PS1 PSIO problems

Discussion in 'General PS1 Discussion' started by Grahf, Sep 21, 2019.

1. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

Information is the key. People believed the 99.8% number because there was little to none legit info about PSIO on the net. It's important to call out bullshit like this.

Maybe now they will really put more effort into the testing, especially after making money from selling the carts.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    sp193 likes this.
  2. 1,385
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

AFAIK, 99.8% was and is an imaginary number, based on the theory that the device could actually accurately feed the drive-controller and thus a superhigh compatibility should be possible in theory!

Clearly it does not live up to that goal in real life though...!

Edit: AFAIR that percentage was even first dropped on psx-scene.com in the PSIO-Thread!

Algol likes this.
  3. 2
    Buddy

Buddy Forum Noob

Just a heads up to anyone out there considering buying a PSIO directly from the developers... I purchased one back in October of 2019 which took nearly 2 months to arrive. After soldering in the switchboard correctly and exactly as specified in the instructions included with the device I found the unit to be defective, as it never displayed anything but the PSIO title screen. No PS1 boot screen, no menu, no nothing. After testing on multiple systems with multiple configurations of SD cards, formatting etc. I posted my issue on the PSIO support website. No response for over 2 weeks.

At that point I was now out over $100 and hours of my time with nothing to show for it but a useless piece of plastic. At this point I initiated a chargeback with my bank as it was my only recourse to get my money back. Just yesterday Matt from Cybdyn Systems contacted me about the chargeback. After a series of childish back and forth emails from Matt he flat out called me a liar and added me to his "List of Scammers." (See below) His solution to the issue was that I send my defective cartridge back to him and he keeps it and I get nothing! Buyer beware! Do not deal directly with these people. If you want a PSIO buy it from an online shop or a reseller. I hope this helps someone avoid this same situation.

"You can send the cartridge back, but since the chargeback is outstanding, I will keep the cartridge to compensate for our loss and no refund will be issued. You've scammed us and are bending the rules to your conditions. It doesn't work like that so good luck with your cartridges."

Regards,
    - Matt (Cybdyn Systems).

https://ps-io.com/list-of-scammers/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2020
  4. 2
    Buddy

Buddy Forum Noob

It seems like there are a lot of problems with the PSIO, poor customer service not withstanding. It's too bad there isn't a true ODE for the PS1 that actually replaces the CD-ROM. I'd be ok with not buying discs anymore...

5. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

It's not just buying the discs. PS1's CD-ROM was a bad design from the get-go. It's a nightmare to put up with its grinding and games which stream a lot of data wear it down fast.

My one and only complaint about PSIO is the unspecified game compatibility. We simply do not know how many games are actually working from start to finish. See the problems reported by PSIO users in the last few months. It doesn't look like the updates are doing a good job of fixing games. Some are fixed, others stay broken, and there's always some new broken ones reported after an update. That's not professional in the slightest. Something like that is acceptable with a free open-source project, not a commercial product claiming 99.8% compatibility.

6. 1,602
    Coldheart2236

Coldheart2236 Moderator

@Grahf Comparing any forum member, not to mention a German, to Goebbels is in very poor taste. Let's keep this nice and civil please; this is a mature environment, so any petty squabbles aren't welcome. This goes for everyone involved, so let's keep this thread decent and civil :)

TnA likes this.
  7. 80
    gmipf

gmipf Member

Thanks for your reports. I was really considering buying the PSIO. Fortunately, I bought tons of Taiyo Yuden discs cheap as a reserve.

8. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

Use the Taiyo Yuden discs for now, but keep an eye on the PSIO project. They are working on it. It might get better compatiblity at some point. It just that right now there are many problems with various games.

gmipf likes this.
  9. 2,670
    Berion

Berion Developer

Isn't Taiyo Yuden was sold to CMC Magnetics? The same CMC Magnetics which are famous of low quality?

10. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

He must mean the old Taiyo Yuden stock. Discs manufactured by CMC are under the CMC Pro brand.

Berion likes this.
  11. 80
    gmipf

gmipf Member

I have first bought 2x 50x pack 700mb new old stock thermal printable from Ebay. Then found pretty cheap 600x pack 650mb silver glossy photo printable discs in Japan.

The part number of the 600 pack is: CDR74SPY600SK

The MID of the 650mb discs is: 97m24s01f (Taiyo Yuden Co.)

EDIT:

I also bought the Plextor PX-716SA to burn discs at 4x speed in CLV mode. Newer burners doesn't support these modes. I have read in some forums writing with 4x speed or less and in CLV mode is better for creating higher quality copies. It was also recommended to use 650mb discs because these old consoles disc drives were made for 650mb media.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  12. 281
    ElGris

ElGris Member

@Buddy People should sue them for treating customers like that, and for selling a fraud. Because the shit they're selling is not what they say it is, and people that bought it have prove of that. On top of that, they call you "scammer". Beautiful.

The US is a serious country, you people could make them pay gud.

13. 281
    ElGris

ElGris Member

Those discs are green right? Green discs are cancer for the PS1, and from my experience, I recommend you the thinner dics you can get, those run better than the other ones that are thicker. If you already knew this, just ignore what I said.

14. 80
    gmipf

gmipf Member

Taiyo Yuden are Cyan, something between green and blue. Never tried them on PSX, only used Verbatim AZO discs on PSX several years ago. What are possible symptoms if I use green discs on the PSX? Maybe I will try it. Tell me any problematic game to playback please.

15. 2,670
    Berion

Berion Developer

Colour doesn't matter. Some die type reflect better, some not but all be readable and laser wearing is marginal from that if even. Most important thing are Jitter and C1 and C2 errors. Keep jitter possibly constant and errors as lowered as possible and nothing bad will happen.

TnA likes this.
  16. 80
    gmipf

gmipf Member

I know it doesn't matter. It has to do with the material used in the manufacture and how good the resulting reflection is. But I want to test them now with a difficult to read game. I know one game was really difficult to read(FF7 PAL). On some discs it wasn't possible to boot. But I don't want to burn that game...

17. 2,670
    Berion

Berion Developer

Difficult to read are all games which often swapping graphics in VRAM (maybe some racing titles?).

FF7 in PAL is secured by LibCrypt. It is possible that just "modchip" timing for patching is to short and that's why sometimes it doesn't boot. Just guessing. Most (if not all) NTSC-U games are not secured by LibCrypt.

18. 80
    gmipf

gmipf Member

Yes LibCrypt, I forgot about that. I had to patch some games using patches from gamecopyworld. Weird that it was only a PAL thing.

19. 2,670
    Berion

Berion Developer

I'm not an expert but long ago my friend said those patches are made in dirty way (I don't know any details, so...). Do You have microcontroller installed? I have in those times Mayumi Stealth and works with backups with bad CRC16.

20. 80
    gmipf

gmipf Member

I think on my now working unit is an older style modchip without stealth mode. I have another one with stealth mode but dead laser.

EDIT:

As far as I understand there are perfect dumps now in the wild with the right sub channel data for the Libcrypt protection. Maybe available in one of those redump collections. I had once read a tutorial about how to burn the Libcrypt games in a right way without the need for dirty patches and stealth mode modchips.

I' am not interested in PAL games anyway because how wrong they run. I only want to play 60Hz games. I still need to mod my PAL PSX to run NTSC games correctly.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020