PS2 FMCB/FHDB v1.9 series release thread

Discussion in 'Free MCBoot' started by sp193, Apr 8, 2017.

1. 415
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    New Poweroff ELF

Switches off the PlayStation 2 console. This may be used as a menu item to switch off the PlayStation 2 console.
    Original code by belek666.

Changelog for v1.00
    • Added missing SIF Initialization at boot.
    • Replaced IOP reset with a standard version. Also for compatibility with all PlayStation 2 models.
    • Replaced call to libhdd functions with a direct call to libpwroff's functions.

Downloads/Links
    Poweroff (source + binary): http://www.mediafire.com/file/p9qza52b7bw2bu7/[180613]poweroff.7z

Please use the new version.

2. 75
    antonioks

antonioks Member

Home Page:
    Thank you very much my dear, I'm going to put here in my PS2 39001, I was using the old version, I'm in the mood to update the FMCB I'm with 1.951 for the last version 1,961 to see if the Vampire: Darkstalkers Collection will run here with the OPL Loader, currently, when I choose one of the games of the collateanea is on a black screen.

3. 415
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    That is great, but a problem in OPL is likely a problem within OPL. You should ask the OPL developer(s) for help instead...
    All PlayStation 2 software will have full control over the console, so FMCB will have no direct effects on any other software.

antonioks likes this.
  4. 415
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    Installer Update v0.982

Changelog:

• Reverted change from v0.98 - the IOP will no longer be reboot between the signing of each file.
    While I am all for keeping the modules free of unofficial code, it appears that rebooting the IOP between the signing of each file increases the odds of an "Installation failed" happening.
    Such a vague message is printed when an unrecognized error code is encountered. At that point, it does seem like some part of the installer has entered an undefined state, since it is impossible to make another installation after that. I have no wish to deal with such randomly-occuring problems.

Hence there is less reason to keep the official workaround for supporting both CEX and DEX consoles, in favour of the simpler workaround of getting secrman_special itself to adapt to the DEX. This was done previously.

Note: no change to FMCB/FHDB was made. You do not have to download the new package, if you had no problems installing FMCB.

Downloads/links
    FMCB + FHDB + installer project page (downloads at bottom): http://ichiba.geocities.jp/ysai187/PS2/FMCB/

jolek and antonioks like this.
  5. 439
    jolek

jolek Member

Now, everything is alright.
    Thanks.

Now, all we need is a faster response in installer when item is highlighted for the first time. ;)

antonioks likes this.
  6. 415
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    FMCB v1.961 Released!

Changelog for v1.961:
    • (FHDB) Re-released with the corrected PFS module, so that the configurator can save properly to the HDD.
    • (FHDB) Updated FSCK to v0.961.
    Changelog for the installer, v0.983:
    • Added option to format the HDD unit, if not formatted.
    • Updated translation template.
    • Rebuilt to have the fixed PFS driver.
    • Updated FSCK to v0.961 - fixed checking of PFS partitions.
    • Updated LaunchELF.

The version number is increased, to help users differentiate between the initial release (which occurred nearly 10 days ago) and this one.

For the changes to LaunchELF, please refer to this thread.

Downloads/Links
    FMCB, FHDB + installer project page (downloads at bottom): http://ichiba.geocities.jp/ysai187/PS2/FMCB/

7. 439
    jolek

jolek Member

Hi @sp193.
    Currently I don't have an access to SCPH-50004,
    but with my slim SCPH-77004 (without HDD) in FMCB\FHDB installer when I hit
    Install FHDB
    I'm getting error that:
    Hmm.
    BTW to format HDD, i need to enter Install FHDB?

8. 415
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    But do you know if the disk's S.M.A.R.T. status is actually good? Does HDDChecker agree that the disk has reported that it is failing?

Yes. It will check the HDD when you choose to install FHDB, and then ask you to format the disk if it is not formatted.

9. 439
    jolek

jolek Member

No, no, no. Once again my English fails when it comes to the communication. [​IMG]
    SCPH-77004 do not support internal HDD.
    But in installer I can chose this option (Install FHDB).
    Previously this option was unavailable.
    Now when I enter it:

10. 415
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    Oh lol. Nope, it's just me. I've been going on and on with PS2 development for so long (days and days) that it's getting to my head....

It's not supposed to happen. But I've been adjusting the code there because I wanted more control over the HDD status.
    Thanks for the info.

EDIT: the bug has been fixed and the file has been replaced.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    rocknard likes this.
  11. 415
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    FMCB v1.962 Released!

Changelog for v1.962:
    • Fixed inability to boot DVDs from the browser, by re-addeding the accidentally deleted cleanup code.
    • Added a call to deinitialize libpad to the FMCB Configurator, for stability after exiting.
    • Fixed play history being updated twice, when a DVD Video disc is played.

Also because I must have accidentally hit the "keep both files button", the previous update did not get overwritten. So there is now probably some confusion over the version number. This shall become the new release, which will hopefully be the last one...

As for how the glitch came about: I changed the DVD Player selection code for v1.96. So while trying to get it to work, I commented out the code that deinitializes the RPC services... so libcdvd was (silently) failing because its semaphores were deleted by the EE kernel, but it couldn't be initialized because it thinks it already was initialized. So the lesson here, is as some old advice goes - there is a risk involved when we comment out code while debugging.

Downloads/Links
    FMCB + FHDB + installer project page: http://ichiba.geocities.jp/ysai187/PS2/FMCB/

EDIT: file has been updated.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    klx, antonioks, rocknard and 3 others like this.
  12. 439
    jolek

jolek Member

I wanted to complain, but I notice that you updated FMCB\FHDB. [​IMG]
    I was having a problem when FMCB was kicking me into wLe, but now the problem is solved.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    antonioks likes this.
  13. 42
    tehrzky

tehrzky Member

is it possible to add PADEMU (ds3/ds4 controller bluetooth) on FMCB/FHDB OSDYS when it boots? so it will totally get rid the use of ds2 controller.

antonioks likes this.
  14. 415
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    It might be because I am trying hard to rush through all these projects and their many silly problems, but I have been making a lot of silly mistakes lately...

Unfortunately, that would only work in FMCB and not in other software, since each software will have full control over the PlayStation 2.

If we implement the actual PADEMU (the system that actively replaces PADMAN) instead of native support for the BT controller, then it will require resident code. It is something that will change the PlayStation 2 (a normal console will not have the extra code), giving rise to potential software incompatibilities (like how GSM works and sometimes does not). There will also be this question then, of how it will interact with existing implementations in other software, like the PADEMU within OPL.
    I do not want to deal with this, sorry. The amount of work involve, could amount to another project.

At least, I feel very burned out over these few years, which is why I am trying to cut down on PS2 projects.

tehrzky and antonioks like this.
  15. 42
    tehrzky

tehrzky Member

ah the problem is the other program.. i appreciate all your hard work. tnx.

16. 415
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    FMCB + FHDB v1.962 Re-released!

This update is mainly to replace the previous package, which had a LaunchELF build that had issues with launching some (older) homebrew software.
    The replacement LaunchELF build also has the rename operation enabled for all supported devices (memory card, USB mass storage device and the HDD unit).

For those of you who have no need to install/update FMCB/FHDB, you can simply grab the new LaunchELF from here: http://www.psx-place.com/threads/wlaunchelf-release-thread.13727/page-3#post-128685

Changelog for v1.962:
    • Fixed inability to boot DVDs from the browser, by re-addeding the accidentally deleted cleanup code.
    • Added a call to deinitialize libpad to the FMCB Configurator, for stability after exiting.
    • Fixed play history being updated twice, when a DVD Video disc is played.
    • NEW - Updated OSD init code (fix for the mix-up on 06/23). Might not really result in any real benefits though.
    Changelog for installer v0.983:
    • Added option to format the HDD unit, if not formatted.
    • Updated translation template.
    • Rebuilt to have the fixed PFS driver.
    • Updated FSCK to v0.961 - fixed checking of PFS partitions.
    • Updated LaunchELF.
    • Corrected logic error in UI that prevented FHDB from being installed.
    • Updated FSCK, to also correct the same logic error within it.
    • Updated LaunchELF, to fix the display mode setting problem and the inability to reliably boot ELFs.
    • NEW - Updated LaunchELF to fix booting of old software and to enable renaming for supported devices.

NEW: new changes to the current version.

Downloads/Links
    FMCB + FHDB + installer project page (downloads at bottom): http://ichiba.geocities.jp/ysai187/PS2/FMCB/

jolek and antonioks like this.
  17. 415
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    FMCB + FHDB v1.963 released!

Changelog for v1.963:
    • Fixed inability to boot the DVD player update, by re-addeding the accidentally deleted code.
    • Updated USBHDFSD.
    • Updated LaunchELF.

I have attempted to fix the age-old flaw within USBHDFSD that might be responsible for the rare occurrance of filesystem corruption, whenever new files are added (or if files are renamed).

Downloads/Links

EDIT: I replaced all the FMCB files a while ago, in case the files on my USB disk were bad.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    antonioks, Tupakaveli and aldostools like this.
  18. 2,272
    aldostools

aldostools Developer Developer

Your link is was broken, this one works:
    http://ichiba.geocities.jp/ysai187/PS2/FMCB/index.htm#links

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    STLcardsWS, antonioks and sp193 like this.
  19. 439
    jolek

jolek Member

@sp193 What do think about adding Format HDD in Memory Card Menu (eg under Format MC or Restore MC)?
    Instead od Memory Card Menu it can be Miscellaneous Menu.

This option will be highlighted only if HDD is connected to NA.
    I know that there is an option to format HDD when I want to Install FHDB,
    but the same thing is with FMCB.

When I was trying to update FHDB, installer ask me if I want to keep FHDB CNF setting,
    I pressed "O" to go back\cancel, but the installation process starts anyway.
    Like no matter what button I press the installation will start.

antonioks likes this.
  20. 415
    sp193

sp193 Developer

Home Page:
    FMCB v1.963 Re-released!

There was a logic error within the cache of USBHDFSD, which can cause corruption when the disk is written to. This update addresses that glitch.

Changelog for installer v0.983 (2018/07/04):
    • NEW - Updated LaunchELF.
    • NEW - Updated USBHDFSD, to ensure that files can be written and renamed safely.
    • NEW - Pressing the back button at the keep CNF screen will abort the installation.
    NEW: New changes that were made since the initial releases.

Changelog for FMCB+FHDB v1.963 (2018/07/04):
    • Fixed inability to boot the DVD player update, by re-addeding the accidentally deleted code.
    • NEW - Updated USBHDFSD, to ensure that files can be written and renamed safely.

NEW: New changes that were made since the initial releases.

Downloads/Links

I don't think there is no need for such an option. When good software is used, the disk cannot really be corrupted in ways that the installer cannot work with.
    If not for the multi-installation, I would not have included a format option for the FMCB side either. Providing the format option also presented a risk, since some users have accidentally accessed it before. :')

I have fixed this. Thanks for the reminder.

STLcardsWS, 7o7o, Tupakaveli and 4 others like this.