PS3 Most reliable Fat PS3?

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Falco1211, Feb 16, 2020.

1. 8,404
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

I would agree but I know lots of CPUs have a textured finish on top and even a concave surface... so there is more to this than meets the eye.

I have not checked any PS3 heat sinks for flatness with a razor blade so I am not sure how much of a curve you are talking about , but I have read a few times that they make (some/all?) heatsinks slightly convex on purpose so that more pressure is applied to the middle of the cpu where it is hottest. Also CPUs are often slightly concave too, intel for example.

For example, these would be considered fairly high end coolers and they mention it
    https://noctua.at/en/why-is-the-coolers-contact-surface-slightly-convex

2. 7,020
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

The other day i was watching a video in youtube where can be seen how a PS3 heatsink was touching (only) with the corners of the IHS but not the center
    He was not using the trick of the razor blade... but he should (at least for curiosity sake), because when something like that happens you are not completly sure if the problem is in the IHS surface, or in the heatsink surface

In some PS3 heatsinks the flatness is a bit random, and the only accurate way to know it "at home" is by doing the trick with the razor blade
    The other innacurate way to do it is by spreading the thermal paste, assemble everything (and thick all the bolts with the corect pressure), then dissassemble everything again and look at how the thermal paste was "deformed" by the pressure, the goal here is to find a random pattern of peaks created by the paste very well spreaded along all the surfaces

If you have that problem then a good lapping is going to give you a big improvement
    The surface finishing for a lapping... shiny VERSUS matte... i guess is one of that internet wars where everyone will have his own oppinion
    My oppinion is a shiny surface is more "failproof" because it will have less probabilities to trap air bubbles

But someone could argument that the best finishing could be to have lines spreaded in "radial" direction, because this way the particles of the paste and the air can escape more naturally to the outside when you press it

And others could argument that is better to have random peaks (and no notable mark visible at the bare eye)... like a "matte" surface
    The heatsink manufacturers doesnt makes heatsinks with matte surfaces because are very delicated... just imagine if you scratch it with your finger nail your scratch is going to become "shiny" (in other words, you are polishing it by pressure), an small hit is going to create a mark in it, etc...

Algol likes this.
  3. 55
    SR4NK4R

SR4NK4R Member

I also own a cechp04 mine hit 80° Cell and 71° RSX while gaming no delid, the thermal paste made no difference... and only 16 days of total use..

4. 587
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

When will people learn? When telling about Temps, always mention your fan speed, & if possible mention your room temperature.

81c on CELL & 71c on RSX on 12 years old FAT model may be normal.....if its running only on SYSCON. You can keep temps down using CFU or any other fan control application. However, if you can't keep temps down (below 70c) on CFU at high fan speeds (like 60% of above). Then you have a problem and you need delidding.

Squiglemouse likes this.
  5. 55
    SR4NK4R

SR4NK4R Member

Its on Syscon and my room temperature is around 25° well i cant use webman i have to use irisman because webman causes 100% fan speed on startup on some fat models.

6. 55
    SR4NK4R

SR4NK4R Member

I dont really care about those temps its more because i wanted a fat model.
    And i thought the last fat model is the best of them.

7. 587
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

I also own CECHP and have same Temps like you on SYSCON. I use CFU & manually start it on every boot. I can keep Temps down below 70c for all games at fan speeds below 50%. Never faced any problems since last year.

8. 59
    Squiglemouse

Squiglemouse Forum Noob

Delids for one, delids for allll. Joking aside if your unit is hitting 80c that's too hot in my book. The general consensus around here seems to be 69-65c or lower outside temperature spikes.

Granted I'm biased and relish at seeing myself midgame for over an hour and temperatures sitting at or under 60c(without sounding like a jet)

9. 21
    Falco1211

Falco1211 Forum Noob

Mine will get like 77c on the CPU, but the GPU runs like 65/66, while using Auto (max 72) the GPU runs at 61/62cl

10. 587
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

In these winter (room temp 18-20c), my CECHP never went above 61c on CELL & RSX at fan speed at 33%.

11. 7,020
    sandungas

When talking about PS3's that never was delided we need to consider that there is always a performance loss

Using numbers... lets say at the time it went out of factory the thermal paste under IHS was "meh" quality and the thermal paste on top of IHS's was "meh" quality too, so the performance loss from factory maybe was something around 5ºC (compared with the high quality thermal pastes you could use)
    And the PS3 fat was working "ingame" around 70ºC or so

After 6 or 7 years of use maybe the owner replaced the thermal paste over IHS's... and since that point the quality of thermal paste under IHS was "bad" (because originally was "meh", but now is "meh & old") and the thermal paste over IHS's are very good quality... the result could be a performance loss of 10ºC or so
    And the PS3 is working "ingame" a bit over 75ºC or so... or maybe even 80ºC

So is normal... is just you are getting too close to the risky temperatures... you can use the PS3 normally, but always keeping an eye at temperatures
    Otherway if the performance loss is pushing you into temperatures higher than 80ºC then you really need to do something (you should not ignore it anymore). At that point there are only a few things you can do
    1) check flatness of heatsink and IHS surfaces (and lapping them incase you find some curvature)
    2) add more pressure by bending the metal clamps or/and the trick of the rubber block behind CELL
    3) deliding

wrx884, Squiglemouse and snkplkn like this.
  12. 7,020
    sandungas

But dont post the same 2 times dude, thats like flooding :/
    As a moderator i need to delete one of your duplicated posts, i think is better to delete this one and redirect the talk to your thread that is dedicated to your problem
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/how-long-will-my-ps3-survive.28285/

And welcome to the forum btw :)

13. 12
    bouali1903

bouali1903 Forum Noob

i apologize, im not really used to how vbulletin forums work

sandungas likes this.