State of Movian?

Discussion in 'Movian Media Center (PS3)' started by umart666, Nov 29, 2018.

1. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

i have same problem as him in showtime/movian integrated in multiman.i have tried stock version that comes with latest multiman from brewology and to update it to bleeding edge from there.

basicaly anything beyound 480p is unplayable (cpu too slow to decode... and unable to call... errors while playing).

installed versions (anything i've tried) play everything except hevc flawlessly.

2. 2,823
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    No all mkv's now make movian quit back to the XMB. And this has only started to happen with the versions i have now, never happened with previous versions. the previous version worked flawlessly with everything.

Movian Version: 5.0.548

Showtime version: 05.00.494
    log file attached

Attached Files:

3. 582
    deank

deank Developer

bguerville and bitsbubba like this.
  4. 2,823
    Cypher_CG89

Thanks @deank.

Will test it and post back on here.

5. 2,823
    Cypher_CG89

@deank

Works spot on, no lag or instant quit back to the xmb when I select an mkv film. Thanks

Is there a DEX version of this build?

6. 582
    deank

deank Developer

I don't think I made one, but I guess you can do it yourself. If not - I can try to make it for you (no promise).

And I'm glad this version worked for you. :)

STLcardsWS and bitsbubba like this.
  7. 2,823
    Cypher_CG89

Am not much of a programmer unless it comes down to making PS3 games, and even that is limited as I mainly dealt with graphics. Trying to learn as much as a can as when I stopped working in the games industry I stopped doing that sort of thing all together for a good few years, and now I am playing catch up lol.

What would I need and need to do to build my own versions of Movian for DEX as I have 3 PS3's, one on DEX for modding games like BO2 in private games and LAN (I host the menus lol) and doing other things like XMB graphics mods, game graphics mods and such, one on CEX for purely just playing games un-modded. The 3rd is a superslim for playing DVDs, Blurays and music so not fussed about that one lol. All my films are on an external HDD so when am using one I normally have a film playing on the other CFW PS3 and TV at the same time and would prefer not to keep having to convert from DEX to CEX every time I use the DEX PS3 to watch films lol.

I have ProDG and official SDK 4.75 ( I still have a licence for it lol ) as well as nearly every PC tool there is for CFW. the only thing i don't have is MS visual studio C+++ ( Got a private licence for that as I am part of MS's azure dev team, just not enough HDD space to install. its a good way to learn windows and pc app programming, but it gives me a massive headache learning it lol )

Anything else I might need? And how would I go about making a DEX version?

8. 582
    deank

deank Developer

STLcardsWS, bguerville and bitsbubba like this.
  9. 2,823
    Cypher_CG89

Works perfectly on my DEX PS3, even with both ways this DEX PS3 is normally set up. Both PS3's are working the way they used to with Movian.

Big thanks @deank

STLcardsWS and deank like this.
  10. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

hi again deank,i've installed 5.0.537-deank-api21.apk for android from that repository and it doesn't have tab for local storage,just 'usb drives' tab with 'emulated' and 'self' folders and i can't locate my phone's storage...to try older build or keep using version from the store?

sorry for offtopic.

11. 582
    deank

deank Developer

If it works in both modes you may just install the CEX version on your DEX - this way you'll have the same 494 build on both PS3s. Give it a try. And now that Movian is working for you - refrain from updating it. For the last two years there were no significant changes and also Andreas doesn't test the PS3 versions like he did in the beginning. Most of the updates are related to the linux/android versions and the PS3 builds are issued just as a side effect of the auto-build process (not really tested) - consider them as super-dark-nightly-builds. :)

Go to Android Settings/Apps/Movian and enable access to USB storage.

bitsbubba likes this.
  12. 2,823
    Cypher_CG89

Defo super dark builds, with there own personality to go with them, do what they want when they want lol. Am defo not updating it anymore..if it ain't broke..don't update it lol.

All I do is swap the LV2 Kernel to CEX, the target ID stays as DEX. Some DEX things can be funny when the Kernel is swapped to CEX. This allows me to use both DEX and CEX mods for COD games without having to convert the console back to CEX.

So essentially for this its a DEX console with a CEX LV2 Kernel lol, strange setup but it works. Then when am done a change it back to DEX for connection to ProDG. Its rare I do this as the best mods are for DEX and graphic mods for games are best done in DEX:cool:. For example I am working on a full 1080p overhaul of the full PS3 Skyrim game because most graphics mod for this are 2k,4k and 8k for PC, no one really bothers with the PS3 versions anymore for graphics and they keep the game at 720p. Just glad to know it works if I forget to swap the kernel back.

Again thanks for the help sorting it out :D

13. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

sorry deank,just now i had the time to test.tried all your android versions from that repository and none show storage,no matter what i do with permissions.

but,more importantly,both of your versions of movian for PS3 work flawlessly (that cex compiled and integrated showtime/movian in multiman).no problems with 'cpu too slow...' and both versions play dl torrents flawlessly.

i'll test that plugins that gave me trouble and report,and many,many thanks again for support!

maybe it's a good idea to edit that sticky thread here and warn other users not to update to latest versions from movian.tv and stick to your versions for PS3?

and i will try my best to support you as soon as i can!

14. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

i did some extensive testing more,and still external torrents (torrents download elsewhere and transfered to ps3 and started from wirhin movian) crashes movian and then goes to xmb.

sometimes straight when 'entering' torrent (to select specific file for example entering season pack of some series and to select specific episode),sometimes it starts playing and after about 10 seconds crashes,sometimes it plays like intended.

i've tested all movian versions i could find (both deank compiled and integrated in multiman,both stable and BE versions from brewology,some older versions that i could find...) and all of them behave the same.

also i've tried configuring cache size,cache for playback,cache location,with and without plugins... all to no avail and/or change.

only other change in config that i do is to enlarge subtitles size to 165 percent and to change default character set for subtitles in lagnguages tab.

couple of plugins (rutracker,rutor..) behave the same as external torrents,and couple of them work flawlessly (yts,eztv).

also,is it possible to stream from one movian (for example movian on android tv) to movian on ps3?my phone plays 4k hevc files flawlessy and it would be very practical for me to be able to stream them directly to movian (with subtitles would be awesome).

thanks again for all support and help!

15. 582
    deank

deank Developer

On the PS3 Movían crashes with SEASON series (where you have a single torrent file with 10-20 episodes). So Movian tries to “probe” each episode to create a thumbnail and it requires A LOT of memory, which the PS3 lacks. One solution is to go for “single episode” torrents or to restart Movian after each crash - as many times as needed until it creates all thumbs.

Since the former is feasible I’d suggest you do that. Fixing Movian to work with 150mb of RAM is quite hard for this single scenario.

I’d suggest that you buy a raspberry pi3 and enjoy Movian on a €20 device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

there's no way to disable fetching metadata and thumbnails?that wouldn't solve the issue?

17. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

movian repository and official dl page is up again.

i see on dl page 3 separate versions for ps3 - regular pkg,self and gh.pkg?which one is for CEX users?

18. 3,980
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
    Actually either one, back when Movian (Showtime) started Geohot CFW was using separate patches then other CFWs, today all CFWs use both patches

19. 582
    deank

deank Developer

After you update, don’t post again with complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. 3,980
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Super Moderator / Developer Super Moderator Developer

Homicidal Super Moderator
    Home Page:
    Dean I tried to make a donation through PayPal but for some reason they won't let me using paypal.me/webplugins