The Rebug Team needs yet more feedback from you regarding the inclusion & status of Cobra

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by bguerville, Feb 3, 2017.

?

In future Rebug CFW releases, how would you prefer the default Cobra status to be?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2017.
  1. Cobra included & enabled

70.6%
  2. Cobra included & disabled

27.9%
  3. No Cobra included

1.5%
  1. 3,107
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

@sandungas, the easiest approach is to remove Cobra from the CFW, and let managers install Mamba , Cobra or rattle-snake :) Iris and Managunz install the payload upon launch, however once the payload is loaded, it runs background until LV2 reboots

Besides due to the fact Cobra/mamba interact with VSH, our option to modify features that are dependent on the kernel and VSH are quite limited until LV2 is fresh loaded from coldboot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yugonibblit likes this.
  2. 6,134
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Do you realize you started this talk with me wondering why some people dont use cobra, and now you are suggesting to dont use cobra ?
    https://memegenerator.net/Futurama-Fry

The problem is some features from cobra are overrided by backup managers... so are not needed by some people
    But others are not, like the plugins support (though there is a prx loader standalone app), or the debug features

Then that people has to choose... if using the actual "fully pimped cobra"... or not using it at all
    And thats the problem, there are not intermediate flavours... just use it... or not... thats all

Yugonibblit likes this.
  3. 56
    MHAF99

MHAF99 Member

Student
    COBRA INCLUDED BUT DISABLED
    -this way it wont harm anyone who doesn't need it and will help a lot anyone who doesnt want additional tools apps for plugins, launchers, extra features cobra includes

4. 3,107
    Joonie

Joonie Developer

Well, the point of not using COBRA on boot is because like we talked, CFW should be a clean state and let managers handle the rest of them.

But if there are multiple payloads, it can be done on boot but each time you choose the payload, it has to be rebooted

like you choose payload from IRIS manager, you have re-launch or reboot to apply the payload.

Edit

But the payload selector is the worst idea for now, because in order to separate all the features from Cobra, we need to redesign the payload from all backup managers,

Because due to the fact Cobra's been around more than 5 years, all the homebrews are designed to use Cobra to handle all the back up functions once the Cobra is detected, so once you take that backup management feature off from the Cobra, we should add another layer for managers to not to use Cobra's own backup feature.

So yeah, none of the idea is good for now until we find a way to transform the Cobra without having trouble with all those dependencies

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  5. 83
    Crezazel

Crezazel Member

Included but disabled.

6. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

Cobra included

enabled or disabled it doesn't matter since we all have to go to the toolbox and switch to rebug mode.

7. 7,850
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

Well not everyone needs to switch to Rebug mode after installation, it depends on the use you make of your console.
    Rebug mode is needed for certain things such as running the psnpatch plugin but it's not necessary per se.

The same idea applies to Cobra...
    Cobra is commonly used by many users but not by everyone...
    Some users may prefer Mamba's flexible approach (unlike Cobra, Mamba does not require to be loaded at boot time, it can be launched at any time & backup managers can integrate Mamba payloads to mount games without the standalone Mamba being "installed" system wide) while others may favour using no Cobra/Mamba at all, relying on prx loader to load whatever plugin they may use in a "pseudo" standard CEX mode...

In these conditions, including Cobra in Rebug CFW, but in a disabled state, makes sense, it gives Rebug users the freedom to choose although it is not a major issue as long as the Rebug Toolbox offers a toggle feature...

Yugonibblit and Coldlm like this.
  8. 228
    Coldlm

Coldlm Member

What's the differrance bitween Cobra and Mamba, apart from not loading at the start?

9. 7,850
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

From an end-user point of view, none.
    Mamba was made so there would be no difference except in how & when it can be launched.
    The source code however is not at all the same & from a development point of view, both solutions have strengths & weaknesses... It is said that Cobra's source is more optimised but tbh I have never seen statistics that confirms it...

Yugonibblit and Coldlm like this.
  10. 440
    Yugonibblit

Yugonibblit PSX-Place Supporter

Mechanic
    Hello,is it possible to ad cobra and mamba,ect into rebug toolbox?:confused3:

11. 440
    Yugonibblit

Mechanic
    Ok I guess not ?

12. 7,850
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

It is possible but you would need to add appropriate code to the Toolbox to support loading Mamba & installing an autoloader. It should be a fairly easy task because there is code already available that could be reused, however, you would still need to be familiar with C programming to make those changes.

Yugonibblit likes this.
  13. 440
    Yugonibblit

Mechanic
    I don't mean myself doing it . Just wondering if anybody thought it would be a good solution for the keep or remove cobra suggestions. o_O

14. 7,850
    bguerville

bguerville Moderator

I am not sure whether it would help the keep/remove Cobra conendrum because I feel the problem would remain fundamentally the same.
    To answer your question, yes the possibility has been mentioned before.
    I suppose a mod adding Mamba support should already have been made as the Toolbox source was released many months ago, unfortunately, the ps3 scene lacks regular devs.
    The very few devs that are still currently active have already given the community much of their free time in past months/years & they are busy with their own projects & life like everyone else.
    Software development requires big chunks of free time & not everyone has the luxury of enough of those to gift to the community...

It's hard to tell but Mamba support in the Toolbox might still happen in the future if someone decides to take the Toolbox project on.
    My own free time currently goes into finishing up with the xai_plugin project which I now extended substantially with many new features.
    Next most likely the video_rec project if mysis doesn't release the latest source & then we'll see... there is a plethora of things yet to be done on the PS3 tbh...

Yugonibblit likes this.
  15. 440
    Yugonibblit

Mechanic
    Well I would have to say that I would love to be able to help and much appreciated for all dev that have spent there time on all the great projects. Nothing has inspired me as much as the superior knowledge that i have learned.ok I went of in the weeds again sorry. Well I will love to see in the future if cobra stays or goes or toggle 's on or off or possibly all plugins with toggle options.i also wish you much success with your project. :D