PS3 Need help regarding CECHL04 fat ps3

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by Kazama, Jun 12, 2019.

1. 33
    TKBS

TKBS Forum Noob

* Get yourself a new HDD, Heatgun and some spare thermal paste. I fixed 3 of these beasts many years ago for people.
    - Since you bought the console before you read the replies (lol) it looks like a CFW is now your best option.
    The backwards compatible one had 4 USB ports, but none of that is relevant now, especially if your using CFW.

PS1 Original ftw with I/O explorer cart or PSONE and discswap
    PS2 Slim - ethernet cable - PC, freemcb,
    PS3 Super Slim - HEN
    You will not get better than playing the original discs on original hardware but there are a few exceptions wiht emulators ePSXe and PCSX2, and what controller you use is not one of them.

Kazama likes this.
  2. 2,669
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    They are PHAT Models!!!! :rolling::-p:D

jcorrea likes this.
  3. 1,692
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    BC PS3 are irrelevant now,just because you can play the same PS2 Titles on CFW? Mate you high? I want some of that product too :D

But now on a serious note, there is a world of difference between playing a PS2 Title on a CFW Machine and on a BC PS3, resolution,framerate,compatibility the list goes on and on, people always want a piece of the BC pie,but these are getting rarer and expensive,and not everyone its willing to fork an insane amout of money for a feature.

By playing on a original launch PS3 model, you are using real hardware, and sometimes results are even better than a PlayStation2 itself.

Kazama likes this.
  4. 1,692
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    60Gb its not amused!! :D

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  5. 2,669
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    That thing needs to go on a serious diet mate.... its a hazard to its own health..... :rolling: :D:-p
    That plus as its an antique (Old :-p) is not a good combination....:rolleyes::-p:D

jcorrea likes this.
  6. 5,770
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Sheet the all black CECHB-01 is the sexiest PS3 out there. Better then the Super Slims that break if you look at them wrong. And you can't beat the full BC's library of games. Mine runs at temps comparable to the Slim's all day long.

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/my-cechb-01-teensy-stealth.9534/

This is after 6 and a half hours of gaming. If you delid the IHS and put good thermal paste as Sony should have they are 100% issue free.

Clipboard017.jpg

Naked_Snake1995 likes this.
  7. 1,692
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Mine runs like a Volvo, and use it almost everyday! Gorgeous thing to look at, makes the other PS3s look like toys, yes it's a bit of a pain, to maintain it, but once you get the issues off of it, you have nothing to worry about.

Trust me, i use to worry a lot, not to use the unit too much, with concern to break it, but after i found what issues these models have and how to fix it, i torture this puppy everyday, as long as it gets regular thermal paste replacement every 6 months amd regular cleaning, it shall last years, more than a Slim or Super Slim.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

8. 139
    unseen

unseen Member

Would you mind writing them down?

9. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

just read this thread again,everything is described in detail.as with all older electronics caps needs to be changed and at this point thermal paste between IHS and chips themselves isn't rally functional especially if the system was used and used extensively.once fixed they become really reliable,cool and virtually silent.

10. 362
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Not a job for average user. BC PS3 are good collectibles for persons with knowledge and expertise. If you are an average gamer, just buy a slim PS3 and be happy with CFW.

11. 1,175
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

well,i'd say that depends more if you have good service in your area and budget for it.

12. 362
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Thermal paste replacement every 6 months? A quality Thermal paste is good for 2-3 years at least. But yes, if you are opening up console, then you have to put up new paste everytime. But why open console every 6 months. Are you a chain smoker? Do you live at a very dusty place? If your room is clean, then no need to open it every 6 months.

I clean my PC every year because there is lot of dust here. I usually clean up before every summer. City i live in is among the most polluted in the world. I doubt you live in such harsh conditions. But its your PS3, you can open it every 3 months if it makes you happy ; )

13. 5,770
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Gotta agree with this. I do mine at least every 2-3 years with no rise in temps

14. 362
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Also, consoles are used very less. I cover my console when not in use. And no dust enters it when its covered and not in use. So dust buildup in console is not a problem at all. Compare that to my PC which has 3 fans (system fan, CPU fan and PSU fan) and PC running 10-15 hours a day. That's why it has significant dust build up. But PS3 is hardly used for couple of hours a day.

15. 1,692
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    No, my lungs are clean as a baby, i dont smoke "i dispise the smell of tobacco", my enviorment its always clean,and well ventilated,and always keep my consoles clean, 0% dust,every week,regarding thermal paste changing,i said 6 months,but i always go year to year replacement, its not about dusty enviorment,but when you are a collector, and have a cleaning obsession, i like to keep my consoles with 0% dust inside and out, gives a better appearance and keeps the machine operational for longs periods of time without worry with problems in the long run, the only manchine i didnt took it apart "yet" its the PS4, its still under warranty,and Europe its quite bitchy about the right to repair policy, take the console apart,break the seal, something fails,like a BD Drive,try to send it to Sony Europe they will automatically refuse.

16. 362
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

That makes more sense.

17. 5,770
    atreyu187

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:

Yeah as even the crappy thermal paste Sony used lasted longer then 6 months before drying up LOL

18. 1,692
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    *NEC/TOKIN Capacitors Degradation - 92% Failure-Rate

*Ceramic Capacitor Degradation - 8% Failure-Rate

*Overheating Power-Supply (CECHA/B - ZSSR5391A) - Factory Defective "due to the huge Amps consumption".

*Drying Thermal Compound under the IHS

*RSX Core Failure - Unless you running stock thermal-paste without any delid,or changing.

*RSX Core Feed Failure - Ceramic Capacitors near the RSX area tends to fail.

*RSX Substrate Failure - When the RSX Core its detatched to the Substrate, provoked mostly for excessive heating (Reballing and Reflow).

unseen likes this.
  19. 62
    Kazama

Kazama Forum Noob

Actually , I am afraid after reading all the replies , especially the RSOD after seeing joonie's threads. (Joonie somehow fixed RSOD)

Also I'm afraid that it might get YLOD in future. I am just thinking to resell it and buy super slim and use HEN on it.

20. 362
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Here is my advice. Have you worked around with CFW and other basic stuff? If not, then why not mess around with CECHL model. I am just saying in case you haven't paid too much for it.

So mess around. Change thermal paste and do some basic service. Then install CFW and try homebrew stuff. Get a idea of the situation. You will learn a lot.

And once you have figured out some basic stuff. Sell your Fat model and look for Slim one. Remember that CFW is a lot better than HEN or HAN. So instead of super slim, you should consider a slim in good condition. Fat BC PS3 are difficult to maintain so avoid them.

So if you haven't paid too much for your fat model, try to learn some basic things on it. Once you get a grasp of the PS3 scene, you will be in better situation to decide which model to buy and what stuff best suits you.

Kazama likes this.