Average temp of ps3 super slim

Discussion in 'General PS3 Discussion' started by crspypotatochips, May 2, 2019.

1. 538
    Peppe90

Peppe90 Member

My Ps3 slim (2004b) didn't show the YLOD, but I think the problem is the same. The fan turn to max in about 1 minute or less, then the console turned off with a blinking red led (and to can turn on again I had to wait some time) It was about 2 years old, but I made the mistake to use it in the summer (it was my first Ps3).

Replacing the upper termal paste didn't change anything. I'm not a expert about Ps3, I always thought this problem, as the YLOD one, is due to the poor lead-free tin that make the chip partially desoldering from the motherboard, so there's need for reballing. I guessed it wrong?

Now (since many years) I have a super slim (with HAN) and the temperature is about 60°C in idle. Never goes above 70 when playing, but I never used it in the summer.

2. 1,079
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

i can only speak for myself,but there are the reasons why:

1.dualshock3
    2.native HDMI,with somewhat nice blur (smoothing) that's working somewhat decently on darker games (imho) and decent scaling.
    3.better performance and compatibility on BC/semiBC consoles than other ps3 models.
    4.better video DAC than on the ps2
    5.more practical backup managing.although to be honest you can set up remote storage with the ps2

i had and still have in smaller capacity one of those setups with multiple consoles hooked up to scaling boxes,multiple displays etc.and really never used them.only system,other then playstation's that i have real nostalgia about is sega MS and ps3 does everything else i really care about (ps1,ps2,nes,sMD,snes,gba),and it does it decently enough on a big screen with one cable and a wireless controller.

that being said i do look for ps2 9000x with 2.20 bios mainly for Silent Hill 2.i'm also looking for pstv and once flash cards for original playstation become more readily avaiable (and cheap) i'll probably get an audiophile one just to have a complete playstation collection.

3. 1,159
    Naked_Snake1995

Naked_Snake1995 Senior Member

Graphic Designer
    There are differences for owing a PlayStation3 BC and a PlayStation2.

Sure, everyone who wants to play PlayStation2 Titles, will advise to get a PlayStation2, since they are dirt cheap, and thats a true statement, but once you own a BC Model, you rarely go back to the original console.

And there is also the advantages over having a Original PlayStation2, although the BC PS3s have a PS2 shoved inside them.

Wireless Controlers, Virtual Memory Cards, Graphical Smoothness, Upscaling to 1080p,and the list goes on....

Specially if you want to connect a PS2 to an HDTV, even with high quality component cables, the image will still look raw, thats because the PS2 wasn't a machine with HDTVs in mind in the 2000s,and at 480/576p the only way to enjoy it is basically if you have a CRT or a PVM.

Backwards Compatible PlayStation3s on the other hand, takes the PlayStation2 480/576p Signals respectively, and upscales them to 1080p,and let me tell you, the results are noticeable, even for untrained eye,its the best way to play PS2 titles on an HDTV.

Then comes the cost, due to these models becoming rarer, nowadays its consider to be a collectors item, which not a lot of people are interested into do the necessary investment and i understand why!

Reliability issues are a big one with this console, some users just want to plug & play, and don't want to bother about health of the console, they don't want to bother about Capacitors, HDDs, YLOD, GLOD, Delid, Thermal Paste Replacement, they just simply want to play, it was fine in 2006,when the console came out, but as the years passed, so the consoles parts get degradation.

Then there its the price, depending on the condition of the console, they can fetch a high price, and from a buyers standpoint, not everyone are willing to drop 250€ for a BC PlayStation3, knowing that there are potential risks involved. Almost all models fetch 200€ or more, but the 20Gb CECHB01,being the most despised version, due to the lack of WIFI/Card Reader, collectors run after them, and due to the scarcely of these units, they fetch a high price, much more than the A01.

But to summarize, if you don't want to bother with any of the topics mentioned upwards, just like you mentioned, you are better off with a PlayStation2.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

4. 172
    snkplkn

snkplkn Member

Do you really mean 200 Euros? I don't understand why people will shell out 200 Euros for BC PS3? Despite all the advantages you can think off. By the way, if you are a collector, you can find BC for around 70-80 $ here in India. There is no BC PS3 obsession here. Actually these are the cheapest ones because they are notoriously problematic.

By the way, if PS5 really give you full BC up to PS2 (though i believe Sony won't go that far), then PS3 BC model will be of no demand. At best Sony will give BC up to PS4. That's it.

5. 1,159
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    I am not saying that in every country its 200€,that depends on the country of purchase.

Countries like US, UK/Europe and Japan, these models fetch a high price,but i didn't payed 200€ for mine, that would be out of the question.

Sometimes, you can find them at a really cheap price, almost a bargain.

If you can find in India for 80€ thats a steal, at least for me, and if its a A01 even better.

About the PS5 doing BC with previous gen PlayStation, that statement its a bit misleading, for now nothing its confirmed, we know its going to be BC with PS4 Software, about PS3 leaves a lot to be desired, and being Sony they either put compatibility with one system or none, but im sure if they skip the PS3 part, so as a consequence they will skip PS1/PS2 as well,and keep the PS4 side only.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  6. 1,079
    umart666

umart666 Senior Member

for a fully recapped,delided cecha in perfect condition with aps psu and with pair of new ds3's,original box...i can see myself paying up for it.you can go even further,full sets of official peripherals,1tb ssd...

7. 2
    ashrambo

ashrambo Member

I have a super slim with ps3hen and It shows me: (24º room temperature)
    after 5" in idle: 65º CELL 57º RSX FAN:35%
    after play games: 70º CELL 65º RSX FAN:45%

I will try to change the thermal paste (use one with generic white compound) for one with gray compound.

But I am considering trying to remove the IHS ... Is it advisable with these temperatures or is it excessive?

8. 516
    amirzaim

amirzaim Member

Don't even thinking about removing the CELL IHS on your superslim model. If it still works, then don't fix it.

ashrambo likes this.
  9. 2,221
    Cypher_CG89

Cypher_CG89 Senior Member

Lead Graphic Artist/Dev, VENOM ELITE GAMING
    The only reason the PS5 is BC with PS4 is because the hardware and arctecture is based on the PS4 so no need to add PS4 hardware to it like the BC PS3's which is why they were insanely expensive on launch and the reason Hardware BC was removed from the PS3 to emulation through PS2 classics and stuff.

Also as console progress the hardware is more PC based, like the PS4, than simply engineered for that console like the PS3 and PS2 which where notoriously hard to develope games for for this very reason.

With the PS5 its full hardware BC with PS4> just whack the disc in and off you go and they load insanely fast due to the SSD in the PS5, some PS4 title's will boot in less than 1 second on the PS5> eg BO3 will boot in less than 1 second on the PS5> very impressive.

SuperSlims can handle a hell of a lot more heat then other PS3 models, I would just replace the thermal paste and thats it and not bother thrying to de-lid the CELL/BE at all. Mine was hitting temps 90*C +, it was that hot you could burn your hand on the plastic shell of the PS3, but nothing has broke, all I did was replace the theraml paste and the temps went right down to 55 - 60 and never climb above that anymore and the PS3 still works fine.

The thermal paste I use is Arctic MX-4> not expensive , easy to use and very good quality.

10. 50
    TonyClifton

TonyClifton Member

First time I see the temperatures on my superslim now that I installed irisman. It says 62º and 60º respectively at idle, it's summer here as well so these would probably be 10º lower during winter at the very least.

I still don't find anything above 55º idle very assuring but I'm not too keen on messing with fan controls even tough I'm used to do it on PC.

11. 1,159
    Naked_Snake1995

Graphic Designer
    Super Slims can handle more heat!

[​IMG]