PS1 PSIO problems

Discussion in 'General PS1 Discussion' started by Grahf, Sep 21, 2019.

1. 2,888
    Berion

Berion Developer

I'm not sure if LibCrypt can be recreated on backup disc. Those checksums always will be zeroed as none of the burners write subchannels Q to CD-R. But I could be wrong of course, it was so many years passed.

ReDump dumps doesn't have subchannels. They are in separated files like *.sub,*.lsd or *.sbi.
    https://github.com/Kippykip/SBITools

2. 80
    gmipf

gmipf Member

I think it is possible when writing disc in RAW-DAO 96 mode. But ImgBurn doesn't support it (on purpose, as confirmed by dev). You need to Burn with CloneCD or Alcohol 120%.

3. 357
    ElGris

ElGris Member

@gmipf Hmm.. I know those cyan discs are the worst just because they are cheaper than the green ones haha. I don't remember using a game on my PSone burned on one of those. I always took good care of my console, and it still has its original laser. What I mentioned before is related to the capability of reading backups my PSone had at the time when it wasn't brand new anymore. You know, laser life span is shorter and you need to start to using CDs in a really good condition, cleaning the lens laser, etc. In those conditions, I had to see which CDs were better to be readable, the blank original ones were the BEST option always, never had a problem with CDs like those in my console. Then you have the OG black ones, I can't say much about them because hadn't more than one of those, and never had a problem with it. But the problems start with the green ones and the different brands I tested that were sold in my country. What I can say about that is that the thinner ones always ran good, and the thicker ones nope. And I'm referring to crashes in loading screens, black screens, no booting after the Sony logo, music stuttering, etc. The common syntoms when the laser is about to die.

How I know green CDs are bad for the laser? They run worse than the blank ones and with time, you will see that the laser is not gonna read it like it used to. While the blank runs always the same.

Why thin and not thick? Ask my laser haha. It would refuse to read thick ones after a while, and that's, in my opinion, because the laser has to make more effort to read it. I'm not an expert, I'm just telling you what I know ^^

If I had problems with certain backups? Maybe, don't remember just now which game, but I do remember that I fixed a non bootable game using a different burner software, like CloneCD, Alcohol120% (maybe?), and PowerISO (the best).

4. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

You can't sue them for the requirement of sending back the cart to Australia if you want a refund and/or replacement. It's in their terms and it's generally considered a normal practice for small businesses.

People could sue them for false advertising right now, though. 99,8% compatibility is being advertised, when in reality it's very problematic with many games. Unless they fix this soon, it's really looking grim.

What I found funny is that they are actually working on DCIO now. I wonder who's going to buy their next product when the current one is not working as they had promised?

5. 80
    gmipf

gmipf Member

@ElGris: Maybe the cyan discs you had got where the worst, but it is not the color, important is the Manufacturer, the MID. How do you know you had original discs? There where several black discs but they are not "original". They are still CD-Rs and different from the original CD-ROM manufactured by Sony.

6. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

Those disc made for PS1 are actually deep blue, not black.

It doesn't matter, though. Sony used it only to distinguish PS1 dics. Some late PS1 re-issues use regular CDs. Chrono Cross Greatest Hits is an example of this.

7. 80
    gmipf

gmipf Member

To me it is pretty black. But PS2 CD-ROMs are deep blue. Interesting, I've never seen PS1 software on regular CD-ROMs.

8. 341
    Grahf

Grahf Member

That's an optical illusion. They are deep blue and you need a strong light source to see its real color.

Yeah, silver PS1 discs were made late in PS1's life, at least the late printings of Square Enix PS1 games.

9. 1,512
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

...and there are some silver PS2 CD games as well!

I have 2 of these from Midas games/interactive! Daemon Summoner was one of them! I got them from LIDL, lol!

10. 357
    ElGris

ElGris Member

I only can say that discs that are not blank are bad for the laser. And that's a fact that I have since many years ago, first with a fat PSX, and then with a PSone. Obviously, all depends of quality here, but like I said before, I recommend you to buy just the thinner ones.
    And about the black discs, I used to try these:

http://psxplanet.ru/imagehost/uploads/Official UK PlayStation Magazine CD Disk 108 (SCED-04134).jpg

11. 1,512
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

I've got the disc (just like 101), but no package sadly...