[GUIDE] Unbrick a PS3 after an unfortunate PS3Xploit flash

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by littlebalup, Dec 16, 2018.

1. 4
    Nosdio

Nosdio Forum Noob

Hello, new to the forums and i would appreciate your help.

My PS3 was running CFW but i had the idea that something was not working well, so i decided to reflash it.
    I reflashed it OK but when i tried to dump the NOR after the flash it stuck to the xploit screen and then i powered it down. Now it is bricked. I know i did several mistakes and now i need the E3 flasher probably.\

I had the original as well as the patched dump.hex from the previous time i intsalled CFW and they are both OK with PS3 Dump checker.
    What i have to do now it byte reverse the dump (the initial patched one, after all i should not had patched this again at first place...) which is done (produced me a .bin file) and flash the console with the E3 flasher?

Those E3 ones from ebay, will they work?

I had already made the tristate to the console (DYN-001) and it is opening now.

The steps from here on are:
    1. Update the E3 flasher which i should buy.
    2. Put the byte reversed hex (that is now a .bin and it is checked with the ps3dumpchecker) in the empty SD and update the NOR.
    3. Close the PS3 and remove the cable of the TRISTATE.
    4. Install the CFW again?
    Please let me know, i want to save this and thank you..i know i did mistake...

2. 627
    lmn7

lmn7 Developer

I experienced the same thing during testing of my project. It looks like if you brick the PS3 by incorrectly writing to flash, you're kinda screwed regardless of whether you leave the console on or not. The PS3 will just crash upon trying to do anything else (like rewriting back the original CoreOS data).

3. 4
    spidban

spidban Forum Noob

I bricked my ps3 too..bought e3 flasher from eBay and unrbicked my ps3 following this thread and tristating..I can sell you the e3 flasher that I bought..it’s original and not a replica from China..also you can read my previous comments here(on this thread) that I unrbicked my ps3.

4. 354
    ElGris

ElGris Member

@Nosdio Better install OFW before going on CFW again. Just to see if the console is fully working without any errors on NOR. Once you revive it, install OFW->HFW and make a dump. See if it is ok, then install some CFW 4.85.

About the E3 flasher and its replicas. I think I have a replica 'cause I didn't pay too much for mine, about 40 bucks. And had no problems with it. Just see the reviews of the customers.

5. 8
    Intruder_911

Intruder_911 Forum Noob

Hi. Where can i download other OFW patches? Currently i need 4.83 and 4.76 to unbrick my PS3 consoles. Thx.

6. 1,245
    littlebalup

littlebalup Developer PSX-Place Supporter

ElGris likes this.
  7. 7
    mrg

mrg Forum Noob

Thank you @littlebalup for this tutorial. I have bricked my PS3 superslim after flashing my NOR with a file that I shouldn't with the ps3xploit, and now I am trying to revive it with an E3 flasher.

I know the E3 flash is not covered here, but I would like to ask if this is normal:

- I have placed the bkpps3.bin (NOR dump file byte-reversed) into the root of the memory card (16GB)
    - After plugging the E3 flasher to the NOR chip with all the switches down, I turn the PS3 ON, and after, the front leds start to blink alternatively back and forward. Is this normal?

I press the START button and nothing happens. Is this a bad connection between the E3 and the NOR chip?

Thanks in advance!

8. 1,245
    littlebalup

Yes it's normal the blue leds blink in idle mode.
    You may need to update your E3 firmware. Using the "samsung" firmware.

Algol likes this.
  9. 4
    Nosdio

Nosdio Forum Noob

Thank you all for your replies/posts
    I got the flasher today, dipped in alcohol in case of...and then succesfully revived my PS3...it even booted to REBUG but then got the service screen. Currenlty i am on OFW 4.86->CFW NEW REBUG 4.86 and running OK.

Thanks again.

PS:Got the flasher from ebay. Seems of good quality (comparing the pictures via net show it is not fake) but i am sure it is not original..can't be..but works OK. Frankly i dont want to need to use this again.

littlebalup likes this.
  10. 8
    Intruder_911

Intruder_911 Forum Noob

11. 7
    mrg

mrg Forum Noob

I can't update the firmware.
    I have placed switch 1 and 2 down and 3, 4, 5 and 6 up. but nothing happens. :(

I have externally powered the E3 flasher (just in case the power from NOR chip wasn't enough). but still nothing happens.

Also when I have the switches in position for backup, the leds star blinking alternately as they should, but when I hit start, the process doesn't start. At least I should get any error on the leds, but nothing happens.

1 - Is it possible to manually (without the SDcard) update the E3?
    2 - If the leds don't change their status when I press start, what sould be wrong with this E3?

My last option would be buying a new one :(

12. 1
    AleksanderBratkowski

AleksanderBratkowski Forum Noob

Hello!Can someone help me,please?! I've got a soft brick on PS3 Slim (KTE-001). Can someone check my dump file,please. I don't know what happened but everytime when I make a dump with Teensy 2.0 +++ (0.8 version of firmware) I've got something like this... only 40 checks in a dump checker... This file has a normal size at 16 mb. What's wrong?

Also I've got PS3 (cechl) with RSOD. There are all the same! I've tried to resolder wires 3 times, made them shorter (now they have at about 10 centimeters length, not 20 as it was early) I've got no idea how I can fix it((

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxg5g23dzgq71d3/x.zip?dl=0

13. 7
    mrg

mrg Forum Noob

Hi guys,

I have tried to solder the E3 flasher directly to the NOR testpoints under the board.
    Unfortunately I have accidentally removed 3 pads (wires were too strong).

Are those pads just interfacing the NOR chip pins, or are they actually in the middle of a track that connects other ICs/components?

If its just the interface to the chip I have no other options than buying a new clip or soldering the wires directly to the chip pads.

motherboard schematics could help. its a KTE-001 board.

thanks in advance!

14. 8
    Intruder_911

Intruder_911 Forum Noob

Hi there again. Can you share 4.53 OFW patch please.

15. 8
    Intruder_911

Intruder_911 Forum Noob

Hi everyone. Few days ago i recieved PS3 bricked motherboard SUR-001. When i downladed NOR dump, PS3 Dump checker says NOR dump from other motherboard - DYN-001 and patched. Is there is way fix this motherboard or it is completly dead?

Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vnj0mnin7geton4/ORIGINAL.BIN?dl=0

16. 1,245
    littlebalup

I had a look. I confirm your dump is 100% from a DYN-001 board (bootlr / metldr rev keys, IDPS, ISD... match DYN-001).
    So it seems, for some very bad reasons, somebody flashed a DYN-001 NOR dump to your SUR-001 NOR...
    That's not recoverable if you don't have the original dump of your SUR-001 board.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  17. 8
    Intruder_911

Intruder_911 Forum Noob

Thank you. Unfortunatly i don't have original dump.

18. 4
    XScene

XScene Member

Salut @littlebalup,

i need your advice please,
    already started a thread but got no response,

i have a CECH 3004B with HFW 4.85-1, and a broken Bluetooth module,

(i have mistakenly done an update hoping it could fix the Bluetooth issue)
    unfortunately i ended up with an endless FW installation error (8002F1F9)

i do have an E3 Flasher + a Backup of "HFW 4.84" , "OFW 4.41" and "OFW 3.65"

i tried a few times to restore the "HFW 4.84", when the PS3 stop update process at "8002F1F9" error,
    but after i reboot, the PS3 just start the update process again and again... to "8002F1F9"

Any Idea please.
    Regards.

19. 2
    saweert

saweert Forum Noob

you must check blutooth modul has 1.8v if there are 1.8v you must change wi-fi blutooth modul

20. 2
    saweert

saweert Forum Noob

Hi,i have a 3004 ps3, ,when i try open console hdd light blinking rapidly then ps3 shut down.I tryed read nor dump there is an error:

17:43:34 : Binary check for 006.08 cISD1 Semistatic 2 Started... Result: FAILED! Offset: 0x3F0A4

so i tryed "force patch" like before i did with different consoles,i failed.Because there are no core os for 4.81 fw,so i've tryed all (4.82/4.83/4.84/4.85/4.86) result same...I tryed patcher.py method,result same.
    Can you help me please?
    Thank you.

Tags: