mndx Member

yup that's correct about the caps, quote from their site:

"Yes, this cable works with all PlayStations 1 & 2 consoles released world wide, including PAL and NTSC versions. However we do supply separate cables for the PS1 and PS2, as the PS1 doesn't have the 200uF capacitors between the video encoder and the A/V output socket inside the console but the PS2 does, therefore, our PS1 cables have capacitors inside the SCART plug and our PS2 cables does not. This is to ensure maximum electrical compatibility for each console.''

and yup again, tried all the different output modes. games worked great, dvd's didn't...my old tv is the problem, not the cable tho.

jolek likes this.
  7. 3,132
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    This is why they are a bit pricey CEX knows the collector value and ho rare the item is and has collectors price tag.

RCA AV Component will not let you play imported games in colour on a PAL TV in the UK it will be black and white, also the pic quality isn't as good as RGB SCART. Deeper more true colours, more stable frame rates. And allow you to use 60HTz instead of 50HTz (well back in the PS2 days lol when TVs where crap.)

You don't understand the UK laws on advertising, they are very strict, it does not have to have [email protected] slapped on the title. Official means it would be the [email protected] cable, if it said official licensed product it would be different. It is what they say it is, just the same as if you cannot see the PS logo on it, the pic is most likely not a pic of the actual thing but a generic one as they deal in hundreds of thousands of things for all aspects of gaming and entertainment. And it states this on the site.

This is the biggest shop in the UK for this sort of thing and I use them regularly for all sorts of stuff. Companies in the UK that don't sell what they are advertising the product as will get massive fines, is classed as misleading consumers with false information, repeat offenders have their trading licence away and that company is finished.

8. 763
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I have 4 RGB cables (I had other 2 that I gave), from 20+ euro to 4 euro (one with gold plated contacts, some shielded, others not). They all exactly deliver the same quality. Just avoid the grey ones, they are old chinese clones of the original Ps1 cable and can be noisy (they are badly mounted).

I'm currently using one of the cheaper ones (I repeat, they are exaclty the same).

Even on the Xbox scene, there was the belief that the official scart-rgb cable was superior to the clones. This belief was caused just to wrong interpretations (people that couldn't distinguish a composite+scart adapter from a scart-rgb cable…). Simply a RGB-scart cable deliver a much better video quality than a composite (the scart adapter doesn't make differences, it can have full pins but only the composite related pins will be used).

I have this: https://www.ebay.it/itm/CAVO-ADVANC...h=item2ac27ef6aa:g:624AAOSwx6pYtzqq:rk:6:pf:0 (bought new)

and one like this: https://www.ebay.it/itm/6-ft-1-8m-R...=item41e486f140:g:nmsAAOSwuHJbIQ7W:rk:16:pf:0

The original have the optical output in the central box (for connect to a dolby surround system), aside that them both deliver the exact same quality.

irkyu likes this.
  9. 3,132
    Cypher_CG89

:D:D:D:D:D right on the money :D:D:D:D:D

10. 763
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

There was a lot of forum topics with people saying: "yes you got a Xbox rgb cable, but with the official one it's all another world!!…"

Then I got a new official one ($$$) just to discover it deliver the same audio/video quality as the 4$ cable I already had.

11. 763
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

It's not exactly so ( http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6457 )

CRT tv weren't crap at all. It was a good time when a tv (any price) could actually do the job. Now you need thousands of euro/$ just to have a tv with decent blakcs/contrast and colors… And (since Plasma tv are dead) even on the expensive ones you can't avoid the (perceived) motion resolution drop.

I mean, I use the tv to play video contents, not a picture slide. Actually, when moving the camera in a game, you have a higher resolution on a HD CRT (even with a standard crt) than on a 4k modern tv.

12. 3,132
    Cypher_CG89

I categorise things into 3 things:

1. Official products from the console manufacturer = Good quality product.
    2. Good 3rd Party products from well known manufacturers, and unknown generic products = usually just as good as the official one.
    3. Cheap rip offs of these products = Usually crap quality, does not do the same as the others and breaks quickly.

Its the rip offs you got to watch out for, if in doubt but the Official one for a bit extra money but it normally does the same as it. I think most people like the official one's for collectable's.

I remember when I got my PS2, was well annoyed at the fact it was an RCA Component AV cable, and that it didn't come with a proper RCA AV to RGB SCART converter adaptor, not as good as a proper RGB SCART for quality but a little bit of an improvement. As soon as they made the proper RGB SCART I bought it straight away for the deeper colours and better pic quality and frame rates stability.

When the PS3 came with the same cable i put the RGB SCART cable on it, my HD TV was bust at the time lol.

In the UK at the time there where two type's of TVs 50HTz PAL and 60HTz PAL. On some of the 60HTz PALs it was a bit dodgey. The RGB SCART sorted these issues out plus imports would not play in colour on PAL TV's without the RGB SCART acble or the proper RCA AV to RGB SCART converter block.

I refuse to pay them prices when a HDTV thats cheaper does the same thing, its all a war between the companies, say this does that, and that does this when really they all do the same thing. Its all advertising and people need to look past the BS of that and stop wasting money on things that cost thousands when something thats half the price does the same thing and sometimes better. Your paying for the name really.

One of my HDTVs is just as good as the best manufactuere at the time it was made and I would say its better the the main brands. Its an american 40" ProScan 1080P 60Htz TV and its just as good as the top brand of the time and cost less than half the price. I have my PC and console on this one. The quality is excellent for what i pain for it.

Hate Plasma and LCD's there all prone to the same issue of static image screen burn. And they use to much eclectic and heat up like hell, plus with Plasma the gases in the screen decay over time and the pic goes on them. LCD is much better and more reliable.

13. 763
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I agree 100%

Please be careful to that mistake, it's not component but composite (component is actually a good HD cable. Btw at equal resolution, scart-RGB can be sharper).

The frame-rate is not affected. Maybe you can have this impression due to the greater three-dimensionality of rgb signal.

Read here please, so we don't have to go too much O.T. :D http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6457

You know, when LED lcd came out, they were much worse that CCFL LCD (but cost double the price), plastic colors, shitty saturation. They were only (useless and counterproductive) light power. They attracted people, under the headlights of shopping centers (Plasma tvs, phosphors based, seemed off under those powerfull lights...).

Nowadays there aren't tv with a overall quality as the Pioneer Kuro series 9 or Panasonic series 60 (and even the Samsung PSF8500 was a very good one). the stories about the gases, short duration and so, are just metropolitan legends. They (the manufacturers) just wanted to put Plasma tv out of production 'cause with LCD they have more profit margin (much cheaper to made).

You're right about the Plasma burn-in problem (lcd are not affected, your tv too is a lcd, just backlited with led instead of cold cathode lamps), it was present, but in many models not problematic (it's present on OLED tvs as well).

I made a comparison between my Philips HD CRT (from 2006/7) and my friend 2000$ LG 4k OLED tv.

I played Uncharted 1 (Ps3), my friend Uncharted 1 HD collection (Ps4). I made a generic calibration on both tvs…

I couldn't pull out from the OLED natural and realistic colors as the CRT (not even close), and when you move the camera, the comparison it's embarrassing.

If the profit would not have been the most important thing, for tv manufacturers, today (since about 2005 actually), We would have been looking at SED tvs…

Well, In the end I went a long way O.T. anyway (even if I held back), I'm sorry :D (I'm passionate about video technology since 10 years).

Ryccardo likes this.
  14. 763
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

As @jolek suggested you, make sure to have the video output to Y-Pb-Pr in Ps2 system settings, otherwise with a component cable, you'll have a Black screen.

With a scart-RGB and video output to Y-Pb-Pr instead, you'll see the image in Grey Scale.

This option doesn't affect the composite output.

15. 763
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

This was the official scart-rgb cable:

psx scart-rgb.jpg

I heard that first playstations in Japan was bundled with this cable on the box. I don't know if that rumor was true.

16. 3,132
    Cypher_CG89

For the PS1 yes, it works on PS2 as well, They brought out another one that was black for the PS2 that had RCA output on it as well. The original PSX I have came with the VSH RF connector. it had 3 different video connection's on it. VHF RF, RCA and multi AV.

Am not sure if they were but it sounds like something that would happen, in fact am quite sure they did at first. RGB scart for japan and crappy RCA for the rest of the world.

17. 12
    irkyu

irkyu Forum Noob

Why would Japan use RGB SCART? I'm pretty sure SCART is barely used outside Europe. Just curious.

But yeah - I did risk it, it's only £5 and I have more important things on my mind to spend right now... yeah, composite signals are garbage especially in NTSC mode.

Also: I did try setting to YPbPr in component out settings but nothing came through same thing happened on the PS3 with 2 different cables, I think the TV input is broken

@Peppe90 My clone RGB SCART isn't light grey, so yeah, it's probably a newer clone, should arrive Thursday and I'll give it a whirl

18. 73
    mndx

mndx Member

Remember that here we have EURO scart, in japan they've JP21. That means the pin assignment inside the plug for each element of the RGB signal is different

Peppe90 likes this.
  19. 763
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Indeed, if you need to use a euro-scart-rgb cable with a jap device, you have to open it and switch the pins contacts.
    Or you can buy an adaptor like this: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/european-scart-to-japanese-scart-converter

20. 763
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

It was just at the launch or so, then even in Japan the scart-rgb became optional like here in Europe.