PS3 [Attempt] Restoring XMB UI of Firmware 1.00 - 2.70 to 4.84+

Discussion in 'XMB Modifications' started by Danxx444, Sep 7, 2019.

1. 6,891
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    No, it always changed depending on month too.

See this thread from 2007

https://hardforum.com/threads/ps3-changing-dashboard-color.1183100/

diegogta4 likes this.
  2. 701
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

3. 6,891
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    You are on HEN though yes? I could be wrong but I think the only way would be a sprx patch, so if its possible it will most likely be CFW only.

4. 701
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

Yes..i'm a HEN user... how about remove the sparkles in the lines.qrc ?

5. 6,891
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Yeah you could try that. I have never modified lines.qrc so don't know what is possible there.

6. 701
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

Yeah I already tried to modify the lines.qrc..but I got very confused. The only ones I know that do this are @ pinky, @sandungas, and @Cypher_CG89.

7. 701
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

So from what I've seen in some information ... the black wave was just a color that could be chosen just like the others. But I think it's hard to bring it back that way.......unless.....since the only visual difference was just the sparkles. Maybe checking the firmware 2.00-2.80 wave settings, it might be possible to add back to black color on the current wave. So that it can be chosen like the other colors.
    Take a look in this video:

8. 2,649
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    To disable the particles simply change the"Global Alpha Float" settings inside of the particles.MNU file from 1 to 0 inside the lines.qrc file.

NO sprx patch is needed> will work on CFW, HEN<without HEN enabled.

Infact you can more or less make the particles do whatever you want from inside the lines.qrc file for what ever> ie... coldboot, gameboot, xmb, media player etc... basically any environment for the PS3 without any SPRX patches needed at all so will work on any PS3.

An SPRX patch to this would mean every wave installed would behave this way and this is not a good thing for some of the custom waves out there as they have already had there setting modded for this reason so it could make the lines.qrc file be unstable or behave in irratic ways, cause glitches etc as some already do this anyways as they have been pushed to the limits so adding more would be like adding fuel to fire at times.

You could change one of the monthly backgrounds, say pink... with black.. so when you select pink fron the XMB theme settings it will be black instead of pink... I tend to have the waves backgrounds all one colour> either blue or black> so the colour does not change from month to month as this drives me up the wall... if I set it to a colour I want it to be the same colour all over... not just the XMB> so for this you would just remove all the monthly colours an replace them with the color you want it to be all the time.

Danxx444 and sandungas like this.
  9. 6,891
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Well that is handy for HEN users. Nice one.

For CFW users an sprx patch is very effective. The "unstable or behave in irratic ways" if done with a sprx patch sounds interesting as there might be something to learn there. but is not my experience here. As its disabled at a higher level than the qrc this means the qrc will not even try to load the particles.mnu no matter what the internal qrc settings, this can be handy too as you can use any wave independently of the particle setting.

10. 701
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

Interesting..but the idea of breaking the background color change according to the month, was that I thought the firmwares before 3.00 did not have this feature ... but thanks to @diegogta4 this was clarified ... now the necessary just remove the sparkles from every possible place..and if necessary..make a setting on the current "Original theme" (waves with sparkles)to make it equal to the "original theme" 2.00 -2.80 waves (black waves) ... because what they did was replace the black wave and add the sparkles.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    diegogta4 likes this.
  11. 2,649
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Change the colour that is now in the originals place and replace it with black, change "Global Alpha Float" from 1 to 0 in all the particles.MNU files in "override" except from gameboot2< this was the only place the particles appeared originally.

Danxx444 likes this.
  12. 5,745
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

There is a color effect related with moths that cant be changed because is unknown where are sored that values, i was talking with @Louay in some forum threads about it, he made a few experiments but no luck

The problem is (additionally to the monthy background) every month have a predefined "color filter" (i dont know the official codename, i been calling it "color filter" or things like that, but not sure)
    That color filter affects several elements of the XMB... like the sidemenu (the menu at right usually opened when pressing triangle), also all the icons itself "inherits" that color
    And i wonder if it affects the wave too <--- this is very important to know for what you need to achieve

Is not just a matter of replacing the image, inside the rcoxml there are some values that indicates his position and size
    The original images are a long horizontal rectangle, and the image you want is a big square
    If you replace the image but dont replace the position and size values the XMB is going to stretch it to fill the area where it was displayed the original. In other words, your image will be very deformed and ugly

*Also, we dont have full freedom to choose fully custom values for sizes or positions... there is a list with 5000 values or so (the XMB layout TXT files i was talking about some posts back in this thread), we are free to load any of that values, in this case this restriction doesnt affects much though... to create a square is needed to find a value (something around 500) and load it for sizeX and sizeY, that would display it as an square... also is needed to create an squared image of the logo at that same exact size

Agree, i know about that names years ago, but it looks like my brain cant store that info, lol... and im proud of it, it looks my "brain manteinance system" is working fine and doesnt stores crap, lol
    Are some of the worst names, not intuitive at all, maybe in japanese have different names and makes more sense but for other languages it doesnt

*In japanese there is a font style named "gothic" (not sure if is the "pop" style or one the others)... again i cant imagine wtf hey was thinking when they decided to call that font "gothic"

Danxx444 likes this.
  13. 36
    diegogta4

diegogta4 Member

Thanks for the menssion bro!
    Having the original theme over the particles theme would be great! So being able to choose the theme according to the months originally and for those who like the black xmb that I also find amazing!

Enviado de meu SM-J600GT usando o Tapatalk

Danxx444 likes this.
  14. 701
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

:encouragement: ;)

diegogta4 likes this.
  15. 701
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

On second thought ... it is better not to change the "Original" but to change the "Classic" instead of the other..then would be better ... we would have "original" (without sparkles) and that changes according to the month and the "classic" with black wave. this will be better .... unless even changing the "original" you can still choose colors ...

16. 701
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

To better understand what the change they made, just compare the two files side by side: the firmware wave 2.xx and the current firmware wave..so ... it is better to understand the changes.

17. 701
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

Oh..okay then

18. 701
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

I think they haven't changed much ... the only problem is that before, choosing the "Original" theme with the black wave..not only changed in the user XMB but in the whole system .... on the other hand If you chose any of the colors, it would be as if you were choosing for the system to change the background color according to the month ... from the color you chose. Very confusing but I think it worked like that.

19. 701
    Danxx444

Danxx444 Member

@sandungas I know you know (I think), but I think it's interesting to mention.

On impose_plugin.rco has xml codes assigned to the clock files (or loading icon) and their animation.

I don't know if it exists only in these two rco's or if it has in any others too, but it sounds interesting to know.

20. 5,745
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I know, the ones inside impose_plugin.rco are for a buttonbar and circle and cross buttons, there is a page in psdevwiki with all the animations used in official PS3 firmwares (and one example from PSP firmware using an infinite loop for the battery charging)
    https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/RCOXML_ofw_animations

All them are very simple effects, are good to take a look at them as an introduction of how it works but there is not much creativity in them, the most complex are the coldboot and gameboot