Pinky’s PS3 Tutorials

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by pinky, Mar 14, 2015.

1. 7,529
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

Btw @Xploiting you need to change the language settings in XMB to see the changes you are doing to an specific language
    I mean... there are "english UK", and "english USA", be sure to select the correct one :P

Incase of doubts change the text for all languages

Xploiting likes this.
  2. 13,033
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

I think the UK English is one of the unknowns iirc, but I'm not really sure.

Xploiting likes this.
  3. 87
    Xploiting

Xploiting Member

Through a bit of trial and error ive managed to find where the links are, i had to uppdate the text file in both the explore plugin, syscon pluging. Agaijn thank you for the guidence.

Now onto the next problem. :biggrin2:

All the text changes have been going fine but now for some reason, where the date and time sit in the box up in the top right corner of the screen is now blank and i cant find the code/script anywhere that effects that. any ideas?

4. 13,033
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

iirc, the box and clock position are in the xmb_normal_plugin.rco and the clock itself is in the system_plugin.rco. they're both in the main xml (not the text one). clock is under clock and base is the border I think. the clock icon is busy (clock face), busy_short (hour), and busy_long (minute).

edit: btw, I've seen this happen before, and it was caused by using an rco from the wrong firmware.

5. 87
    Xploiting

Xploiting Member

Thats really interesting, i have the boarder and the clock face just not the actual time and date.
    all the rcos im using are just edited versions of the one one my ps3 (take copy from ps3 4.82 DEX) edit and recompile.

6. 13,033
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

not sure. I think "clock" in the main xml (the one you name) is for the digital time:

upload_2020-5-19_1-55-34.png

Xploiting likes this.
  7. 87
    Xploiting

Xploiting Member

You were right.
    All fixed. Thanks @pinky

pinky likes this.
  8. 87
    Xploiting

Xploiting Member

Hey guys,

Back with another question...
    Im following the tutorial on editing the icontxt file and ive REALLY confused myself on step 3 with the HEX headers. I just dont get what I'm supposed to do.

Do I have to search the first part, for example 78 DA EC, and copy that line of the hex (78 DA EC 9D 07 5C 53 D9 D6 B7 FF 09 5D A5 A3 82) into a new hex file. Then press F3 and do the same with the next string and make ny way through the whole file, then move onto the next?

anyone that can help me through this would be a hero :chuncky:

Also the download link in the tutorial is not working, so wonderd if there any other souce io get the files needed.

thanks in advance

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  9. 13,033
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

http://www.mediafire.com/file/n74xg80dakfuf8f/ITD.rar/file

no, copy from the first line in hex of the image all the way to last line before the next icon. 78 DA indicates that it's zlib compression, so you'll always see that in ps3 files with that compression. I thought the third hex byte might be important, but I don't think it is anymore.

Xploiting likes this.
  10. 7,529
    sandungas

There is no need to modify the QRC files manualy anymore, just use this tool https://www.psx-place.com/threads/x...cts-of-the-xmb-is-now-easier-then-ever.28804/

Algol and Xploiting like this.
  11. 87
    Xploiting

Xploiting Member

OK so last question, When working with the .rco files and rcomage, I've noticed that even though im only changing letters from lower case to upper case and compiling them the file size is nearly twice the size as the origonal, which i know will give me a hard time trying to put them all back on the PS3 due to amout of space on the flash.

So do you use Zlib or am i dont something wrong as I woudlnt have thought simple text editing would caulse that much of an increase in size.

12. 13,033
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

not sure about the file size increasing that much, but upper and lower case are considered different. it's even different in the xmb where one one of them is shown after z of the other if alphabetizing content. I had to rename several games to get them in the right order due to that as well as some games using II for part 2 and 3 for part 3. it's pretty much a mess.

zlib compression is what the system uses. I think it's compression is always level 9 or best by default, so there may be nothing you can do to improve what you're already getting.

Xploiting likes this.
  13. 87
    Xploiting

Xploiting Member

Thanks as always @pinky. Ill keep playing around and see what I can get size wise.

pinky likes this.
  14. 13,033
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

it's a pita to get everything just right. there's a way to increase the vflash size, but I've never tried it. the guy on psdevwiki made his flash 40GBs. I can't remember if there was any ill effects, but there is that. I don't know much about it other than it being possible.

15. 1,811
    LuanTeles

LuanTeles Senior Member

Civil Engineer
    Home Page:
    Using the rcomage 1.8 i got smaller rcos, from 3mb left on flash(default) now with almost all my modded files, with tons of more images and etc, i have 12MB left now, mine rcos are way smaller than the original ones with a lot of more things inside of it

16. 7,529
    sandungas

In the "Compile" tab of rcomageGUI you need to enable the option "header compression = zlib"

Algol likes this.
  17. 87
    Xploiting

Xploiting Member

Thanks guys
    Managed to get the files to fit and it's running smooth. I'm still going to check of the dev wiki site to see if I can find the source about increasing the flash size just for my own knowledge.

I've still not figured out the whole icon thing yet haha.

I've managed to extract all n1 through to n70 and diff but when i load up the image in photoshoo it looks like a negative and is upside down.
    Sorry for all the jumping around from one subject to another.

18. 13,033
    pinky

pinky Retired Developer

that's the way they look on the computer. I extracted all of them in that link I sent you. making new images isn't too difficult, but it's time consuming.

Xploiting likes this.
  19. 87
    Xploiting

Xploiting Member

I saw that you had etracted them, thank you. I just wanted to make sure I understood the process behind it as I would sooner learn than be given (although I keep asking how with you haha)

I will revisit the tutorial and carry on now I know the files are right.

Again thank you. I know how much of your time these forum can take so I appreciate you taking the time to keep answering!

pinky likes this.
  20. 7,529
    sandungas

As far i remember you are not going to find much info in wiki about which firmware files are candidates to be deleted (to recover some flash space), i mean... there is many info in wiki about some files and by reading it you could deduce if the file is critical or not... but instead of that is better to take a look at this, @DeViL303 was making experiments about that and at some point released a PKG that does a cleanup
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/release-minus-18-mb-v1-00-dev_flash-free-space-adjuster.23775/

The PKG is intended for people that just wants to install another mod, but they doesnt wants to mess around with flash manually, but for someone like you who is playing with the firmware files the best thing you can do is to take a look at what he did, and only select a few files from the complete list
    You know... probably is enought to delete a few of the biggest files and forget about lot others that are small
    Yeah is tricky, we had a lot of fun/pain while implementing support for this special DDS image types in XForge
    This worths a bit longer explaination, im going to try to explain how XForge works and i hope this will give you a basic understanding about how to deal with this DDS image type
    https://www.psx-place.com/threads/x...now-easier-then-ever.28804/page-3#post-244184

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 7:28 PM
    Xploiting likes this.