PS2 doing a lot of noise and TV screen flickering after replacing cables

Discussion in 'Help & Support' started by Windows10User, Jul 18, 2019.

1. 877
    TnA

TnA Member

Well... Just buy an FMCB'ed MemoryCard! I suggest an original one from Sony. They are usually at ~10$/€, but sometimes original MCs or officially licensed MCs are already available for 6.50$ in some places.

Some 64MB-China-Clones are available for just 3.50$ (Yes , including postage! Lol), but they might have issues with some games (not a big deal, if you use Virtual MCs/VMC, tho'.)

Btw: Ai, no problem (that you are a noob)!
    I mean... It is noticeable, but you are here to learn, so that's fine. :)

But it is just... erm... nice... to read the stuff thoroughly! The people who are writing these answers are human beings as well and they are investing life-time to help you, so if question can be avoided, because they are answered without a doubt, that's a good thing... More free time for other things, like helping other people... It's a bit about efficiency, you know? ;)

Windows10User likes this.
  2. 217
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Thanks, but didn't you say to softmod the PS2 myself? How can I be sure not to buy fake FMCB MC or fake PS3 Memory Card Adapters?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 1:34 PM
  3. 13
    Versatile

Versatile Member

Got some examples of a micro router? Sounds interesting. @TnA

Or get a raspberry pi 3b+ and use that for SMB sharing for everything!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  4. 877
    TnA

TnA Member

I said it is your choice! You don't 'have to' do it on your own.

Buy from a trusted seller/source!

Well, I am using a TP-Link TL-WR902AC for that which is ~33€, but there are even Nano-Routers available for 5-10€! o_O
    @LopoTRI and some others have posted tutorials for varying kinds of Nano-Routers!

I think 'Nano-Router' or 'Travel-Router' should yield plenty of results (on Google or any other search-engine)! ;)

Indeed, that works as well and the RasPi is also very versatile.
    Most of these Travel-Routers need less power, tho'.

I can power the TL-WR902AC, with just 1 USB-Port of the Slim (2.5Watt or less) even under full load/usage. ;)
    Well... A RasPi has more processing-power, but is also way bigger and does not have a case, usually!

5. 217
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

Which one?

6. 877
    TnA

TnA Member

Depends on your country...

7. 217
    Windows10User

Windows10User Member

I have the same problem for original DualShock 3 controllers. And from international sellers?

8. 13
    Versatile

Versatile Member

@TnA does your travel router need an app when accessing USB files from mobile?

Does windows recognize the drive as an smb share?

I see a hootoo travel router for decent price with USB so I'm assuming I can do smb share with it.

9. 877
    TnA

TnA Member

Yes, original DS3 might be harder to get.
    Anyway... A clone with FMCB pre-installed works as well. As long as you have an original PS2-MC, you can install FMCB to it later.

No, I simply SMB-Share it... The TL-WR902AC has a quite good OpenWRT-build available as well, so you can install support for various things (but I still use the original FW).

Edit: Well, I am using a file-explorer like 'ES', to browse it, tho'.

Yes, that is the usual method of sharing!
    Other methods are possible as well tho'.

Yes, I think so. Just keep in mind, that some travel routers don't support 5GHz-WLAN or not 'ac', but only 'n'. Those are not really useful, if you also intend to use it as a WiFi-Bridge.
    The TL-WR902AC is quite good at doing both.

Edit: There are other travel-Routers available for ~10$ as well. They are not as small, but get the job done as well! They've posted a few tutorials for different Nano/Travel-Routers on Ps2-home.com a while ago (in the OPL-Subforum I think).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  10. 877
    TnA

TnA Member

A good test for these routers as a WiFi-Bridge is to use one to support only one connection (2.4GHz OR 5GHz) and one which supports both simultaneously!

If the router supports ac, that's good as well. OPL and/or the game does a lot short requests in a quite short time, so how better the connection is, so better the experience.
    Even changing channels can cause it to run a lot better!

@Versatile
    I know it is off topic, but I see multiple videos coming, if you get any of those travel-routers and they can be bought 'used' in a good condition and decent price as well! ;)

I would really like to see FMV and the GTA Test (flying with ultraspeed or similar) with an ac double-connected WiFi-Bridge from a Nano-Router to another router/WiFi, which has a HDD connected to it (PC or directly on a router).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  11. 13
    Versatile

Versatile Member

@TnA

For your travel router model, curious how does ps3netserv work? Your router can run that application or do you have it running on PC?

Can all open-wrt routers have ability to run ps3netserv?

12. 877
    TnA

TnA Member

I am still using the original FW (I wrote so before.)!

AFAIR it is available via OpenWRT! :)

Technically it should work on all of them (because it is Linux-based) and I think it is available as a package to download for OpenWRT!

13. 13
    Versatile

Versatile Member

@TnA

Good news I picked up this router before I went on a business trip last week. Love it. Did some quick testing from smb on pc, then from main router to nano router to Ethernet to ps2. Gaming works great, looking forward to some setup videos. Love the small size!

TnA likes this.
  14. 877
    TnA

TnA Member

Yes and all of that is already possible via the original FW! OpenWRT or the other custom OS for the router yield plenty of more options!

The OpenWRT-Page still says 5GHz-WiFi doesn't work on it, but that works on it as well now, as long as LuCi is enabled and one package downloaded! :)
    You can add compression and different filesystem-support and basically all, what Linux supports, like a ps3netsrv (I looked it up, recently. @aldostools wrote about it in a thread I recently liked. ;) )!

15. 877
    TnA

TnA Member

@Versatile
    Did you get the tl-wr902ac 'v1' or 'v3', or the router you have mentioned?

I suppose you got the tl-wr902ac v3?

When the router you connect to via the travel/Nano router (WiFi-Bridge) has OpenWRT or a similar alternative OS, it should be possible to connect via both bands to the same router, whereas it seems to default to either 5GHz OR 2.4GHz when connected to some routers, where the FW doesn't support that.

tl;dr If both routers support both bands simultaneously, while being connected to the same router, you can get a truly stutter-free experience for WiFi-Bridging as well!

Final Fantasy 12 or Kingdom Hearts (every version) or some others are a good test for this.

I had seen 3 to 5 Stutters on a bad 5GHz(only)-Connection.
    2.4GHz(only)-Connection REALLY depends on the Router you connect to, but is not advisable for FMV in a lot of cases!

Dual-Band-Mode should work extremely well, if the Router you are connecting to support that. That's perfect for WiFi-Streaming and should also work well with the PS3!

5GHz-ac and not only b/g/n is preferable as well, but should not matter that much, if Dual-Band-Mode works.

What about game-streaming in a hotel, via this router and a server or a NAS at home (through the internet!!!)?! :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019 at 4:32 PM
Tags: