Average temp of ps3 super slim

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by crspypotatochips, May 2, 2019.

1. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Passionate Retro Bastard/Musician
    Home Page:
    Pothead , forget about this shitty topic , open a new thread about that issue so you'll get good straight answers to that problem.
    Someone might come up with some good answers or not who knows.

Major_Pothead92 likes this.
  2. 12,249
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

@Major_Pothead92 , not sure about shutting off, but one of my friend's ps4 turns on randomly. lol and, I think it randomly ejects discs too. I think he was going to use some tape for those sensors.

3. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    Pothead described his situation to me and he says that his PS3 acts weird when he runs PS2 games just.
    Maybe you know what's going on because I think it's a software related issue and since you're more skilled than I am that way , maybe you could help him Pinky.

He says he also checked his temp right after by using Multiman and it indicates temps of 55c so it's weird why the PS3 is woofing.
    I suggested using Webman's feature of analyzing the temps while the PS2 emulators running just to check out if it's the emulator's load on his system causing it but he doesn't use Webman.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  4. 12,249
    pinky

ps2 mode has no dynamic fan control, so you have to set ps2 mode's fan speed. otherwise, the system will likely get hotter than normal.

Filipe Santos likes this.
  5. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    He also mentioned he uses Syscon , hence why I suggested using the Webman function while in game to make sure it's not overloading it since using multiman won't give accurate readings since it will only give idle/unloading game readings , which could be the cause because PS2 games being emulated can have a more heavier impact on the system than just running PS3 native software.

6. 12,249
    pinky

you can increase the fan for ps2 software in webman settings. I put mine at 40 or 50%. the fans are definitely audible at that percentage. , but don't worry.

7. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    Yeah I think that the right choice for Pothead is installing Webman. I also use the Syscon settings , but I got it selected in Webman , it's a very useful tool.

8. 6,088
    sandungas

sandungas Moderator Developer

I think it happens because syscon chip keeps a record of the fan speeds used before your turned off the PS3
    To check this you can "reset" the syscon chip by disconnecting power cord at the back of the PS3

I mean... turn off the PS3 normally (so it enters in standby)... and then unplug the power cord, wait 1 minute (to drain all electricity of the capacitors) and plug it again
    Then boot the PS3 and the fan speed should be normal

*remember, the syscon chip is always "alive", even when the PS3 is in standby the syscon is working in "low power" mode

-------------------
    There is a weird effect that could confuse you a bit though... when you boot the PS3, at the first 5 seconds or so, the fan speed is bigger than normal
    After that 5 seconds, the fan speeds decreases, and this is where it starts working normally
    This happens in all PS3 slim models as far i know, even in official firmware

Long story short... dont worry about that first 5 seconds... is something weird, but is like that from factory

-------------------
    The PS2 emulator for non-PS2-backward-compatible PS3 models, named netemu (and used by all slims, superslims, and most of the fats) does an intensive usage of the coprocessors of CELL
    This is not bad in itself, is designed like that and the CELL can handle it... there is people that thinks the PS2 emu could damage the PS3 but is not exactly that

What happens is the PS2 netemu pushes CELL into high workload entirelly (lets say over 90% workload)
    But i bet ther are many PS3 games that does this... so nothing specially dangerous

Is just incase you have degraded thermal paste in CELL or any oter problem in CELL, then the PS2 netemu is going to overheat CELL easilly

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  9. 745
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

Exactly, The Vespa engine head is quite cold when running i.e. from about 10 minutes (at not too high rpm), but as soon as you shut-off the engine the head (and cap) becomes really hot, since the flywheel fan stop spinning.
    Btw the engine internal temperature shouldn't increase, since there aren't explosions anymore.

Algol likes this.
  10. 12,249
    pinky

I think people may be unaware of how quickly a game console can overheat. with a phat 360, it's less than two minutes with no fan running, so it's probably a good sign that the fan on the ps3 is a little loud. it's comparable.

11. 7,243
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

It's a lot quicker than that even on a ps3 if the heatsink is off, try put your finger on a ps3 cpu and boot it. You will have a burned finger in about 10 seconds. :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    DoublesAdvocate, Peppe90 and Algol like this.
  12. 4
    Shah1761

Shah1761 Forum Noob

i want play ps2 games on my super slim.But i am afraid it will shorten my ps3 life.will anyone share their opinion about this matter?

13. 7,243
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Developer PSX-Place Supporter

Short answer: No if your console is cooling itself alright it should be fine.

Long answer: All the components in your console only have a finite life, that is like a clock ticking. Even when you don't turn on the console it's components are still degrading. In theory every time you turn on your PS3 you shorten it's life even quicker. Of course for components without moving parts the main wear and tear is heat. Also we know that software PS2 emulation takes a lot of CPU power which generates a lot of heat, technically this is shortening the life of your console even faster than just sitting on the XMB.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Shah1761 and Algol like this.
  14. 87
    DoublesAdvocate

DoublesAdvocate Member

I keep hearing people say that but when I play stuff like GTA SA on my slim it usually gives me even lower temps than when playing something like rock band. Also just as a side note for people with CECHA/B/C/E my temps were around 45-50C when running PS2 games on my CECHA.
    I'll measure the power draw while playing rock band and then while playing GTA VC on my slim and report back the temps and power draw to confirm.

Shah1761 and Major_Pothead92 like this.
  15. 328
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I've been playing a few ps2 games lately. I have a CECH3001A that I've owned for exactly 8 years now, never changed the paste or anything (not comfortable doing it myself, cba to pay someone to do it for me.) I just do light maintenance, removing the top of the case and cleaning the dust every month or so.

Anyways, you should be fine playing them on your super slim. In my case I was paranoid something bad was happening because the fan on my system would spool up quite a bit when playing certain ps2 titles. I came to the conclusion that ambient temperature has a lot to do with this in my situation. With the daily temperatures in my area right now, room temperature being reasonable etc my ps3 doesn't have to spool up the fans to keep cool when using the ps2 net emulator. Even after playing a game for 2 hours or so.

But yeah if you have an otherwise healthy console, you should be good to go with the ps2 classics. If the fans spool up, it's warm in your area and you're playing a game that's heavy on the CPU. Based on my testing anyway lmao.

Shah1761 likes this.
  16. 4
    Shah1761

Shah1761 Forum Noob

tnx for sharing your experience guys.i am going to play ps2 classics on my ps3 super slim.BTW my temp never goes up than 61`c.normally it remains at 54-56`c both cpu and rsx.

Major_Pothead92 likes this.