PS3 String Viewer and DECR 0.90FW XMB Items (Partially working)

Discussion in 'XMB Modifications' started by DeViL303, Apr 4, 2018.

1. 7,542
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Damn, bad luck, this is exactly what was needed for webman covers, when i saw it for first time it inmediatly came to mind webman

Nice, this is very important because is a general feature (there are lot of places where can be used)
    If you test more experiments with this please remember the other 2 variants i mentioned
    -Using several includes in the same line (so a single item includes several others)
    -Prepare a "cascade" of includes (so item1 includes item2... and item2 includes item3... item3 includes item4... and so on)

Im guessing both should work... but is just a theory, if you confirm please tell

Not sure why this called your attention... are you thinking the "grid" name is some kind of reserved "keyword" that triggers some special features ?

What i think is a special keyword is the name "segmentize" (used like one of that "view_id")... i think is "splitting" the horizontal XMB bar... but i have no idea how is made
    And probably is very related with the category_settings.sprx so i guess is needed to reverse that sprx (and maybe some more stuff) to look at all info together to have a good overview... and then to compare with retail firmwares (because this changed in retail)
    So is a hard challengue, is over my skills XD

In scetool try to resign it by using the option "template". And for the template you have to select a .sprx from 4.82 firmware, this way your resigned sprx "should" work on 4.82

\o/ call host
    Good typo :)

T.A.U and k9mo like this.
  2. 7,542
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

There is a xml replacer tool published by team ps3xploit, with that you should be able to replace one (or more) of the xml that works as the lists that displays icons in the vertical columns of XMB (settings, photo, video, music, game, etc... every one of those has a xml that defines what appears in them)

But the modifyed xml files you should install is limited to whatever that was published in internet that was CONFIRMED WORKING AND STABLE
    This is not a must... is mostly a suggetion, because in the practise you can write a corrupted xml to a "han compatible only" PS3 model and this is not going to cause a big harm... in the worst scenario what is going to happen is when you try to turn on the PS3 the firmware is not able to load the XMB completly (so you see some kind of errors in screen, or you dont see anything)... but this can be fixed easy by reinstalling the firmware PUP (the same exact firmware you had installed before you fucked up your XMB)

If someone on HAN wants to do some experiments with this XML files we are talking... the most safest way and easyer too... is by adding a couple of lines in the xml file to "redirect" the loading to usb

So what the PS3 firmware does is... when the PS3 boots and loads your modifyed xml, then it reads the line where you are "redirecting" the load to usb.... an then it attempts to load a "fully customized" xml from root of usb, and can happen 2 posible things:
    -If custom xml is in usb.... it will be loaded
    -If custom xml is not in usb.... nothing happens (firmware continues working normally, no errors)

Also... it doesnt matter if the xml file on usb is completly damaged or corrupted... at the time you boot the ps3 the xmb will load it (and xmb will crash)... but you just need to reboot ps3 (and disconnect the usb with the corrupted xml) and the ps3 will boot normally

This is the safest and faster way to do experiments with this xml files :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    T.A.U, bitsbubba and DeViL303 like this.
  3. 67
    M4j0r

M4j0r Member

Home Page:
    I would recommend using SSL's scetool (https://github.com/Sorvigolova/scetool), it's the only tool which handles early SELF's etc. 100% correctly.

T.A.U, sandungas, kozarovv and 2 others like this.
  4. 3,497
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

What do you mean with "handles early SELF's 100% correctly"? Do you mean that this scetool can sign ELF to that work on OFW?

5. 114
    k9mo

k9mo Member

Custom sprx work on 4.82 ofw if we sign them with scetool??

6. 67
    M4j0r

M4j0r Member

Home Page:
    It can properly decrypt/parse all SELF's from SDK 085 and earlier (even SDK 050 and earlier), while the original scetool, unself and unself2 will fail.

T.A.U, sandungas, aldostools and 2 others like this.
  7. 8,604
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

@aldostools I wonder would the string viewer plugin be useful for something else in cfw, as it can be called with a "module_action" and it is not used for anything as far as we know, maybe it can be used by webman or a xai type plugin?

T.A.U, uday and BDMTPlugz like this.
  8. 3,497
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

Currently I don't see any use for it webMAN... Maybe it could be used in some XMB mod..
    Actually I don't know what is the purpose of the string viewer plugin... I thought it was used to show PARAM.HIS, but that is done by game_ext_plugin.sprx

DeViL303 likes this.
  9. 21
    BDMTPlugz

BDMTPlugz Forum Noob

How would I swap a DEX VSH ON CEX OFW ?

10. 8,604
    DeViL303

That is not related to this thread at all.

This is:

Got string viewer showing some "strings" :) I added a PS3 xml to usb000/strviewer/strviewer_cnf

T.A.U, aldostools and alzw-fa like this.
  11. 8,604
    DeViL303

So after much reversing (jk) I now know the format required for the strviewer_cnf, it needs to be a file with that name, no extension and containing text in this format:
    Code:
    Title = "Title on XMB 1" path = "/path/" file = "filename1"
    Title = "Title on XMB 2" path = "/path/" file = "filename2"
    So just 3 items in quotes per item, the rest is not needed, first is name on XMB, second is the folder/path on usb000, and the third is the start of the filename.

So the above example will create items called "Title on XMB *" which when clicked will look to dev_usb000/path/filename*.xml, where * is the name of the country you entered first of all. I have not figured out the format of the next xml yet. Language xmls from rcos are a no go, no error if the file exists, but just kind of sits on a blank screen with a moving wave, no crash.

See how it looks.

screenshot_2018_04_07_22_24_57.jpg screenshot_2018_04_07_22_25_09.jpg screenshot_2018_04_07_22_25_21.jpg screenshot_2018_04_07_22_25_32.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    T.A.U, sandungas and aldostools like this.
  12. 65
    Assassin_dude998

Assassin_dude998 Member

since u found out where the file explorer came from, do u think that there might be a copy/paste function in the future? I dont wont to annoy u cause im sure u get asked the question alot by new modders but do u think it might be possible in the future now?

13. 8,604
    DeViL303

No, unfortunately its the very same situation now really. I don't see any possibility of copy with that method tbh.

T.A.U and bitsbubba like this.