PS3 (UPDATE its Not working at all. )What type of LOD is this?

Discussion in 'Hardware Mods' started by Luisile, Jul 3, 2019.

1. 31
    Chaos Husky

Chaos Husky Forum Noob

I'm surprised someone works on consoles technically and isn't aware that a higher guage or thickness of wire means it can handle more current and will have a lower resistance.. Bit more scared xD way to state the obvious Vishera haha!

Vishera likes this.
  2. 233
    Luisile

Luisile Member

Nobody has asked about wire gauge or wire thicknes here so i dont know what are you talking about.

3. 211
    Vishera

Vishera Member

You probably missed it,It's a very important detail to miss.
    It is mentioned in this thread.

I will explain what you missed in short:
    A problem about the wires used for bridging the capacitors rose about them melting,
    Then we agreed that the solution is thicker wires.

4. 2,573
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Using 3 core wire that is used to wire your house with will work> sockets lighting etc. Just strip the grey outer rubber to reveal the 3 other core's. Using either the live or negative will work as both can handle 280v plus the amps and will not melt. Even using the earthing wired will do if it sealed in its usual green/yellow rubber> some housing main power cable do not have this around the earth.

I have even used this type of wire to make custom wiring harnesses for cars, and also custom speaker harness for my 1000w Kenwood stack Hifi as other proper speaker wires were restricting the power flow to the speakers. And also for alsorts of other electrical repairs on things because of the current and ampage it can handlea sit industrial grade, quite cheap and you should be able to find it at your local DIY store.

Vishera likes this.
  5. 31
    Chaos Husky

Chaos Husky Forum Noob

Oh god Cypher.. Talk about Ghetto, you just made me cringe again xD i remember being a teen and trying mains install cable for a laugh but.. Ugh what a bodge! You need flexible core for car installs really, when i've helped wire them for friends i always use high guage, proper flexible cable.. If they get 8AWG kits i laugh at them to be honest. I have 'proper' speaker wire here that's lovely and flexible, has a cross section of 2.5mm which is actually 8AWG but i mean for 12V DC power the lower the guage the better.. Grey stripped install cable stripped or not looks amateurish and shitty dude xD ewwwww.. Brings me back to the days of using some cooker wire to temporary fix an alternator feed in my exes old Fiesta MK3.. God, that car was awful.. But yeah as a side note if i ever needed anyone else to rewire something for me instead of doing it myself i'm not letting you anywhere near it lol :p

Funny though, i used to love Kenwood systems, i have an old stack system in the spare room that's from 1988.. And unlike a lot of later Hi-Fi systems, not just restricted to Kenwoods, they use real transistors in true push-pull instead of irritating integrated chip amp ICs.. *shudders*

Although your idea of using a little bit of solid Copper core as a bridge for the PBC isn't a bad idea, really.. Depending on the size and the location i tend to use little copper bars instead of round wire just to be awkward lol! Or i flatten the round core, just to be different really.. Although the flatter surface area helps connecting it to flat pads without having to rely on a ton of solder to fill any gaps and transfer most of the current..

6. 233
    Luisile

Luisile Member

ok guys i have 1 day off tomorow so i can test that thing before i buy those expensive caps. i have at home 4 pieces of smd tantalum 330uf/2.5v. i can solder them paralel to nec tokin. but on what side? top (where rsx lives) or botom (where is nothing)?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  7. 1,511
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    Solder them on top, where the RSX isn't present.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

8. 233
    Luisile

Luisile Member

Ok thanks. I Will try it

9. 233
    Luisile

Luisile Member

Succes! Its working! I soldered 4x 330uF tantalum capacitors paralel on rsx tokin , reasembled the ps3 and tested. and its working!
    So now i need to order more caps and replace it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    snkplkn likes this.
  10. 310
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Thank you. Can you post the photos of your motherboard showing repairs you carried out?

Edit - I have been waiting @Naked_Snake1995 tutorial since long as he always says he will do it when he gets time. Can you detail the steps you took to replace the capacitors? please also post photos of your work.

11. 233
    Luisile

Luisile Member

No problem. I just test some things and dissassemble it again and take picture.

snkplkn likes this.
  12. 1,163
    littlebalup

littlebalup Developer PSX-Place Supporter

13. 233
    Luisile

Luisile Member

This what i have done.

Attached Files:

snkplkn likes this.
  14. 233
    Luisile

Luisile Member

I have done some testing. Wifi,bt,lan,audio,video works except the drive. The seller which is my friend telo me the the drive ha working before the Ps3 producent a ylod.so now i dont know. When i put the disk in drive nothing is show in xmb. But the disk is boeing recocnized with the drive.is not the sound when laser can not focus.i even tried replace the laser unit -same issue.

15. 2,573
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    Did you make sure all the ribbon cable where connected properly? The largest BD ribbon cable is normally a pain in the backside to get seated correctly as it has a black clip clamp on it. I would check all the cable's of the BD drive to make sure all the connections are good, the internal copper traces of the ribbon cabbles have not been bent or snapped.

You might be able to find a replacement BD drive and logic board for that model PS3. If not you can always use a NoBD CFW till you get around to it.

16. 233
    Luisile

Luisile Member

yeaah i have triple checked it. i have now looked on the bd logic board and there is bmd-002. But in cechc models there must be acording to ps3devwiki be a dmd-001. The bmd-002 what i have shold be only on cechg. i think that my friend that i have the ps3 from have changed the drive and he does not know it. OR? what will happen if i try remary this drive to the ps3 and ,if,or the logic board is toast?
    How i can check if the bd logic board is toast or not?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  17. 5,692
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Retired Old Hunter Moderator

Scholar of Byrgenwerth
    Home Page:
    Just wanted to chime in and say good job. Love seeing someone stick to it till it's fixed. A lot users just give up. I admire that and enjoy your new deck.

snkplkn likes this.
  18. 233
    Luisile

Luisile Member

here
    yes i enjoing this type of work and i already own a cechc in working condition so this is only a way to learn more things.
    BTW I have made new thread about the bd drive, so this thread can stay clean only for the nec/tokin issue. thanks

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/bd-drive-in-cechc-and-remary.25240/

snkplkn likes this.
  19. 1,511
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Time constraints mate, i get you lads what a fully detailed tutorial about this, but my schedule its quite tight right now, but i haven't forgot about it, ill update once i post it, thank you for your understanding.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Cypher_CG89 likes this.
  20. 1,511
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Congratulations on your attempt for the fix, i feel completely ignored aside when i mention the cause of YLOD is the NEC Capacitors, and people still dont want to believe it, people need to inspect and think outside the box, that way we will avoid spending money on usless repairs!