PS3 Don't use Youtube as main/only source of info for Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'PS3 Jailbreaks / CFW' started by DeViL303, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5,609
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Home Page:
    While that is true that he did not take the advice to go to a forum and read about it more, which he could have done.

You must admit then when you watch a half hour video on something like this, you expect the important points to be covered, obviously 100% he has the right to make video saying anything he wants, but as a user following a 30 minute jailbreak tutorial , you expect a certain level of important safety aspects to be included, its just assumed.

Now its fine that they are not included, its a free world, he can even make a fake tutorial if he pleases saying you can upgrade to a PS4, BUT in the case where a tutorial is not covering important safety aspects of a process, then it should not be getting recommended by lots of people here on daily basis, I dont mean by you, I just mean in general, that is not a good practice really.

So while this thread might be too much for you it still has a point I feel, @everyone If we are going to suggest a Youtube tutorial for an xploit, can we find a better one I wonder, because a good one would be a valuable tool.

2. 1,182
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

I think this thread had run its course.......

3. 8,463
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Okay i have something to say here, I think there is still an issue here.

@MrMario2011 I have to be honest your dropping the ball in the way you have handled this, not treating it very seriously. If your are teaching other's various things, then you need to also be a student here and listen to the seriousness and not just simply dismiss it or think you did enough to rectify the situation. .

I could very well be wrong but your actions are signalling your are more concerned with your channels popularity then doing what is best for the user's your trying to help. A pinned comment to explain what you did not explain is weak (since its important safety info) and can signal your more concerned with the video popularity then just re-doing it. Like i said when your video is posted outside of youtube, NO ONE EVER SEE's THAT INFORMATION... They only hear yourself opening the video and saying follow this guide and understand this guide to not get a brick and well following your guide and advice DOES NOT ensure that. Just think if we reported releases like that.. Not updated the article of important info but just put something in the comments. How many you think would see that? We already know that even with bold red text things get over looked on articles and they can not even be viewed like a video on an outside site where your pinned comment will not even be seen. Its a huge concern in a tutorial that is covering start to finsh..

Like i said people make mistakes, . That is not the issue (when handled), As i said before its how mistakes are handled.. Your dropping the ball here in how this is being handled. Hopefully i am not seeing a guy who rather dismiss the risk rather then just re-doing/re-editing it . Its not the user's fault here if a problem happens, because your starting from point A to Z in your guide and have a good reputation from past videos and now more then well enough aware of the issue (but you now have a disclaimer right?). Yes they (user's) should checkout the details and links you also included and also mentioned, but if your video was designed for them to do this you would not have represented a tutorial from A to Z and said the things you have to not get a brick. Your video would of said hey look what we can do now and here is where to get it. I also think guides like this one in question are good as well (if they contain all the facts or have someone whom will correct things when needed )

we see tweets like this:
    https://twitter.com/MrMario2011/status/1117078667463675906

It just shows how important it is to say something and bring more light to this for @MrMario2011 himself and other's because this is such an easy fix.. One that sucks for a YT with a popular video but more reason it should see a proper fix that ALL viewers can clearly see and know..

4. 9
    thepeoples-ps3

thepeoples-ps3 Forum Noob

I know I'm a few days behind, I haven't read all the posts in the thread, but:

I check the hash of flash.hex both before I copy it to usb *and* afterwards, just to ensure that something hasn't gone wrong during the copy operation. It's a simple step that doesn't take too much to do.

Is it worth adding a note to the tutorials?

Edit: nevermind it's already there :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Coldheart2236 and DeViL303 like this.
  5. 975
    esc0rtd3w

esc0rtd3w Developer

Hacker
    Home Page:
    its already in there.

it says to verify a checked md5 on usb drive. if its bad before it copies, its bad after, so checking after is the important part, but yes also check before will not harm anything ;)

EDIT: haha just noticed your EDIT, as well hehe

6. 8,463
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Do you see the note when viewing here
    https://twitter.com/MrMario2011/status/1112083120277344256

or here

7. 975
    esc0rtd3w

esc0rtd3w Developer

Hacker
    Home Page:
    i was talking about the actual exploit page :)

8. 8,463
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

So i noticed a few other things as well @MrMario2011

Your naming is misleading and makes for confusion:
    I noticed the HAN video refers to HAN as a jailbreak for SuperSlims: Seen here the title of your video:
    How to Install HAN on Any PS3 on Firmware 4.84 | Super Slim Jailbreak

i also see the reasoning for why you did this in a tweet: (when asked by someone else)
    https://twitter.com/MrMario2011/status/1114695818404085760

Now i seen you make a recent video covering ManaGunZ and PS2 ISO's (for CFW) and right off the bat you say "works on all jailbroken consoles"

Here is a screen of your YT video with C.C. on
    11111111444.png

Now if your refereeing to the SuperSlim HAN hack as a jailbreak (wrongfully)
    Then your confusing even your own superslim followers..

How can ManaGunZ work on all jailbroken PS3;s like SuperSlims?
    Well we all know it can not but your video titles and what you say in other videos is misleading by using those terms when you should not as they do not apply to those specif hacks or models.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    DeViL303 and MarcusArthuriel like this.
  9. 5,609
    DeViL303

Home Page:
    100% agree. Maybe I could have been more polite and handled this thread in different way in my first post, but it was just a quick note when it started saying basically "be careful"

I was in the middle of loads of other research at the time and did not expect such a waste of space of a thread to spawn out of it.

Obviously I picked on the "wrong" YouTuber due to his friends and support regardless of his tutorial. The pushback I have got on this thread is a joke tbh.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  10. 6
    MrMario2011

MrMario2011 Forum Noob

Hey all! So I haven't signed into this account since my first post, but I've spoken with @STLcardsWS on Twitter and wanted to get a proper reply in with current and future actions.

First of all - the jailbreak video. As I said before, it could have been done better and had more precautions put into it, which were recommended to ensure success. The steps I showed in the video I had done across multiple systems and in my testing had no issues, but that was my own fault for choosing to skip over a few steps. Again, my mistake, and I'll do better next time. In good news from still monitoring comments, it still looks like an overwhelming majority of users have successfully jailbroken their consoles. If there were mountains of bricked consoles, there would be many complaints and dislikes piled on, so rest easy knowing the majority of the current video's bricks were due to user error, such as following along with a Super Slim console. I did add onto the description and pinned a comment with the additional steps, and I can confidently say that I saw people indeed citing and using those additional steps. The pieces of text I added on were verified by @esc0rtd3w and @Joonie so I added them on and moved forward. However, would more people have done them if they were in the video itself? Of course, which brings me to the second point.

Secondly - Next time? Next time will (probably) be tomorrow. In short I've just decided to reshoot the video from scratch. Maybe less than 5% of it will have original footage from the original video? The rest of it I just thought would be easier to get sorted out from scratch as opposed to retroactively recording segments and splicing them in. I meant it very literally when I said I cannot change the current upload, annotations have been long gone and all you can do through the YouTube editor is things such as blur segments, remove segments, and change/mute audio. It would be awesome if I could just swap out the video file being streamed to everyone, but that's never been a feature, so a new upload will be coming out. I made sure this video all has the basic steps to jailbreaking that @DeViL303 cited in a super early post, but I also included some more details to smooth things over for people struggling. Not being able to flash through the XMB, for example.

HAN Videos with Super Slim Jailbreak - I explained to @STLcardsWS that I had used this naming on my HAN videos 6 months ago with no issues, and my tweet cited is what I believed. I know people looking for Super Slim modifications look up something like "super slim jailbreak" so it's there in the title. From what I've observed across all my videos, people have been aware their HAN enabled consoles are not CFW consoles, so confusion has been minimal but I understand the principle of it.

Current Actions Taken - HAN titles updated to "Super Slim Mod" as opposed to the language used before. The 4.84 jailbreak video has been taken down from public viewing. New one will (probably) be up tomorrow!

All in all, not the first mistake I've made in which I've had to eat a video, and certainly won't be my last, but I can do my best to mitigate it. I apologize for the disturbance this caused and all the effort put into this. Aside from this video, I have one other planned, and know I do plan to make PS3 videos in the future. I don't all too often, but I have been for years, and I'd like to continue to do so without having another one of these giant mega threads pop up.

Either way, the point of this thread's title is still one to keep in mind: Don't use Youtube as main/only source of info for Jailbreaking. There's nothing wrong with going through some extra reading material and using videos as a visual reference guide. Will people continue to only use YouTube for their reference? Absolutely. If corrections need to be made, let the uploader know. It seems many people were a bit confused on how to contact me, but most of my social media links are in every description, and I've been talking with the people I mentioned through Twitter. I'm usually active on there and not as active across forums, as I'm sure many other uploaders are in the same boat. Reach out to them directly if you can if there's something you'd like corrected or changed.

Anyways, I'm tired, I'm hungry, and I have a few things to do before getting this revised tutorial out there. To anyone reading until the end: enjoy what's left of the weekend!

11. 24
    TheSulake

TheSulake Forum Noob

After this anyone can lock the thread, to stop beefin' between Devs and YTbers

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

GregoryRasputin likes this.
  12. 8,463
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Administrator

Dont need your back seat modding.

Thanks

13. 24
    TheSulake

TheSulake Forum Noob

You're welcome tht

14. 5,609
    DeViL303

Home Page:
    Thanks, I appreciate you replying here and look, even though you missed steps your tutorial seems to be one of the best out there. I know it's not easy. So fair play.
    Yeah, lock this thread so it disappears. Great idea.

15. 24
    TheSulake

TheSulake Forum Noob

WDYMean

16. 580
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

It means, duly noted, but your suggestion to bury the thread has not been greenlit, so don't even bother trying to backseat moderate as you're quite honestly wasting your time.

MrMario2011 and DeViL303 like this.
  17. 262
    GregoryRasputin

GregoryRasputin PlayStationHAX PSX-Place Supporter

When people stop replying to this thread, the same effect will happen if it was locked.
    One can also lock a thread and have it remain at the top of post list, this is why forums have "sticky" threads.
    Really though people who have been staff members for a long time would have known this...

18. 1,182
    nCadeRegal

nCadeRegal Moderator

I didnt lock this thread bc someone suggested it. I locked this thread bc of the childish behaviour and insults to one another. Like any discussion between any of you guys it always ends in insults. Grow the eff up, there's 13 year Olds here that are more mature than you guys. I thought about sticking it, but the crap I would have have to clean out of it first was to much work. So when you guys can have a discussion without acting like children, maybe then this long time staff member can do his job properly. Till then..........

19. 58
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

LOL

I did some basic math, came up to about $21,000!! He could get a new car thanks to those tuts LMAO! What a time to be alive.

20. 5,609
    DeViL303

Home Page:
    Exaggerate much? :)

[email protected] likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.