Average temp of ps3 super slim

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by crspypotatochips, May 2, 2019.

1. 295
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I'll add that I don't use fan control either. I've had my 3001A since November 2011, the thing is a focking champ. Only thing wrong with it is the laser doesn't really seem to want to read anything anymore, it's very picky, hence my recent interests over the year in HAN / HEN for backups. Was always interested in CFW from the moment I obtained this thing, however at the time that was not a possibility and I didn't care enough to buy another system that was already modded or "jailbreakable." It was already my 2nd PS3 as the first one I received as a gift took a dump on me with YLOD (Don't remember the model, but it was fat and BC played ps2 discs played all the ps2 mgs games on it just fine.)

But yeah, my system seems to be most affected by ambient temperature. It's hot for 6 months out of every 12 where I live, and I'm on the west coast of good ol' US&&A ffs. Global warming much? Politics pfft here's a good concept free air conditioning for all get to it big brother. But yeah my temperatures stay around 60 - 70c on both CPU & RSX during these times, when it cools off like recently it stays in the mid to low 60's and even goes down to the mid 50's while idling. Fact of the matter is just because my ps3 is almost a decade old and has sustained tons of use and abuse yet still functions at almost 100%, doesn't mean I go around advising others not to use fan control software or to never replace the thermal paste on the chips, since in my unique experience I didn't have to.. Doesn't mean not a LOT of other people will be as lucky either... Hope you see what I'm trying to say bud, thank you for the laugh though I don't know why I never thought of throwing my ps3 in an Ice Chest with some brews.

Filipe Santos likes this.
  2. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Passionate Retro Bastard/Musician
    Home Page:
    Same here man!
    Nice you also got a 3000 model .
    Cheers man!
    Good to hear yours is still running like a fuckin' champ! :D
    FTW.
    [​IMG]

Same here my models a 2011 one.

About Hen , mate it looks flawless I'd say.
    This is my first 3000 model , I never had a console that could run Hen since I was a very well experienced CFW user and mate , no problems running any games whatsoever , maybe except for a few but there could be corrupted files and so what-not , sometimes there could be problems with certain discs but sure.
    If there are problems I usually try dumping more than once to be sure or even try different kinds of software which helps diagnosing the problem before coming to abrupt conclusions.
    Talking of Hen , I bought some more games for my collection and I'm dumping them as we speak.
    Just so the Blu-Ray drive noise doesn't bugger me anyways.

Yeah I totally understand all the shizzle about politics mate.
    Look at this Brexit bullshit.
    What a load of shite.

All jokes aside:
    Of course I'm not telling you to throw it in ice buckets and etc and so on.
    It's just the geek/nerd factor that's running so high around here , some users so picky about this or that and stating your console is not gonna last long because you're not using this or that.
    That's why I threw the jokes and I also said if some users are so picky about them temps then don't even bother turning it on.
    But that doesn't mean the console will turn on next time you're gonna do it either.

Mine does the same.

Same here.
    Well , I mean , I got mine just last 7th October but it's second hand , I'm sure it was used a lot and then it was totally abandoned as I had to open and clean the heck out of it and replaced the thermal paste while I was at it.
    Saves me from having it to open it in another few years or so.
    But anyways , like I said my temps are same as yours.
    Just prefered it that way.
    The old paste looked like the Sahara Desert XD

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  3. 82
    DoublesAdvocate

DoublesAdvocate Member

Direct die cooling is possible but you would need to redo the entire heat sink assembly, in the past you could purchase water cooling kits for the PS3 but I haven't found any that are still for sale other than 1 model for the PS3 slim. The purpose of an IHS is to protect the die from damage, whether is be from damage during servicing, installation, or heat sink mounting. Old CPUs from Intel and AMD used to come direct from the factory with no IHS but for about the past decade all desktop chips from them have had heat spreaders. The most common point of failure is when mounting a cooler, pressure is applied unevenly to the chip and one side gets cracked, BANG! dead CPU.

sandungas and Major_Pothead92 like this.
  4. 295
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

The RSX on mine doesn't skyrocket like you said yours does though. Temperature there is usually the same as CPU or + / - 2 to 4 degrees. In your case I would probably bite the bullet and finally install webmanMOD for fan control since RSX is supposed to be the more sensitive or damage prone of the chips. I'm not trying to convince you though, it's your system if you don't see the need to use the software you don't have to and probably have good reason to be wary of it. Some people simply just like to be "better safe than sorry." Then there's those who like to live "Dangerously..." Like standing with only 5 or whatever in a game of blackjack.

I've never replaced the thermal paste, I don't have the necessary tools and even if I did my hands aren't steady enough to do such things nor is my patience lmao. I consider my console a champ based on the facts I mentioned lol, it's been through a lot with me and still powers up and plays. I figured it'd be only good for parts and repair by this point in it's life, nope still makes a great last gen beast and retro machine despite being limited on MAME and no N64 / Saturn / Dreamcast emulation.

5. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    My RSX goes higher in game and it's normal , I had two slims before they all did the same.

While Idle yes that's the right way the PS3 behaves.

It won't. ;)

I have it installed and in Syscon mode.

I appreciate your advice but the RSX is not reaching really high temps of over 75c or so and the Cell is always accompanying it with always 10c difference but it's always variable but nothing like 20c difference cell/rsx or nothing like that. My other slims did the same.
    I demo'ed Bioshocks and they strangely gave higher temps than running The Last Of Us but it's only 1-2c difference anyways.
    Playing The Last Of Us intensively (5-6 hours in a row) and constant temps of actual gameplay of cpu 60/61/62c rsx 70/71 but no more than that which is great. If i were using dynamic fan settings both would be running at 50/69 max but I'm not gonna bring the fan up and down because there's no need for it. The Syscon fan control is usually at 27% max. If I go 30's then I'll get the 50/60 result. But no need for it.
    The Last Of Us cutscenes the temps break off giving the RSX regular breaks such as results of RSX : 65c around that or so and then back where it was when everything is rendered in real-time which is understandable considering the ''stress'' on it and what the RSX is doing which is great.

but that just shows how durable it can be.

sure you can play other systems with retroarch except for those you mentioned .

I've a lot of experience with Pc's and stuff but with the PS3 is a total different biz and yeah sure needs patience and steady hands.
    Specially removing the motherboard which is the part that requires a lot of care and patience!

6. 295
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I have much more experience with PC's and laptops myself, they're arguably easier to deassemble and replace components imo. I've taken the top cover off my PS3 and used some compressed air to clean up the fan and all around it, then a good clean with some Isopropyl using Q-Tips and cotton balls. I do that every other month along with the fan test afterwards, that's about as far as manually tinkering with the playstation that I'm comfortable with.

Will add something I found funny. The fans on my system would go into overdrive while playing ICO lmao..... Maybe because that ones a ps2 port or something I dont know, it was strange to me though because nothing similar ever happened while playing something like AC:Black Flag or Skyrim for example. I can't check my temps in game because I don't feel comfortable using webman MOD based on various reports that have to do with freezes and soft bricks, but the temps always seem to be normalized by the time multiman loads up so I can check the temps.

Fans also go into overdrive when playing PS2 games, though this only happens when the surrounding ambient temperature is high. This time of year I can play the ps2 games without having to worry about the fan spooling up. That might be a seperate issue of some sort, still trying to find closure on it though. Tomb Raider Legend for example, after about 5 minutes of playing the fan may spool up and even if I power off my system, upon turning it back on the fan is still thrusting for takeoff. I check the temps and they are in the upper 50's, yet the fan is still going crazy? Sometimes doesn't slow back down until idling for an hour or staying powered off for 30 - 60 mins. Wtf why is the fan doing this with PS2 titles??? Is another internal component reaching baking temperatures or something??

7. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    yeah that's very true!
    I actually done the same . I used cotton balls and Isopropyl alcohol and wore anti static gloves for the deeper handling .
    The motherboard which is real delicate. Believe me. And yeah it's deffo not like handling pc's with bare hands and everything works fine , this PS3 biz is another world man.

As long as the fan's spinning everything should be ok! :D lol

Ico you say?
    Is it not the HD collection along with the Shadow Of The Colossus?
    I never ran those before but I will add that to my wishlist games to get next time I go round the store.
    I'm expecting SOTC to be demanding because it has huge landscapes but never tried Ico before .
    Will give it a shot and let you know if it's the HD collection you're mentioning.

You can check the in game temps by pressing the playstation button on the controller and then while in XMB press both select+start at the same time and it will give you on the fly results.
    Just don't do it many times in a row as there's some bug that it can trigger the ''NOT IN XMB'' or it will also keep triggering the temps constantly and it won't stop until you quit the game because there's also another function if you press select for 5 secs or so it will bring a webman seperate window with the temps the thermostat color (blue when it's 30c/40c green 50/60c , yellow 70c/79 i think and above that should indicate red and that's when I would worry indicating that something starting to go wrong big time , but I would notice it before just by checking if the temps on both are not acting the way they were before anyways.
    My system is always running in that green/yellow situation for me that's satisfactory since everything's in place and in good order and that's how the console's originally meant to run by default so there's no reason for me to go panicking/nitpickin about all this because this is not the same as the Xbox 360.

Yeah that's strange.
    But if the temps are ok there's no need for the system to ''panic attack''.
    Could be a software related issue from my perspective because it's an actual emulator running it on slims since we don't have BC anyways but it's funny because you can never win from any perspective.
    Because BC PS3 console's have major issues too!
    Try testing the temps while in the game and see how they go if you want to get more accurate results. It's strange because if the fans blowing very high it's only if the system's getting very hot.
    I can't test that myself because I don't own the game and I don't know if the game ever was available on PSN , that way I could see if there was a problem with it or not , because this ps2 classics thing apparently is the same thing sony uses in them psn ps2 games for the ps3 that is.

About that ICO game if it's the HD classics for the PS3 along with the Shadow Of The Colossus I'll grab it next time and try it and see how it goes.
    Many people say that The Last Of Us is the heaviest game and so far Bioshock 1 (much earlier game) and specially Infinite put some extra weight on my one so I don't know I can only speak for myself.

Done some research and forget about that PS2 Tomb Raider Legend and do yourself a nice favour :D

[​IMG]

As for the rest here's a temp test I just took .
    My PS3's been on most of the day just dumping the games to hdd since I got quite a lot today.
    Just switched on.

CPU 50 RSX 50
    They're both 50 at startup because the console was on most of the day and it just switched off for not being used about an hour ago or so.
    If you completely let it cool down and then start up it always usually starts around 30c and it'll go right up to 50 and then 60 in a matter of a few minutes.

Major_Pothead92 likes this.
  8. 295
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

Yeah it's the HD collection bundled with SOTC. I have the HD Trilogy for TR as well but the movement / camera controls are bugged on all 3 of them thanks to a crappy 3rd party controller I'm stuck using for now. In those games I can only move forward backwards left and right, same with the camera lol. Breaks the game makes jumping and aiming etc nearly impossible. Even had the same problem with the Tomb Raider remake, I think the devs don't like 3rd party controllers or something lol.

The thing about the fans panicking after ps2 gameplay but the temperature being relatively low is mainly what confuses me. I guess they're going up while in game? I thought the system had no control over the fans anyways while it's in "ps2 emulation mode" so it doesn't make sense to me how they just spool up like that after a variable amount of time. Why are they doing that if they're supposed to be at a set speed when the emulator is running?? I don't think I can check temps in game because I don't use webman, unless there's a way to check in game with multiman?

9. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    Ok I'll get the SOTC HD collection next time and I'll come back here with my results.

yeah it's strange but that's how it is.
    I'm glad all my controllers are official sony ones anyways you can never go wrong with them.

Yeah that's why I was suggesting trying the playstation button xmb (all in game) then select+start and it'll show you the actual temps while the game's paused which won't give much time for the system to break off.
    Thing is , if you quit the game and check temps in XMB the load is and was already lifted so the console is going back to it's idle condition.

Yeah there's one thing:
    In webman I know there's a set speed for ps2 minimum fan settings is it that you're referring to or you actually have webman controlling the fan on your desired set manual speed control?

No , sorry , you have to have webman do check the temperatures in game.
    You won't get the precise accuracy by quitting a game and going back to multiman and get the temperatures reading from there (except for idle readings) because the load isn't there anymore and by the time the system takes doing all of that , you'll probably catch up a temp of 66c RSX (in syscon , results differ depending on ps3 WM user settings) and going down when you've reached multiman.

10. 295
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I'm not sure exactly what I was referring to honestly, I just am sure I've read around here before that when ps2 / ps2 classics are running there's not supposed to be anything monitoring the temps or adjusting the fan speeds if you're just using "SYSCON" "Default" fan settings like us. In my case when it gets warm in my place, if I choose to play a ps2 game on my ps3 I have to worry about the fan going to overdrive and what possible long term consequences / damage that can occur as a result of it. There is no fan control or webman on my console, based on this experience and lack of information I can dig up on it I think the fan on my ps3 simply has a mind of its own when playing ps2 games.

The loud fan is a bit bothersome in this case, I don't know exactly what speed it runs at when this happens but I have an oscillating fan on like 24/7 and I can hear the ps3's fan over that lol.. Sounds just like a blow dryer, but not as loud as when doing the fan test. As mentioned in my other posts about this though, the fan continues on like that even after a reboot or leaving it off for 5 minutes. They continue on like that, even though the temperature is apparently in a fair range. Sometimes it regulates after idling for a while, sometimes not and I have to leave it powered off for about an hour. I find it very strange.

That's literally the only thing with my ps3 that's bothering me lol. As a result I don't spend a lot of time playing my ps2 library, not a huge loss either though since it's really better to just have a ps2 for the best experience. Still bugs me lol. I've done my best explaining the situation but have a hard time digging up answers :dejection:

I apologize if I have gone a bit off topic with this PS2 fan dillemma, though still relative to system temperatures. I'm just genuinely curious as to why and what's happening here.

11. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    if you have WM you can always monitor the temps no bother.
    haven't tested on any ps2 games because i'm not using my console for ps2 games but i'm sure it would work using the emulator.
    There's always something constantly monitoring the fan speeds and so on. The motherboard has all the components else nobody would be able to actually monitor anything and the system wouldnt be able to trigger and know when the fan speed needs to go higher or lower.

Don't blame you.
    I would be wondering the same myself.
    Ok so your ps3 is system control fan like mine.
    ok so in order for you to ID what's causing the fan to go haywire , I would install WM , run the software and start taking temp measures.
    If the fan goes nuts with no crazy temps at all then i would conclude its the software causing the system to do whatever it's doing , but if not then there's deffo a temp related issue. But again , you'll need the right tools for the right job.
    If you will install WM in the future and when you launch Hen or something , don't panic with the fan kickstarts a bit. That's just because WM has Dynamic Fan settings set by default.
    In settings you can then select the settings for what kind of fan assisted system you wish for the ps3 to run.

12. 12,141
    pinky

pinky Bitsiboo's Other Half Developer

I really wouldn't worry too much about temps. that's probably one of the reasons sony wanted the system quiet. a loud fan is probably going to make you think something is wrong with the system, and of course sony doesn't want you to think that. 60s and 70s are good temps. 80s might be a time to worry.

I don't see how you can enjoy the system if you're always worried about temps. that's how I felt with the 360 after my first system failed. I was never able to enjoy the system after that.

13. 295
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

That's the thing I suspect the temps on my system are hitting some sort of threshold when running ps2 games. The loud fan is making me think something is wrong lol. I guess I'll have no way to know for sure until I bring myself to installing webman MOD. If it was some sort of software issue or something else that's causing this I wouldn't mind insight on a simple fix though. Maybe reinstalling the net emulator or something, idrk why there'd be problems with it though since I've never messed with it. Till then I'll just reserve ps2 gaming for cold days lol. My ps3 has been doing this with ps2 classics for a while so I know it's nothing related to any exploits.

14. 12,141
    pinky

I don't believe there's dynamic fan control with ps2 games, so if you were using wmm, you'd need to indicate a good fan speed. I think I have mine at 40-50%. if you have cfw, you can see the temps while running ps2 games too. I'd imagine that the system normally increases fan speed by default when selecting a ps2 classic for that reason.

15. 295
    Major_Pothead92

Major_Pothead92 Member

I'm just on an older version HEN so I'm not sure if I'd be able to check the temps while running ps2 games. The main thing that interests me is if I reboot, the fans are still mega boosted for a variable amount of time (sometimes <5 minutes, sometimes 45+ mins) yet the temperature reads back in a fair range. Does anyone have any idea what's causing the fan to continue on like that because it baffles me lmao. The bottom of the system doesn't feel too hot to the touch when this happens either. There's no dust or anything in or around the system. It stands vertical, plenty of room for it to breathe etc.

Filipe Santos and pinky like this.
  16. 12,141
    pinky

I'm not sure. maybe it's just a flaw with how the sensors are read. my 360 runs a bit cooler than my ps3, and the 360 is a phat/ps3 a slim. the noise can get distracting, which is why a lot of people suggest immersing yourself with the game by using headphones or surround sound. the irony about this temp obsession is that one should be more concerned if he's not hearing the fan rather than the other way around.

17. 96
    wrx884

wrx884 Member

Its not actually when the system gets to those temps u need to worry its when the console is switched off at a higher temp thats to be concerned about, its the movement after that does more damage. Yes higher temps also damage other components too but the only reason people want these lower temps is basically put the closer u can get the console to run at ambient room temp the better so the board and BGA's have less chance of movement. obviously thats unrealistic but the lower the temps the better chance u got. Heat soak is also another issue in itself too.

DeViL303 likes this.
  18. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    BINGO.

19. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    That was exactly what I was pointing at too.
    It's the pick your poison situation.
    I'm not worried about that either because the console slowly starts to cool down when it's switched off properly (not the abrupt switch offs of course as they can also damage the hdd).

My Ps3 switched off automatically after an hour of idle and i switched it on after and temps were 50c both right at the start.
    If I leave it off all night and come back next day then I have a complete refreshed start out from 30c both.

thing is ambient temperature will never be at 50c or 60c , ambient temps can go up to 40c or maybe more, so to my knowledge the chips will never run at ambient temperature at the same exact ambient temperature you're in.
    And speaking of ambient temperature the ps3 is always running according to it , if it's in a cooler environment then it can run a bit cooler if hotter than a bit hotter.
    It influences it of course but running the chips at ambient temperature it's a futile attempt.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  20. 551
    Filipe Santos

Filipe Santos Member

Home Page:
    Yeah if the bottom's not even warm then there's deffo something really weird , I think that's something to do with the emulator to be honest just messing around with your system.
    And as you said you've checked temps on multiman and it doesn't indicate no high temps either so.
    I'd say it's the software fuckin' it up misreading the sensors or something as Pinky also's mentioning , I'm not 100% sure because I don't have that situation on my hands . But if it was me and nothing was at fault with high temps and console was starting to go nuts I would assume it's the software doing it since it's the only thing you found that's causing you a problem , when you're running PS3 native software it doesn't behave that way.