PS2 Question about WinHiip...

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by SoloNoco, Sep 7, 2019.

1. 26
    dekkit

dekkit Member

You'll be fine, and the voltages wont matter as much as long as the Amps are correct (as the voltages will be similar enough across ps2 mainboards and fuses are rated to handle a range of voltages).

Best of luck with it!

2. 681
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

I think it's not possible to fit less than 300 games. Check this video for example:

That guy has some DVD-9 games like God of war 1 & 2, Gran Turismo 4, Yakuza 2 (some of the guitar hero too could be DVD-9, I know there are some, but I'm not a expert of that series) and a lot of +4gb games (366 games in total).
    He has a bunch of cover arts/themes as you can see, FHDB installed on the HDD. And I'm not even sure he completely filled up the HDD.

3. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

@Peppe90 You're completely right! I should be able to fit more games! I started shrinking some of them with USBUtil 2.0 & wow the results are insane!

Ofcourse some games remained pretty much the same size so I didn't even put them through the process, but for instance 'Gauntlet Seven Sorrows' was 4.3GB, it got reduced to... 1GB insanity.

If I carried on the way I was going, I would have capped at about 300, but now I can see 350 being a real possibility!

Now it's just a matter of extracting, shrinking & re-installing, which is long & annoying .

Also I noticed, compatability modes completely changed when shrunk, for instance I shrunk 4 games, but installed both the shrunk & original versions...

Fifa Street 2 -

(Original - Worked perfectly)

(Shrunk - Needed modes 1 & 6 to run otherwise I got a black screen)

Spy Vs Spy -

(Original - Untested atm)

(Shrunk - Made it crash on intro logos, modes gave me a black screen, UDMA 3, got me to the main menu & then crashed on new game, UDMA 2 had it working perfectly, played it for 30 minutes).

Gauntlet Seven Sorrows (this was an odd one) -

(Original - Crashed on the first loading screen)

(Shrunk - Ran perfectly, without any issues, but I noticed the loading screen which consists of an object spinning, didn't look as smooth, it was a bit jolty, compared to the original which was smooth but obviously didn't get past that screen).

& Rogue Ops

(Original - Untested)

(Shrunk - Kept crashing on different parts, different modes made it better, some made it worse, UMDA 2 made it better but it still crashed, so I thought I'd reduce the speed as close to DVD-ROM speed as possible, and set it to MDMA 0, which worked, been perfect ever since).

Anyway apologies for the essay ese's, telling you all stuff you probably knew 5 years ago I'm just hyped, maybe next I'll test if shrinking them on the other 2 modes (not EXTREME) would work better/have different results... Interesting stuff!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Peppe90 likes this.
  4. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

@dekkit Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind. For now I've opted to just use my Dualshock 3, with a long USB cable & configure PADEMU's, because I realised the vibration is all in house with wireless controllers (plus I prefer DS3 tbh mainly for the R2 & L2) I'm not sure if ignoring the blown fuse is bad on my part, but it's been blown since I brought the PS2 which was like 2 years ago, so I'm hoping it will stay okay until I put effort into fixing it :)

5. 681
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Thank you for testing :encouragement:
    Be careful with the shrinking btw. I'm not much expert, I use it only one time just for testing, but I know some games won't work after shrinking. It happened to me with Siren 2 (it freezes in a precise point in the first or second mission, don't remember precisely).
    I was testing from USB.

SoloNoco likes this.
  6. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah Siren 2 is huge man, like 5 - 8GB (can't remember, just remember being shocked when I saw the size) I think I'm gonna avoid shrinking any DL games to be honest, all I've heard is bad things. Plus I only have about 6 DL games & as much as I'd like to chop em' in half, I know they're pretty annoying games to configure, so ima just leave them.

Also CD games are already pretty small as is, so I think I'll just focus on the DVD5's for now, which I have plenty of.

First I'm gonna look at the ones that have been tried & tested on a list from ps2-home.com, then I'll go nuts & start shrinking ones blindly, I'll write down all my results as usual, & probably add them to a list somewhere, sometime in the future.

I'm definitely gonna take into account what you said about games crashing further in though, I'll just have to start testing games further, speedrunning through levels to see if I come to a halt.

It's exciting though man, seeing a game that's like 4GB, get chopped into a quarter & still running, I looked up this stuff before & again recently when it was linked to me in this forum, but I was put off a little when I heard about shrinking, with the method of removing all Fmv's/cutscenes & another method where you scale the fmv/cutscene quality down by like 30 percent, but man this method is great for me, because it doesn't seem to have much of an effect on quality, & once the modes are up an running, it seems golden!

Peppe90 likes this.
  7. 681
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Make sure to always use 8MB memory cards (either real MCs and VMCs) when testing. Certain games have problems with bigger MCs, like slowdowns/stuttering on menu (Metal Arms) or freezing before the MC check (007 AUF).

Algol likes this.
  8. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

Thanks brother, I already got that one under control ;) aha.

I couldn't find much information, but I remembered reading something before about certain games not supporting MC's bigger than 8mb, so I've made a system, rather than make a dedicated memory card for each game, which will take up way too much space, I'm setting memory cards alphabetically, so like...

All games beginning with numbers or the letter A, get a MC called '0A' & I have a lot of games beginning with the letter B, so I made a memory card for all them called B. Not many games for letters 'UVWXYZ' so all of them games save to a MC called UVWXYZ

So therapeutic doing this stuff

Peppe90 likes this.
  9. 681
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Good way to have all set up :encouragement:
    I just create one VMC and save on it every game I play. When it's full I create another one (obviously I make sure to save certain games series on the same VMC, I mean the ones that check if you played the previous game and unlock something or so, like some Dragon Ball games).

Algol and SoloNoco like this.
  10. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

Ah man I completely forgot about that!

I think Silent Hill 3 has a moment where it checks for SH2 save data & you see something different if you have it. I think my system will still work though, seeing as all the SH games will start with the same letter & save to the same MC

Although some letters like T & S have so many games that I'll probably have to do an 'S1' & an 'S2' so I'm not allocating too many games to 1 MC.

Hey man, I've been extracting so many games to shrink, & so many of them can only save about 20mb. :'( Which if you do for every game would amount to like 5GB saved, but to be honest, I don't think it would be worth the effort, shrinking, then re-installing, deleting the originals & re-testing :'( just for 20mb a game...

11. 246
    Tupakaveli

Tupakaveli VIP PSX-Place Supporter

That might not even save you any space though...

Like sp193 said, the partitions are allocated in multiples of 128MiB. So if the size of your game is just over a multiple of 128MiB, the size of the partition will be rounded up.

Same thing with small CD based games. The minimum partition size is 128MiB, so say you have a CD based game that is only 50MiB, the size of the partition will still be 128MiB.

SoloNoco and Algol like this.
  12. 28
    SoloNoco

SoloNoco Forum Noob

Damn I never even thought about that! I feel alot better now, the ocd in me was screaming "just shrink em' all" but you're right! What an oversight :'(

Tupakaveli likes this.