PS2 Question about WinHiip...

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by SoloNoco, Sep 7, 2019.

1. 683
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

This can be really useful, thanks!

Tupakaveli likes this.
  2. 1,061
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Just to round some info (regarding the apps) up:

• HDL Dump/Dumb is obsolete IMO.
    • WinHIIP is nice but has some issues like the game-limit, some fragmentation-stuff and might try to patch an image!
    • HDL Dump Helper GUI is a great tool and except for the missing batch-install really good!
    • HDL Game Installer is great as well and allows games to be installed via various ways.
    Btw.: @Peppe90 It is not mbps, but M(i)Bps! That's 8x as fast...
    ...and... AFAIR he uses his own protocol and not FTP!

Peppe90 likes this.
  3. 246
    Tupakaveli

Tupakaveli VIP PSX-Place Supporter

HDL Dumb is good for one purpose.

The partition names can't have the same first 22 characters. When I come to installing a game that has the same first 22 characters as another game I use HDL Dumb to install it because it will insert the Game ID at the start of the partition name but the display name can remain the same.

jolek and TnA like this.
  4. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

Thanks @TnA, that breakdown of the installation programs really puts things into perspective for me!

That was one of the things that confused me, all the HDL Dumb/Dump/Gui/Game Installer, I kept getting them confused.

I've got access to the laptop today (no longer have my own, this is the only thing I really need one for) so I'm going to use one of my ExcelStor drives & install 2 games per program.

I'll install 1 game that's been know to cause issues, & 1 game that's been known to work well immediately. Then I'll note down my results, and from that I'll pick which program worked the best for me (or whichever had the most useful features for me) & continue from there :)

It all kinda hinges on so many things though doesn't it?

PS2 model
    Network Adapter model
    HDD model
    Installation program version
    FMCB version
    Windows version
    OPL version

I've even heard of people getting better results when they tighten the screws on the network adapter to push the metal plates back more & then screw it tightly to the console.

Sometimes it makes my head spin :'(

Anyways thanks again everyone, without all of you guys I'd probably be extracting all 230 images off my HDD right about now, to retrieve 69GB that never existed in the first place, ahahaha :D :D

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Tupakaveli likes this.
  5. 683
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

When I mention HDL dump I always refer to HDL dump gui (I used the 2.3 version for installing my games 4 years ago) or HDL dumX, not old versions.
    So it's not mega bytes per second?? Strange, by the time it takes extracting (at about 5,5) it seemed to me a 5,5 mega bytes per second speed :eek:

6. 382
    RandQalan

RandQalan Moderator

@Peppe90 I was wonder why he said old maybe he never heard about that one

7. 683
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

You must never tight the screws too much! They strip very easilly (check on the original network adaptor's instruction manual). I stripped the screws of 2 gamestar NA…

Best thing to do with Gamestar NAs is to cut the metal plate (with metal scissors) in some points, then it will fit like a original one, all the way and very easilly (putting the ps2 upside down, you shouldn't be able to se the NA metal plate, it should be perfectly adherent to the Ps2).

The screws are for a matter of safety in case you move the Ps2, just to keep the NA from being loose. I screw them with the screwdriver but just until I feel they take old.

Attached Files:

8. 1,061
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

HDL Dump GUI also exists and is veeery old!
    Please post the exact names in future! There is only one HDL Dump Helper GUI, tho'.

Yes, it is Megabytes (or more specifically Mebibytes) per second.... What did you write? 'mbps'! Keeping the prefix small does NOT refer to Megabyte, but Megabit (which is only 1/8th of a Megabyte)!

You are causing confusion, if you are not exact on these things!

Peppe90 likes this.
  9. 382
    RandQalan

RandQalan Moderator

TnA likes this.
  10. 683
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Yes probably he used a old version. However they're all HDL dump, just different revisions/configurations. Afaik HDL dump helper GUI v2 is actually HDL dump 0.9.0 with the addition of a more complete GUI and functions (like the one to shut-off the Ps2 after all jobs are done when installing/extracting via network, very useful).

TnA and RandQalan like this.
  11. 382
    RandQalan

RandQalan Moderator

forgot to mention will just like SP193 version install min opl for booting on browser with PSBBN installed works with browser with HDDOSD110U_A4_KHNHDD feels like Official this way

12. 683
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Ok, no problem

I didn't even know the uppercase matters, I usually see Mbit/s or Mb/s refferring to mega bit per second. So my fault, just a misunderstanding.
    I meant MBps :encouragement:

TnA likes this.
  13. 1,061
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

Regarding the GameStar-Adapter:

NOOOO! Please do NOT cut anything or tighten the screws too much!

The adapter matches into the ExpansionBay, if you know how to correctly fit it to the PS2!!!
    I tried it with 8 adapters now and I am kean to say... (Sorry, but...) Those people who have a gap between the adapter and a PS2 are just too freakin' stupid to correctly attach the thing (I am such an asshole, lol)!!!

You need a bit force (unlike an original Sony NWA which easily and perfectly 'slides in') and have to attach it at either the top or the bottom first (so NOT parallel) and then the rest will slide into the ExpansionBay as well!

15680312646327637500034217394139.jpg
    You see...?!? I don't have this freakin' big 5mm-gap at the bottom!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    RandQalan likes this.
  14. 1,061
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

@Peppe90 Yes, BOTH is common!

MBit/s & mbps
    MB/s & MBps

We can refer to those with a forward-slash tho' (to avoid confusion)! ;)

Peppe90 likes this.
  15. 683
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

...I'll take that as a compliment

The NA will work this way too (I used it so for a years and never had problems, but many people do...). The gap is like that for all people, never heard of a 5mm one.
    Btw if you cut the metal sheet in 2 places, you'll correct that gap 100%. The NA will fit easilly and will be 100% adherent exactly as the og one ;)

TnA likes this.
  16. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

Here's mines... The gap looks alot bigger in the picture than it does in real life, but that's as tight as I can get it, without putting insane pressure on the screws. I like to leave it a tiny bit of play on the screws, once I feel it securely in.

What are the kind of issues one could face if they're not in correctly? I mean apart from the HDD not being picked up, what would the benefits be of having it loose, compared to having it tight?

I heard on one forum, a guy was having game crashes, and the answer was to tighten the screws, & if I remember correctly, he said it fixed the issue... I would have expected, if all of the pins aren't touching correctly, the HDD would just fail to initialise in the first place...

Also off topic, since I switched to my 1TB drive, alot of the games that worked perfectly on my 160GB drive, now need compatibility modes & UDMA changes to run (I've found UDMA 3 to fix so many of them it's insane) could this be due to the NA connection, or is my new HDD too new, & possibly spinning a little too fast, so UDMA 3 is feeding the data a little slower & in-turn fixing the issue?[​IMG]

TnA likes this.
  17. 1,061
    TnA

TnA Senior Member

TBH... If we were doing it fully correctly, it would be 'Mebibyte per second' and 'Mebibit per second', lol! :D

Regarding 'old'... Well, yes there have been updates, but the new versions are not intercompatible between versions/revisions of the server and the client and also incompatible with some of the old GUIs which have no Helper' in their name aaaand it is the oldest tool (even WinHIIP is based on it!), so I stand corrected that this is (not) old! :D

RandQalan likes this.
  18. 246
    Tupakaveli

Tupakaveli VIP PSX-Place Supporter

If the Network Adapter is too loose you risk blowing the PS9 fuse on the mainboard.

TnA, Peppe90 and RandQalan like this.
  19. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

I think mines already bust! Isn't that the vibration regulator thing?

To be honest though, it was already bust when I brought the PS2. I thought it was the controller but after buying another one, & having that one not working too, it became clear. It became even clearer when I brought a Slim PS2, and all vibration functionality returned.

I need to buy a multimetre & get the soldering iron out, because playing games without vibration is no fun. I'm dredding doing it though.

TnA likes this.
  20. 382
    RandQalan

RandQalan Moderator

Yea fast HDD access can cause problems have you tried mode 2 or mode 1 both together use to fix most skipping problems by fast access

Tupakaveli and TnA like this.