Average temp of ps3 super slim

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by crspypotatochips, May 2, 2019.

1. 7,064
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Jeez I thought you were finally going to actually do what you keep saying and stop replying to this topic that you have no interest in..but here you are again... :)
    If you had not noticed YOU are the ONLY one arguing in the face of facts while providing no facts yourself. Says it all.

Your right, not sure why anyone thought that facts and science had a place on a forum like this. :-p

If I did not know better, I would guess that you believe consoles have a pre destined life span that is set when they come off the production line, and that temperature can have no effect on that so 70 degrees or 60 degrees makes no difference.

I completely get it, you don't care if your console runs at 60 degrees or 70 degrees, and that is fairly normal...That makes you the same as 90% of other console users so congrats on that, you went with the majority, and if this was a vote your side would have won. :)

BUT the FACTS simply don't care about your feelings or opinions, it literally makes no difference.

For anyone who is interested here are a few more links. The fact that heat is the main enemy of computers is undisputed as far as I know (apart from the big rebel Filipe of course). I could easily find 100 links to support this, I doubt there will be many people agreeing that higher temperature makes no difference.

https://www.ijera.com/papers/Vol7_issue5/Part-5/H0705055257.pdf
    http://www.apiste-global.com/enc/technology_enc/detail/id=1262
    https://thermal-edge.com/how-temperature-control-in-electrical-enclosures-affects-component-life/
    [1] William Vigrass, “Calculation of Semiconductor Failure Rates”, https://www.intersil.com/content/da...alculation_of_semiconductor_failure_rates.pdf (accessed July 2017)
    [2] Ross Wilcoxon, “Advanced Cooling Techniques and Thermal Design Procedures for Airborne Electronic Equipment – Revisited” 2016 IMAPS Thermal Management Advanced Technology Workshop, Los Gatos, CA, October, 2016
    [3] Patrick O’Connor, “Arrhenius and Electronics Reliability”, Quality and Reliability Engineering International, V. 5, N. 255, 1989, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ qre.4680050402/pdf (accessed July 2017)
    [4] Clemens Lasance, “Temperature and reliability in electronics systems – the missing link”, Electronics Cooling Magazine, November 1, 2001; https://electronics-cooling.com/200...lity-in-electronics-systems-the-missing-link/ (accessed July 2017)
    [5] Michael Osterman , “We still have a headache with Arrhenius”, Electronics Cooling Magazine, February 2001; https:// www.electronics-cooling.com/2001/02/we-still-have-a-headache-with-arrhenius/ (accessed July 2017)
    [6] Franck Bayle and Adamantios Mettas, “Temperature Acceleration Models in Reliability Predictions: Justification & Improvements”, “2010 Reliability and Maintainability Symposium,”; San Jose CA, USA; January 2010
    [7] Mark Cooper, “Investigation of Arrhenius Acceleration Factor for Integrated Circuit Early Life Failure Region with Several Failure Mechanisms”, IEEE Trans. on Comp. and Pack. Tech., V. 28, N. 3, September 2005, pp. 561-563
    [8] Jean Yang-Scharlotta , et al., “Reliability Characterization of a Commercial TaOX-based ReRAM”, Integrated Reliability Workshop Final Report (IIRW), 2014 IEEE International, South Lake Tahoe, CA, October 2014
    [9] V.Lakshminarayanan and N.Sriraam, “The Effect of Temperature on the Reliability of Electronic Components”, Electronics, Computing and Communication Technologies (IEEE CONECCT), 2014 IEEE International Conference on; Bangalore, India; February 2014
    [10] George Meyer and Ross Wilcoxon, “Heat Pipe Reliability Testing and Life Prediction”,2015 IMAPS Thermal Management Advanced Technology Workshop; Los Gatos, CA; October, 2015
    [11] P.B. Hugge, “Field results demonstrate reliability gains through improved cooling”, Aerospace and Electronics Conference, 1994. NAECON 1994., Proceedings of the IEEE 1994 National; Dayton, OH; May 1994

I actually find it quite interesting that the effect is so strong. 1 degree must be making a significant measurable difference if 10-15 degrees could half the MTBF.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    wrx884 and Cypher_CG89 like this.
  2. 96
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

i guess we shall see u in the future with ur 4th console ;) good luck mate all the best.

In theory yes but since the 1st gens created more heat etc... the IHS's were actually used to also help keep the BGA's flat. with out them theres too much movement in the motherboard itself and the BGA's with every heat and cooling down cycle over time. Its why they also use a thermal compound on the GPUs rams to also help keep that BGA flat as best they could and same goes with the CPU using a silicon based compound but this BGA didnt get as hot like the GPU's did etc.... later down the track moving onto the super slims and these BGA's used less power they created less heat so u will find they actually did remove 1 of the IHS's in the build.

as long as the thermal compound is doing its job the heat transfer will be just as good thats why its important these kinda topics are to be questioned and answered the way they are.

DeViL303 likes this.
  3. 399
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

When some people have blind faith in something, you cannot change it with reason or logic. Let him be.

DeViL303 likes this.
  4. 7,064
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    Yeah, don't really care what he does. Consoles don't last long at his house by the sounds of it so survival of the fittest I guess. But it becomes a problem when he's advising other people on here that their consoles can not overheat as they just shut down when it's time to redo paste.

Major_Pothead92 likes this.
  5. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Passionate Retro Bastard/Musician
    Home Page:
    TLDR.

My console is very fine and healthy thanks very mucho.

4th Console?
    Nice try.
    We'll talk again in maybe 6-8 years ?
    Cool?
    Good luck with all your delids and thermostats and all that.
    Make sure you don't get a fever.
    In case your PS3 gets too hot, do us a favour.
    Give it some paracetamol or just take it to the doctor, that might help.
    Or maybe yet!
    Don't even switch it on!
    Maybe next time you actually switch it on, you know what?
    YLOD.
    Naice?
    :encouragement:
    :grin:

One laughs at all the amazing encouragement that strangers give to other strangers in order to ''fix'' problems where there aren't any.
    ''70c's too dangerous...'' LMFAO!
    ''Delid your console , it's overheating.''
    Sure it is , Sony's stupid enough to do 4-5 revisions (if not more) of the same bloody console where they all share the same exact specs or maybe you're all confused with the Xbox 360 and you're all in the wrong forum.
    PMSL.
    Have you tried putting some Ice on it for a change while you're at it?
    PMSL!

Pointless! XD
    Keep using all your fans (why not get the big one's too while you're at it? Bonus? :triumphant:), I'll keep using Syscon thanks very much .
    And no I've no temps of 75c's or 80c's even with The Last Of Us (uuuu is such a HEAVY GAME!) ROTFL! XD
    Far from that.
    But that's none of your business now is it?

Let the fruitless arguments continue....
    XD

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  6. 31
    gMemo92

gMemo92 Forum Noob

Is 59c CPU and 52c GPU on a BC PS3 good? Anyone else have a BC PS3? what are your temperatures? I used a best buy thermal paste on this PS3. Insignia thermal paste.

I ran Fallout new vegas / Fallout 3 / Skyrim / Oblivion.

And on PS2 (discs) Gran Turismo 4 and Final Fantasy 12. I got 61c CPU and 54c GPU sometimes the CPU and GPU would go back to 59c and 52c in empty areas. (fan speed 35%)

I don't know why the GPU is lower then on my Non BC PS3's (fan speed 35%). On my other Non BC PS3 fats i get GPU temperatures of 55 - 58c under load with MX4 paste.

I wonder what i did to this BC PS3? Weird.

Maybe it's the fan size on the BC? Or the heatsink with copper pipes? Shoudn't BC PS3's run hotter?

Maybe what thermal paste you use is just a bunch of hooey.

7. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    There's nothing wrong with your console's mate.
    Whatever's going around with your console's that's the way they work.
    Different consoles can behave differently from others and those temps are fine.
    There are ''reports'' of other users giving results of hotter CELL's than RSX and vice-versa.
    I don't see any problem with that as long as there's no excess major differences like +20c in either of them as they work ''on-par'' with each other.
    The temperature room you're in also has an effect on the console's way of working but nevermind..
    The CELL and RSX go up and down in different 'stress' situations so that up and down thing is completely normal again.
    You're way below the maximum safety threshold and your 35% fan speed explains it. (I tested it MYSELF before. Same results. No need for extreme cool downs or extreme heat-ups.).

I can hear it already on my head:
    ''oh no your ps3 is overheating , you have to delid'' LMAO
    Nevermind.
    Just straight on bad advice from other forum strangers.

Now just sit back , relax and enjoy the many different ''expert'' opinions you're gonna get.

8. 7,064
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    I still have my original launch model. still running. I only use it with like 80% fan speed now for occasional tests that require the model, as it needs the paste under IHS done and I have not got around to it. I've a few other PS3's around for now.

Some batches were probably made better than others and if it has not been abused and you have redone the paste you will be fine. Those temps are great. There was a few different fans that make a small difference. Also don't forget while they was reducing the nm of the cpus they were also trying to save money in other ways to reduce the overall cost. So its not like they were making cooling better over time exactly, its just that the CPUs were more efficient and they produced less heat.

Filipe Santos likes this.
  9. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    Correct.

So they thought.
    The superslims give away the same temps as all the others.

understandable.
    Good luck.

10. 7,064
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    No, I woudn't expect you to understand. But that was my whole point, they were saving money on everything else at the same time, so those chips 100% DO produce less heat, but they also have shittier cooling systems so you don't see the benefits in the temperatures.

wrx884 and Filipe Santos like this.
  11. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    just to clear that out , if you do some research about it , different makes of thermal paste have differences of 1,2,3c or so in between them.
    MX-4 is fine anyways.

12. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    Maybe you misurunderstood me and I apologise for that because that wasn't my intention.
    But of course I understand mate , I'm not stupid .
    We are probably sharing here the same point , because if I had the console you have obviously I would be forced to do the same!
    Like I said before I appreciate what all the devs including you do for the PS3 which I love and I'm really glad we're all here , that's what brought us all together , but anyways , I prefer to see my system running well without having to resort to other alternatives unless I have no other choice. But again , that is my choice.
    My system is running in satisfactory conditions , so I don't have to resort to other ways to alter the way the system's working and like I said , I've been playing TLoU intensively with very satisfactory temperatures , with Bioshock Infinity surpassing that game stressing the RSX/Cell a bit tad higher. (No wonder with all those massive visuals and effects , what a great console).

But again , look , I don't expect you to understand this mate but here's the deal to me.
    This temp biz is like pick up your poison.
    Or you sacrifice higher bit temps or you stress the fan higher and console runs cooler.
    But again , Sandungas knows this as you and me do.
    The heat expands and cool retracts.
    If it's the BGA balls you're worried , fair enough.
    Just remember that the console heats up 30c in the first minutes so it's the switch on and offs you should worry about , right?
    You said it yourself :
    ''PC's can last longer if they're not switched off.''
    But not all console's will die of YLOD.
    So if your thing's gonna die mate , it just will , one way or another.
    So and again , I say:
    Pick up your poison.
    Let's just not hope nobody's console die off because I ain't here for that shit.

which bring us to?

Pardon my edits just saving space.

13. 7,064
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    I have a few consoles so just don't use my original one much any more as I know it only has a few years left in it.

I am not forced to do anything, I have done it and here we are 12 years later, now just like your survey of 1 person it means nothing that my console still works but still it has a small chance of being related. I still have my daughters CECH2003 slim here from 2010 too. She has ps4 now for years so I have it all the time and its on a lot. Its my main testing console, been on all day today..

Can you answer this one question, are you just denying completely that temperature plays a part in the life time of electronic components like capacitors/resistors etc, or are you just saying you agree but don't care about it? Because the second one is fine, but the first one is a bit silly but I am guessing you are quite young. :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    wrx884 and Filipe Santos like this.
  14. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    No mate I don't deny the temperature plays a part in the components.
    As far as electricity is concerned , it will always generate heat and of course the components do that , resistors and capacitors and everything else control those factors but hey look , things are built for the purpose of enjoyment right?
    If there's nothing wrong with it , why the obsessive compulsive behavior with it instead of enjoying the great console it actually is?
    I think some people prefer to tinker with the PS3 instead of actually enjoying the amazing library it has.

15. 7,064
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    No one is obsessive compulsive here except maybe you are coming across bit that way with the anti fan control stance but that's fine. I can understand not wanting to use it yourself, but to be trying to convince other people not to who want to is just weird. Its a bit like not being a vegetarian but then going after them to try make them eat meat, like wtf do you get out of it.

Look its a simple setting, you set it once and forget about it. If it adds a few years to the life of the console then savage, if not then no harm done. But to just say play it til it dies is a bit shortsighted.

wrx884 and Major_Pothead92 like this.
  16. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    dude. i'm only saying what i see . nothing else. and wasn't saying you were!
    no mate I ain't no anti-fan etecetera nothing.
    I said i prefer my system to run as it's intended.
    If I have satisfactory results with it as it is then why having to resort to other alternative fan controls?
    Don't have to unless.

not gonna convince anybody. let the users be the judge of their own systems.

why should I have the fan running up and down like a cat and mouse all the time when my system's not overheating?
    dude it's simple.
    if the console dies off , get another.
    it's not like they're out there being sold £200 a piece.
    and tbh , I'm extremely happy with the way this 30xx series is working so I'm not going to mess with it.
    I'll see to it and how long it will last.

and Offtopic : that Hen games not working bullshit. Sure the games don't work.
    That's why every single backed disc I put in they all work.
    If people don't know how to work with their systems. Tough.

17. 295
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I'm just lurking at this point, but I can no longer resist a shitpost lol.... I accept the repercussions.

Dude... Do you not know when you've lost an argument or something? Or rather haven't added anything constructive to it? Serious lack of social skills? You're here giving terrible advice, posting for the sake of humoring yourself and random lurkers like me it seems. Put your ps3 in the microwave for 65 seconds if you don't want to replace the thermal paste or use a fan control, that will do it wayyyy better than the oven trick....

Next time you say you are "done" "unwatching the thread" maybe you should do that instead of contradict yourself and look even more dumb? Sorry not sorry!

wrx884 and DeViL303 like this.
  18. 7,064
    DeViL303

Part-Time XMB Modder
    OMG I just realized you have added to your sig and all , now that is hilarious, first time i ever seen that in all my years.

upload_2019-10-21_22-3-0.png

You are genuinely triggered. Lets just leave it.

wrx884 likes this.
  19. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    yada yada yada yada

What a crappy post mate.
    Are you done smoking your joints or what?

Winter's coming mate , make sure your console's all warm and toasty.
    Save your gas , more money for your weed.

Forums turned into personal criticism now instead of consoles all of a sudden.
    LMAO.

Major_Pothead92 likes this.
  20. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    So what?
    So you're basically now telling me you're trying to force me to use your control fan settings.
    Seriously what a bunch of losers.
    All pissed off because I use Syscon.

You all done?